2022 Post: Mone, 2 years 12 mil extension '23 replies

Mick063

Reaction score
Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert etc didn’t start Day One. Hurts and Allen werent impressive until year 2.

I would love Richardson at 5 provided his s2 scores are in the 90th percentile.
You are right.
Burrow-Week 8
Mahomes-Week 17
Herbert -Week 2
Lawrence- Week 1

So Kansas City wasted almost a full season of rookie deal salary on Mahomes. That is supposed to be a good thing? The rest are just semantics. I'm not a big fan of Hurts (I think the Eagles roster is just stacked with great players) or Allen. They are good but not Burrow good. To me, two of the four listed are the top tier young quarterbacks. Burrow and Mahomes. You give me a Burrow or Mahomes and I would ghost Geno quicker than an overweight tinder date. Richardson just AIN"T that guy.

Seattle is not taking Richardson at #5. It would be stupid to do so. He is a project. He will likely be out of the league in five years. Geno leads the league in accuracy, and folks are in love with a 54% thrower that can do impressive back flips. A NFL quality QB should be killing it in college because the throwing windows tighten up significantly in the NFL. We are talking about a guy that will likely complete less than half of his passes unless the staff cuts the playbook by 75% and holds his hand every step of the way. Sheesh. Talk about three and out. Hell, pull off a trade and take Young if you want a QB that bad. I could at least live with that.

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
You are right.
Burrow-Week 8
Mahomes-Week 17
Herbert -Week 2
Lawrence- Week 1

So Kansas City wasted almost a full season of rookie deal salary on Mahomes. That is supposed to be a good thing? The rest are just semantics. I'm not a big fan of Hurts (I think the Eagles roster is just stacked with great players) or Allen. They are good but not Burrow good. To me, two of the four listed are the top tier young quarterbacks. Burrow and Mahomes. You give me a Burrow or Mahomes and I would ghost Geno quicker than an overweight tinder date. Richardson just AIN"T that guy.

Seattle is not taking Richardson at #5. It would be stupid to do so. He is a project. He will likely be out of the league in five years. Geno leads the league in accuracy, and folks are in love with a 54% thrower that can do impressive back flips. A NFL quality QB should be killing it in college because the throwing windows tighten up significantly in the NFL. We are talking about a guy that will likely complete less than half of his passes unless the staff cuts the playbook by 75% and holds his hand every step of the way. Sheesh. Talk about three and out. Hell, pull off a trade and take Young if you want a QB that bad. I could at least live with that.

I would say kc considers that year an investment. A plan.

Pcjs said theyd have to consider qbs because picking this high is so rare. Yes, the odds aren’t great, but they get much worse into Day 2 and 3.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You are right.
Burrow-Week 8
Mahomes-Week 17
Herbert -Week 2
Lawrence- Week 1

I agree with you. But look at guys like Lance and Trubisky. All it takes is one GM to fall in love with one of these guys -- and even trade up to get him. It is like going to the store and buying a lottery ticket with hopes of getting out of your miserable situation. If you can't find a franchise QB, you lose. And the GM's know the clock is ticking on their jobs, so they roll the dice.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Even though Smith is zero tech size I consider him more of a 3 tech would be good option for your Bears. I do see Hawks waiting for the mid rounds for a NT
That is one of the things I like about Smith. He is a solid run defender but also gives you the bonus of being quick enough to penetrate into the backfield on passing downs. Teaming him up with Carter gives us the inside penetration to collapse the pocket. I think he is worth taking at #20 if there’s nothing better on the board at that point. By the mid rounds, he will be gone.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
An experienced big body, run stuffer in the right set and hard to move. Really good move by the front office. Mone’ is a poor man’s Vita Vea

bileever

Reaction score
Any word on when Mone might be playing again? Back in January, Pete gave us some bad news about the condition of Mone's knee but wasn't clear on what to expect about recovery time. I've read about how he's going to miss a chunk of games in 2023, but that wasn't based on anything specific. Also, do we know what the injury was? Was it an ACL?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Freeing up cap as well.

My guess is a Nwosu and/or Diggs extension is also imminent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
??? Was something done with Mone's contract? The original post is from last year. I haven't read anything about Mone's contract being re-structured.

My bad, I was on vacation all last week. I thought this was a new extension.

But the we're probably going to extend Diggs and Nwosu comment stands, I think one of both those things gets done to free up some cap this week or next.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I hope Mone’ makes it back from the ACL. Not sure the extent of the injury

Fade

Reaction score
The pay the JAGs, ef the superstars mentality is going to be the death of Pete Carroll.
Predictably predictable…

The team continues to hurt themselves by paying guys big money that no one else would.

Maybe one day they will learn. They did it again this year already paying Nick Bellore an over the hill FB, and career backup O-Lineman Phil Haynes off of the top of my head.

Dissly's contract is an albatross, etc.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I hope Mone’ makes it back from the ACL. Not sure the extent of the injury
I think he'll be cut before June 1 when his roster bonus is due. They would save about $5M against the cap for a guy who probably won't play half of next season. You look at the reports of his knee injury and it's pretty bad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Predictably predictable…

The team continues to hurt themselves by paying guys big money that no one else would.

