49ers Linebacker Chris Borland Retiring.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":31dp4o03 said:
volsunghawk":31dp4o03 said:
a. Opportunity to reach organizational professional goals
b. Opportunity to reach personal professional goals
c. Opportunity to maximize earning potential
d. Positive work environment
e. Positive work relationships

Okay. Let's take your list and do the thought experiement then, assigning a "PLUS" for areas in which his prospects increased, a "MINUS" for the areas in which his prospects decreased, and an "N/A" for areas in which an assignment would be enitrely too subjective or based on wildly limited knowledge. Then we can add it up and see if the theory holds.

A: Opportunity to reach organizational professional goals: MINUS -- It could be that playing on a believed-to-be Super Bowl contending team is what was keeping Borland in the NFL.

B: Opportunity to reach personal professional goals: PLUS-- Unless his personal professional goal was to be a backup, this year would have ABSOLUTELY been a plus. Unlike last year he was penciled in to be a starter. This is an undeniable plus by your metrics, and not close.

C: Opportunity to maximize earning potential: PLUS -- As a starter he ABSOLUTELY has more opportunity to maximize his earning potential in three years than as a backup. This is too is an undeniable plus by your metrics, and not close.

D: Positive work environment -- N/A, TRENDING PLUS: While in the first three years under Harbaugh, it is no secret that the 9ers were a relatively difficult work environment with lots of conflict, that was particularly the case last year, Borland's one year with the team. Seahawks fans should remember this, as they relished in it. Likewise we know that the F.O. felt that one of the major positives of Tomsula as a hire is that he's a peacemaker, and is well liked throughout the organization. We have to guess on this one, but the positive work environment, if forced to be a guess, has got to be a plus (or we can call it an N/A, whatever).*

E: Positive work relationships -- N/A: We simply don't know. If you have any actual insight into who Borland's friends on the team are, by all means, share it, but we can't assign a valence to this anyway.

So, adding up from the list you constructed yourself, the likelihood of your theory of organizational motivation seems incredibly unlikely. If anything, based on your list, we'd expect Borland to be MORE committed to staying in the NFL than he was last year.

More importantly, just to reiterate, the above was an academic exercise, and IMO, a silly, one. His family is now saying that before even playing a down in the NFL he had serious doubts about if he wanted to play. That this has to do with the team he happened to be playing for simply isn't something I buy. It just doesn't make a lick of sense.

*Also worth saying that it's funny to see Hawks fans, who when Harbaugh was head coach of the 9ers never stopped recounting how much players hate playing for Harbaugh (e.g. Sherman, Baldwin), are now that he's gone arguing that 9ers player want to leave because they're NOT playing for Harbaugh. Riiiiiiiight.

Agreed that all of the above is a completely academic exercise. I disagree with you regarding items B and C at the very least.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
volsunghawk":ge2w3u7i said:
I disagree with you regarding items B and C at the very least.

Okay. Fair enough. Out of curiosity though, how?

He was more likely to reach personal professional goals while sitting behind Patrick Willis rather than starting?

He was more likely to get paid more on his next deal by sitting behind Patrick Willis rather than starting?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Heck, as far as chances for personal accomplishments and eventual salary leverage goes, having a perennial all-pro who's in line ahead of you unexpectedly move out of the way is a dream scenario. It never happens. It's a tongue kiss from Jesus when it comes to personal professional and compensation goals.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/577907354756329473[/tweet]

It has happened before and will happen again.

MOFFITT articleLarge

John Moffitt Rides Rocky Transition to Life After the N.F.L. >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/06/sports/football/john-moffitt-rides-rocky-transition-to-life-after-the-nfl.html?_r=1[/urltargetblank]

kf3339

Reaction score
kpak76":3qlc0ezp said:
kf3339":3qlc0ezp said:
Borland did not retire. He QUIT. There is a big difference.

