2nd Round, Pick #49, Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

ARhawk

Reaction score
Kinda surprised it wasnt Bullard. Reed will be a two down guy because I dont think he offers much pass rush. He is probably the best run defender in the draft so I'm not complaining. Great value.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1at7hwyj said:
It makes a lot of sense imo. Pete said he loved Rubin at 3-tech so getting the best run stuffer in the draft to play beside him at 1-tech is a huge upgrade and a sneaky good move. Really like both picks so far, fairly safe but with plenty of upside. i'm in.

I'm confused, aren't both tackles in a 4-3 considered 3 technique? Isn't a 1 technique a nose tackle in a 3-4?

xgeoff

Reaction score
ARhawk":2a0bket7 said:
Kinda surprised it wasnt Bullard. Reed will be a two down guy because I dont think he offers much pass rush. He is probably the best run defender in the draft so I'm not complaining. Great value.

I just don't get it. We're already good against the run. We have Rubin and Hill (and sometimes Bennett) inside. We need pass rush help, and there are a ton of good pass rushers in the draft, including guys who seem adept at both. This is a real head scratcher for me. Ah, well...

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
xgeoff":1r6pk4va said:
Overseasfan":1r6pk4va said:
It makes a lot of sense imo. Pete said he loved Rubin at 3-tech so getting the best run stuffer in the draft to play beside him at 1-tech is a huge upgrade and a sneaky good move. Really like both picks so far, fairly safe but with plenty of upside. i'm in.

I'm confused, aren't both tackles in a 4-3 considered 3 technique? Isn't a 1 technique a nose tackle in a 3-4?

You can call it a 2i or a 1 technique, it varies depending on the defense. 3-4 has a true nose.

McGruff

Reaction score
xgeoff":19ogddtk said:
Overseasfan":19ogddtk said:

In short, No. Or at least, not always.

In an under front the tackles both shift off center. One ends up between a center and a guard and one between a guard and a tackle. The one off center is a 1-tech, and the one off guard is a 3 tech. 1 tech's general get more double teams and play like a nose ttackle. 3 techs are general better pass rushers and more disruptive.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":1hli7vf5 said:
ARhawk":1hli7vf5 said:

I just don't get it. We're already good against the run. We have Rubin and Hill (and sometimes Bennett) inside. We need pass rush help, and there are a ton of good pass rushers in the draft, including guys who seem adept at both. This is a real head scratcher for me. Ah, well...

One of the reasons we were good against the run plays in San Diego now.

sutz

Reaction score
xgeoff":1rduelhv said:
Overseasfan":1rduelhv said:

Hardly anybody plays a "pure" 4-3 anymore. Most teams use a hybrid version with an NT (1 tech) and a DT (3 tech). They very seldom use a formation where the DTs line up over the two guards in the classic 4-3 style (two 3 techs).

McGruff

Reaction score
My quick observations after watching one game against Georgia.

Dude is lower body strong and plays with incredible leverage. He never goes backwards. Like . . . never. Single teams, double teams, nobody moves him. And often he power people back with authority.

You can't run at him. You just can't. Disengages blockers to engulf runners to both his right and left.

Very good snap recognition and explodes off the snap. He's the first guy moving every time.

His arms are short but strong to throw blockers. Often he literally buries his blocker, sometimes after the snap. Borderline personal foul, but I didn't see him get flagged. But he doesn't quit on plays ever.

Doesn't penetrate or shoot the gap. No counters or moves. Straight up bull rusher.

No pass rush to speak of.

Bottom line. 30+ year old Mebane just got upgraded. Seriously. Against the run, this guy is that good.

chris98251

Reaction score
McGruff":ioxloo4z said:

Dude is lower body strong and plays with incredible leverage. He never goes backwards. Like . . . never. Single teams, double teams, nobody moves him. And often he power people back with authority.

You can't run at him. You just can't. Disengages blockers to engulf runners to both his right and left.

Very good snap recognition and explodes off the snap. He's the first guy moving every time.

His arms are short but strong to throw blockers. Often he literally buries his blocker, sometimes after the snap. Borderline personal foul, but I didn't see him get flagged. But he doesn't quit on plays ever.

Doesn't penetrate or shoot the gap. No counters or moves. Straight up bull rusher.

Bottom line. 30+ year old Mebane just got upgraded. Seriously. Against the run, this guy is that good.

A wasted pick if he can't one up the Belly Roll dance though :)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
McGruff":3kt3ya3p said:

Makes me wonder if they targeted him for the last year as a replacement for Bane, and a cheaper one at that. I especially am wondering this since they moved up to make sure they nabbrd him. From a salary cap standpoint alone this is a good move while taking into consideration his ranking by Jeremiah and your scouting report.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
chris98251":2ztwdm4l said:
McGruff":2ztwdm4l said:

A wasted pick if he can't one up the Belly Roll dance though :)

Truffle Shuffle?

penihawk

Reaction score
Like the pick and he has a chip on his shoulder since he was the last player in the green room. I bet we arent done with the DL yet. :th2thumbs:

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I wanted Billings because of the extra pressure on passers, but this pick is making a lot of sense.

We substitute a lot, so instead of hoping to get a do-it-all stud we essentially piece together a frankenstein monster through subbing.

He is our lock for this draft. I don't see him coming in and failing. As long as he stays healthy he will play at a high level for us.

I like the pick

sutz

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3r6929qn said:
I wanted Billings because of the extra pressure on passers, but this pick is making a lot of sense.

We substitute a lot, so instead of hoping to get a do-it-all stud we essentially piece together a frankenstein monster through subbing.

He is our lock for this draft. I don't see him coming in and failing. As long as he stays healthy he will play at a high level for us.

I like the pick
True, we rotate guys a lot to keep them fresh as well as for situations.

delagator7

Reaction score
Jarran Reed > A'Shawn Robinson > Vernon Butler

Robert Nkemdiche right now is just potential, on field accomplishment doesn't equal his physique and explosiveness. Can't tell you if he is better, just not as productive.