49ers Linebacker Chris Borland Retiring.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
You can't tell me he'd be retiring with Harbaugh still coaching. I just really think he wanted to leave that dumpster fire like all their other star players. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) I respect the decision. He probably got his bell rung really hard and it took weeks to feel normal. He may not have told anyone about it which would make it worse as he kept taking hits. Maybe in college, maybe in HS or the pros - who knows. Either way people criticize players for suing - here is a guy doing it right

2) I really don't like the timing. He should have figured it out earlier. He is a paid employee and I believe we owe something to our employers. In this case figure it out before FA begins

3) Maybe he will change his mind in a year when it is worth it taking hits with a 49er jersey on...

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Supposed to have been a nice fallback for Willis. Sad to see him go (healthwise).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Most of the official 49ers forum thinks he's just a wuss of a quitter trying to get away from York. They're treating him pretty harshly.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
risk in a lot of normal jobs too...his decision...niners defence is going to be the laughing stock of the league next year!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Not going to fault the guy at all. Your health is your health.

But for 9er fans. Wow. Thats pretty rough. I as much of anyone lives vicariously through the NFL. It's my hobby, and my distraction. This is a big deal.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2cqzk6d4 said:
Most of the official 49ers forum thinks he's just a wuss of a quitter trying to get away from York. They're treating him pretty harshly.

Id like to think we would be different. Not sure though.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ui3t5e61 said:

Well wouldn't you want to get away from the Yorks and Baalke if you saw someone poking holes in your boat and know that there was no way it was going to get fixed before it went down.

I'm still waiting for the Kaep trade actually.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bwagz54/status/577675890164813826[/tweet]

Give this man his lifetime contract.

12thbrah

Reaction score
borland is making a wise decision. Health over playing the Hawks 2x a year

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sherman4Prez":2tam47r2 said:
You can't tell me he'd be retiring with Harbaugh still coaching. I just really think he wanted to leave that dumpster fire like all their other star players. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back.
Yeah I highly doubt that... With Willis retiring he had a huge opportunity to make a name for himself on that D. I'm pretty sure there's something in his contract that wouldn't allow that anyways

-The Glove-

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3i38fd6l said:
I expect nothing less from that fanbase

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3720c0h0 said:

If it was a Seahawks player retiring they would be saying good for him...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This is all due to the new CBA. Before, rookies could get paid right out the gates. Then it was worth it to them because football doesn't come with any guarantees. Now it comes with even less. Players don't get paid and they might never get paid. Especially with a pool of cheap labor replacements waiting in the wings. It might not have seemed "fair" that rookies came in with bigger contracts than vets, but it was stupid of the players to lobby for cheap rookie contracts. They undermined their own chances of a fat payday.

And with the reality hitting the new rookies entering the league that you have to last four years for peanuts just to maybe get replaced by another player who is cheaper, it suddenly doesn't seem worth the risk anymore.

Sac

Reaction score
It's a contract thing. If he sits out all the way through training camp he can force the 49ers to either add him to the 53 and cut someone else, or cut him if he un-retires.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Erebus":vu3mf2z7 said:
drrew":vu3mf2z7 said:
Incredible...and I couldn't support him any stronger. I love football, but without major changes to the game, my son will not play, and most friends of mine with kids (all sports fans, several season ticket holders) feel the same way.

Mine neither, although he's a scrawny little kid that would never make it anyways. But he won't be playing football at any level. If he really wants to, he can play flag football.
Yet you both have no problem watching the game? I can respect a parents decision, but - to me - it's an inconsistent message. "We can watch, but you can't play." (We're too important, they're not?) Maybe it's just me... but, if I'm going to tell my boys they cannot play, then I have NO business watching it and supporting it.

I have two boys playing (one High School and one in Youth football.) I think if they weren't very good, I'd probably steer them to other things because the risk might not be worth the reward at that point. But, they're passionate about the game (see Bobby Wagner's tweet) and they have enjoyed success on the field. They both have aspirations of playing college ball and I hope they make it. They're training hard year round.

I've read much on the topic and had the opportunity to speak with some key individuals. One of the Youth football leagues actually reported on their site that Soccer players sustain more concussions. (I sort of question that. Perhaps not all football concussions are diagnosed or reported. But, probably not in other sports either.) Anyway, does anyone think folks around the world are about to pull their kids out of soccer?

I was just reporting the Borland retirement to my High School son (RB) and he was telling me about a Riddell helmet in development that isn't a complete hard shell, but made out of something that will limit impact. The game was actually safer when they used to wear leather helmets because the players didn't look to use their helmet as a weapon. These modern day shell helmets were NEVER intended and do not prevent concussions. They were intended to prevent skull fractures.

Further, I think I'm more concerned about childhood obesity than I am football. Get kids off the couch. Yes, there's other things to do - not just football. Wait... ok, yeah. Not just football. ;) I don't follow the guy religiously and rarely watch his show, but Dr. Oz made a statement (after a lot of this CTE business hit the media) about parents choosing to allow their kids to play. They decided the benefits far outweigh the risks. Listening to his reasoned argument and other factors I've read and discussed, I was inclined to agree.

Personally, I think the "heads up" campaign is a joke, though. Mostly because officials don't enforce it. The commercials make it look like the players are out there smiling at everyone and that they can trust their coaches because they've received training. From several years of experience, I have yet to see much progress. Some coaches seem to delight in big hits delivered with risky technique. I don't really see coaches emphasizing anything enough to make a difference. A former Seahawks player (from the 80's era) and others have told me in conversation that it will take years to change because of how football has been coached for so long.

Rocky Seto and the Seahawks are onto something with what they are doing to try to change the game... keeping the integrity while hopefully making it safer. They've sent this out all over the country.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 7a7d74a6b3

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 558292b1a6

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":28zpz29d said:
This is all due to the new CBA. Before, rookies could get paid right out the gates. Then it was worth it to them because football doesn't come with any guarantees. Now it comes with even less. Players don't get paid and they might never get paid. Especially with a pool of cheap labor replacements waiting in the wings. It might not have seemed "fair" that rookies came in with bigger contracts than vets, but it was stupid of the players to lobby for cheap rookie contracts. They undermined their own chances of a fat payday.

And with the reality hitting the new rookies entering the league that you have to last four years for peanuts just to maybe get replaced by another player who is cheaper, it suddenly doesn't seem worth the risk anymore.
Good point

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":yq59slpx said:
TAB420":yq59slpx said:
They just don't want to be there, even the 49ers hate the 49ers. :sarcasm_off:
Seems that way.

As a long-time Seahawks fan who's been through more than a decade's worth of terrible seasons, I know how you feel. No laughter from me.

chris98251

Reaction score
The salary these guys get as a rookie is more then most will make in 20 years employment, high rounders a lifetime, if they have other options great, but few do or pursue them while in school. Time will tell in this case.