You don't play only 8 NFL games in your first season and have the right to say that you're RETIRING for any reason. He had no injury or concussion history. If he is afraid of what might happen he should never had put on a helmet in the first place. There are many people who would have loved to get he chance to live that dream of playing in the NFL. Including me.

I am only 5'6" and about 140 pounds. I was even lighter than that in high school and college. I didn't have the size to play, but loved the game. So I became a photojournalist and was able to share a small part of their experience from college to the NFL for 15 years. As much as I enjoyed that part of my life, it just wasn't the same as if I could have put on a helmet and played.

So for me to hear a guy make a statement that includes the word RETIRED with so little actual playing time in the NFL just makes me sick. He has known the risks since he started playing. Coaches, family, medical professionals, ect. had to have made him aware of the risks long before he came to the NFL.

So let's at least get the term right. HE QUIT. That is his legacy. Nothing more to it.

Huh? So because he has the physical tools to play pro football but decides its not for him, and you dont have the physical stature but have a passion for the game gives you the right to call him a quiter? And I'm pretty sure your using I t in a derogatory manner too. Yea truth is, you're a fascist that wants to impose your will on others. In other words, your a nutcase

Your comment to me just makes you look like a really stupid dimwit. See I can do the same thing.

kearly

Reaction score
This isn't just bad news for the 49ers, it's bad news for the NFL as a whole. Borland's retirement made national news. I fully support the guy's decision. But the 'concussions are killing the game' campaign against the NFL just had another watershed moment. And unfortunately, there isn't an easy or painless fix. Dealing with bad PR like a coal mining company might be the least painful way to navigate it. And I'm sure that is exactly the route Goodell would take.

But as long as the status quo remains, you'll have players retiring shockingly young, parents holding their kids out of football, and the threat of lawsuits hanging over the NFL into perpetuity.

kf3339

Reaction score
Marvin49":35s4kij6 said:
kf3339":35s4kij6 said:
Borland did not retire. He QUIT. There is a big difference.

You don't play only 8 NFL games in your first season and have the right to say that you're RETIRING for any reason. He had no injury or concussion history. If he is afraid of what might happen he should never had put on a helmet in the first place. There are many people who would have loved to get he chance to live that dream of playing in the NFL. Including me.

I am only 5'6" and about 140 pounds. I was even lighter than that in high school and college. I didn't have the size to play, but loved the game. So I became a photojournalist and was able to share a small part of their experience from college to the NFL for 15 years. As much as I enjoyed that part of my life, it just wasn't the same as if I could have put on a helmet and played.

So for me to hear a guy make a statement that includes the word RETIRED with so little actual playing time in the NFL just makes me sick. He has known the risks since he started playing. Coaches, family, medical professionals, ect. had to have made him aware of the risks long before he came to the NFL.

So let's at least get the term right. HE QUIT. That is his legacy. Nothing more to it.

uh....that's completely false.

He had no documented concussion history, but stated he had one and hid it in preseason.

The injury history thing tho you are WAAAAYYY off base. He had a TON of injury history with his shoulders in college and that continued into the NFL. Many teams took him off their draft board because of those injuries and its one reason he was still sitting there in the 3rd round. He also ended the year on IR with a bad ankle.

He did not refer to any other injuries, but to the issue about concussions. That has been known for at least 30 years from my own experience in my former profession. so no I'm not off base at all. He had one concussion in the preseason per your comment. You can get a concussion in a traffic accident, falling down and hitting your head, ect. It doesn't mean that it will continue. But football has known about these type of injuries, which means he has known about them too.

So again, he quit which is his right. But I just have a problem with him or anyone using the term retired when they have so little time invested in the position (in his case NFL football). That's all.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ What Borland said doesn't matter. Marvin was responding to you. You said that Borland had no injury or concussion history, which is verifiably false on both counts. You making that claim is bolded in the post you quoted.

As for having a bone to pick with the use of the term "retire" rather than "quit," maybe take it up with the OP and ask him to change the thread title? I don't get the sense that anyone else much cares about that distinction, although it's clearly an important one to you.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
There have been a lot of sudden retirements this offseason. The NFL's nightmare is coming to a head.