Maybe one day they will learn. They did it again this year already paying Nick Bellore an over the hill FB, and career backup O-Lineman Phil Haynes off of the top of my head.

Dissly's contract is an albatross, etc.
Shocker, another amazing "fade take" 🥱🥱🥱🥱

themunn

Reaction score
You are right.
Burrow-Week 8
Mahomes-Week 17
Herbert -Week 2
Lawrence- Week 1

Mahomes signed a 4 year rookie contract at $16m with a $3m cap hit in year 1. That's less than we're paying Drew Lock this year. So it's absolutely fine to have a rookie sit out his first year and still get the benefit of 3 years rookie contract plus 1 year 5th year option which, even if he turns out to be the next Mahomes is still significantly less than market value (2+ pro-bowls in first 3 years would be around what Geno is making this year).

Now, whether or not he *will* be the next Mahomes is a different question. You mention Burrow - when he was 20 years old (like Richardson) he was still at Ohio State. He transferred to LSU the following year and in his first year as a starter posted a statline almost identical to Richardson's (comparison below):

12 games - 176-327 (53.8%) 2549 yards (212 YPG) 7.8 YPA, 17 TDs, 9 Ints, 654 rush yards, 9 TDs
13 games - 219-379 (57.8 YPA), 2894 YPG (222.6 YPG) 7.6 YPA, 16 TDs, 5 Ints, 399 rush yards, 7 TDs

Of course his next season he exploded, and posted a statline worthy of #1 overall, but who is to say that with 2 more years in college Richardson wouldn't also improve immeasurably? The question for the coaches is whether they think they can coax that out of him - but if you think you can you absolutely pick him if you can.

Mick063

Reaction score
Mahomes signed a 4 year rookie contract at $16m with a $3m cap hit in year 1. That's less than we're paying Drew Lock this year. So it's absolutely fine to have a rookie sit out his first year and still get the benefit of 3 years rookie contract plus 1 year 5th year option which, even if he turns out to be the next Mahomes is still significantly less than market value (2+ pro-bowls in first 3 years would be around what Geno is making this year).

Now, whether or not he *will* be the next Mahomes is a different question. You mention Burrow - when he was 20 years old (like Richardson) he was still at Ohio State. He transferred to LSU the following year and in his first year as a starter posted a statline almost identical to Richardson's (comparison below):

12 games - 176-327 (53.8%) 2549 yards (212 YPG) 7.8 YPA, 17 TDs, 9 Ints, 654 rush yards, 9 TDs
13 games - 219-379 (57.8 YPA), 2894 YPG (222.6 YPG) 7.6 YPA, 16 TDs, 5 Ints, 399 rush yards, 7 TDs

Of course his next season he exploded, and posted a statline worthy of #1 overall, but who is to say that with 2 more years in college Richardson wouldn't also improve immeasurably? The question for the coaches is whether they think they can coax that out of him - but if you think you can you absolutely pick him if you can.
Mahomes rookie deal verse Drew Lock veteran deal is comparing apples to oranges. And thanks for proving my point that Kansas City wasted a year of that Mahome's rookie contract. Anybody with a lick of sense knows that a QB on a rookie deal inherently opens up the contender window. But it isn't the end all because it is only true if the QB is really good. Or at least that his skill level can compensate for the lack of game experience that a veteran can provide.

Forget what Burrow did as a sophomore. He proved his worth on the college field. Starting with the fact that he is a champion. Richardson hasn't proved crap and you are projecting when you claim he will make the same leap. The difference between Burrow and Richardson as college players is that Burrow was developed on the college dime and was game ready as a rookie. Richardson will have to be developed on the Seahawks dime and won't be ready for two years. That means you only get three years of rookie contract productivity out of the guy. Then you have to make that 50 million per year decision. At least with Burrow, you get the full five years of value. You don't spend a once per decade top ten pick on a guy that can only be cost effectively used for three years. You want the full five years of rookie deal value. In other words, you develop quarterbacks with third round picks, not top 5 picks.

Richardson is NOT the guy. He is a 54% college thrower. That is ridiculously bad. He is a project. Mentioning Mahomes or Burrow in the same breath as Richardson is some serious gaslighting. Richardson is Blake Bortles/EJ Manuel/Jamarcus Russell/Matt Leinart/Brady Quinn/Josh Freeman/etc. etc. etc. In other words, another first round bust.

Last edited:

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I think he'll be cut before June 1 when his roster bonus is due. They would save about $5M against the cap for a guy who probably won't play half of next season. You look at the reports of his knee injury and it's pretty bad.

I obviously trust you, but I don't see where you get $5M.

If I'm reading it right, on OTC, a pre June cut saves $2.2M. Which is actually closer to $1.5M in true savings if we replace him with a rookie. Am I missing something?

In other news, I hadn't heard the reports on his knee. That's a bummer.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's worse than that because if Mone is still hurt going into the season then NFL injury protection kicks in for $2m. Once you factor that in, and the potential for injury protection in 2024 then the cap savings is probably closer to 750k.

It's hard to project without knowing the medical details but I'm expecting that he'll spend the first half of the 2023 season on the IR, with a possible return at the end of the year. If he doesn't make it back at all then we'd probably be looking at a release coupled with an injury settlement payout either late this season so we can rollover a bit more cap or early in the 2024 timeframe.