Borland and Locker aren't big names.. but a big name will walk away from the game at a young age very soon. And that's when things may get really messy for Goodell.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":ispuorfs said:
This isn't just bad news for the 49ers, it's bad news for the NFL as a whole. Borland's retirement made national news. I fully support the guy's decision. But the 'concussions are killing the game' campaign against the NFL just had another watershed moment. And unfortunately, there isn't an easy or painless fix. Dealing with bad PR like a coal mining company might be the least painful way to navigate it. And I'm sure that is exactly the route Goodell would take.

But as long as the status quo remains, you'll have players retiring shockingly young, parents holding their kids out of football, and the threat of lawsuits hanging over the NFL into perpetuity.

The analogy about the coal mining industry is actually a very good reference point. That industry has known about Black Lung disease for at least 50 years, but miners still do the job. They know the risks to their health. The industry has done a significant amount of effort to minimize the effect, but miners still come down with lung cancer.

To me the NFL is an industry that has potential health risks just like many other job classifications.

kf3339

Reaction score
Popeyejones":9yjgllld said:
^^^^ What Borland said doesn't matter. Marvin was responding to you. You said that Borland had no injury or concussion history, which is verifiably false on both counts. You making that claim is bolded in the post you quoted.

As for having a bone to pick with the use of the term "retire" rather than "quit," maybe take it up with the OP and ask him to change the thread title? I don't get the sense that anyone else much cares about that distinction, although it's clearly an important one to you.

Borland stated the word retired; not the op. I am just referencing that comment by him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kf3339":34vjwify said:
Popeyejones":34vjwify said:

Borland stated the word retired; not the op. I am just referencing that comment by him.

Did he file the retirement paper work that players often do when they leave the league?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lw4vy7j said:
There have been a lot of sudden retirements this offseason. The NFL's nightmare is coming to a head.

Borland and Locker aren't big names.. but a big name will walk away from the game at a young age very soon. And that's when things may get really messy for Goodell.

Maybe.

I think this is a generational thing. There's a new mentality with the youth today, kids that weren't raised with hardass dads telling them to not cry, be tough and act like a "man"............whatever that means.

Youth today are much more confident in being different and not just going with the norm, even in a violent sport like football. So guys like Borland and Moffit have no shame in saying that's enough I don't want this. When 20 years ago they'd be ridiculed and shamed by their peers and family.

kf3339

Reaction score
Uncle Si":a9bfilve said:
kf3339":a9bfilve said:
Popeyejones":a9bfilve said:

Did he file the retirement paper work that players often do when they leave the league?

I don't know, but it's not the point. At least to me. I'm done with this subject.

byau

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1l84xh99 said:
byau":1l84xh99 said:
Overall, you can't fault a guy for making decisions based on health and wanting to have a quality life with friends and family.

Yep, not at all.

TBF, now that news is coming out that his family has known about him thinking about seriously about this decision since before he was drafted, I can also understand why some 9ers fans or even the F.O. feels jilted a little bit.

I don't personally feel that way -- life is complicated, major life decisions are hard -- but I do think it's possible for 9ers fans by annoyed/angry/upset/disappointed by his decision and when he finalized it, while also respecting his right to make it.

Very much this. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned something along the lines that he could have at least done this before FA started to help the 49ers (and I'm sure that this poster is not alone in those thoughts)

I'm thinking similar to what you wrote: this is not an easy decision and I'm sure he did his best to make a timely decision. There is a lot to consider, and according to the article Borland wanted to consider the research, talking to confidants, and in the end he wanted to notify friends and family and teammates first before he went public.

It's not a snap decision to make.

One possible silver lining for the 49ers: if you want a paradigm shift you can perhaps see the team now as more of a blank slate: the new coach being handed more of a blank slate for him to create a team in his vision instead of inheriting one.

Jville

Reaction score
Given the generous example the Seahawks set with Scott Garrett, I think it unlikely that the 49er's would make Borland's signing bonus a refund issue.

49ers haven’t addressed Borland’s signing bonus >>>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/49ers-havent-addressed-borlands-signing-bonus/[/urltargetblank]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I was suprised and not that he "Quit..His family knew he might only play 1 season prior to it starting.The reasons are unknown and he will tell if he chooses to do so .For those saying no football for your kids,I dunno what this has to do with your kids and I don't care what they play.You can put them in a bubble with an i Phone and XBox1 so they won't ever get a boo boo.I think all this being safe crap is just that(my opinion)You get hurt in so many ways and much more than playing a game of football.My son(11yrs old) will play what he likes and has the ability to play until doesn't like whatever sport it is.I played baseball,basketball,football and soccer and never had serious injuries but my vote is soccer for one I got most hurt in.We didn't have these monster thick pads on the shins when I started and you got kicked all over .I guess kids were much tougher as we didn't have cells,computers and home video games and we played hard outside because otherwise you got bored to death.I see way too much soft and sensitive people in the world today.No doubt some of them play pro sports.It's just sad to see that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":71k6fx4v said:
I was suprised and not that he "Quit..His family knew he might only play 1 season prior to it starting.The reasons are unknown and he will tell if he chooses to do so .For those saying no football for your kids,I dunno what this has to do with your kids and I don't care what they play.You can put them in a bubble with an i Phone and XBox1 so they won't ever get a boo boo.I think all this being safe crap is just that(my opinion)You get hurt in so many ways and much more than playing a game of football.My son(11yrs old) will play what he likes and has the ability to play until doesn't like whatever sport it is.I played baseball,basketball,football and soccer and never had serious injuries but my vote is soccer for one I got most hurt in.We didn't have these monster thick pads on the shins when I started and you got kicked all over .I guess kids were much tougher as we didn't have cells,computers and home video games and we played hard outside because otherwise you got bored to death.I see way too much soft and sensitive people in the world today.No doubt some of them play pro sports.It's just sad to see that.

I don't care who you are, there's NO ONE playing in the NFL that isn't tough as hell. You don't get to the NFL without being tough, period.

This is about safety and man's lack of passion for his profession. Who are we to question that?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":2mqmtknh said:
Given the generous example the Seahawks set with Scott Garrett, I think it unlikely that the 49er's would make Borland's signing bonus a refund issue.

49ers haven’t addressed Borland’s signing bonus >>>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/17/49ers-havent-addressed-borlands-signing-bonus/[/urltargetblank]

First, his name is Garrett Scott.

Second, it's a totally different situation. Scott had a heart condition and COULDN'T play. Borland has changed his mind about if he WANTS to play.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised or perturbed if they wanted him to pay back money for work he has chosen not to do. Quite frankly I'd only be surprised if he didn't realize this too.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":124el89h said:
IndyHawk":124el89h said:

I don't care who you are, there's NO ONE playing in the NFL that isn't tough as hell. You don't get to the NFL without being tough, period.

This is about safety and man's lack of passion for his profession. Who are we to question that?
There we go"safety again" :pukeface: I dunno if everyone is tough as hell in any sport.I mean you got so many on DL,PUPand IR and yet you got many others who play on and through without missing games.Passion?Dunno what that has to do with it.He never said why he quit.People assume things for him.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":b6tw3b6o said:
:)
Jville":b6tw3b6o said:

First, his name is Garrett Scott.

Second, it's a totally different. He had a heart condition and COULDN'T play. Borland has changed his mind about if he WANTS to play.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised or perturbed if they wanted him to pay back money for work he has chosen not to do. Quite frankly I'd only be surprised if he didn't realize this too.

That reads like a school master.

With regards to Garrett Scott, you have the name in the correct order. Congratulations.

With regards to the balance of your post, the cultures of the two clubs are very different. So within the Santa Clara frame work it wouldn't entirely surprise me to see the 49ers balk. That of course doesn't dictate how building it into an issue will be received outside of the 49er empire.