2022 NFL season's top 10 tight ends

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sharing snaps with Noah Fant -- who came over to Seattle in the Russell Wilson trade -- Dissly is the only player on this top-10 list to have played fewer than 70 percent of his team's snaps.

But it's Dissly's quality over quantity that has propelled him to the No. 6 spot, as he has been ruthlessly efficient when given a chance to make plays. Dissly boasts a staggering 144.3 passer rating when targeted this season, which leads all players who have been targeted at least 15 times. Only one target intended for Dissly has fallen to the ground all season, as Dissly's 20.0 percent catch rate over expected leads all tight ends

sutz

Reaction score
K & R this post. It is so nice to see our TEs being so involved with the offense, and to see Dissly finally getting to show all of his talents.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
K & R this post. It is so nice to see our TEs being so involved with the offense, and to see Dissly finally getting to show all of his talents.
It is soooo nice to finally see this. Having 3 solid TE's takes Dissley's #'s down compared other TE's in the league, but the effectiveness they provide as a unit has been fun to watch. Inability to use TE's was definitely a Russ weakness.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It is soooo nice to finally see this. Having 3 solid TE's takes Dissley's #'s down compared other TE's in the league, but the effectiveness they provide as a unit has been fun to watch. Inability to use TE's was definitely a Russ weakness.
I don't believe inability to use TEs was a Russ weakness. He threw to Everett quite a bit last season. Everett had the 3rd most receptions behind DK and Tyler. Wilson also threw to Dissly, Jacob Hollister, in prior seasons too.

I do agree it's great to see TEs used in other ways than just for blocking purposes. Kudos to Waldron to rediscovering this value of them.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I don't believe inability to use TEs was a Russ weakness. He threw to Everett quite a bit last season. Everett had the 3rd most receptions behind DK and Tyler. Wilson also threw to Dissly, Jacob Hollister, in prior seasons too.

I do agree it's great to see TEs used in other ways than just for blocking purposes. Kudos to Waldron to rediscovering this value of them.
Russ routinely left them open in the middle of the field and on the hashes. Not sure what games you were watching.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russ routinely left them open in the middle of the field and on the hashes. Not sure what games you were watching.
That doesn't mean it's a weakness. He was able to throw to them, just did it when he wanted to. A weakness is something someone can't do or struggles to do. Choosing not to do something isn't a "weakness". He did use TEs when he wanted to.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
That doesn't mean it's a weakness. He was able to throw to them, just did it when he wanted to. A weakness is something someone can't do or struggles to do. Choosing not to do something isn't a "weakness". He did use TEs when he wanted to.
He can't see the middle of the field. That's a weakness. Russ is garbage.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

So....its not that he couldnt pass to wide open receivers in the middle of the field......he just "didnt want to"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

hawkfan68

Reaction score
So....its not that he couldnt pass to wide open receivers in the middle of the field......he just "didnt want to"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I said he threw to the TEs when he wanted to. He threw enough passes to the TEs where Everett was the 3rd leading receiver on the team in 2021 and Hollister had the 3rd most receptions on the team in 2019. I was answering to a comment made where he doesn't use TEs. Once I provided some information to counter that, another poster changed the criteria to "He's weakness was middle of the field and Russ is garbage". Which I was not arguing that point at all.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't believe it mattered where he threw the ball and to whom he threw it to when the Seahawks were winning. Were you complaining when he was throwing TD passes to Metcalf and Lockett while a TE or another player was sitting in the middle of field wide open?

Last edited:

massari

Reaction score
I wonder why they mostly used him as a blocker the past two seasons when he showed so much as a receiver in his first two seasons before injury

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I said he threw to the TEs when he wanted to. He threw enough passes to the TEs where Everett was the 3rd leading receiver on the team in 2021 and Hollister had the 3rd most receptions on the team in 2019. I was answering to a comment made where he doesn't use TEs. Once I provided some information to counter that, another poster changed the criteria to "He's weakness was middle of the field and Russ is garbage". Which I was not arguing that point at all.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't believe it mattered where he threw the ball and to whom he threw it to when the Seahawks were winning. Were you complaining when he was throwing TD passes to Metcalf and Lockett while a TE or another player was sitting in the middle of field wide open?

Most of the time he was "choosing" not to throw to wide open TE's in the middle of the field when it was 3rd and 3.

He chose rather to bomb it deep and missed often leading to a 3 and out. Because he wanted to be a hero

So yeah I noticed.
We all did

Thank god hes gone

Torc

Reaction score
I wonder why they mostly used him as a blocker the past two seasons when he showed so much as a receiver in his first two seasons before injury
Because the QB kept going off-script, leaving the pocket and getting creamed. Keeping the TEs in blocking helped him survive.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

Multiple analytics published show Russ's inability to utilize short to mid range between the hashes, where TE's earn their bread 'n butter. Many believe that has to do with his inability to see that part of the field due to his height. Call it what you want...I call it a weakness.

massari

Reaction score
Because the QB kept going off-script, leaving the pocket and getting creamed. Keeping the TEs in blocking helped him survive.
Wilson is the scapegoat for all, I get it, but what I don't is how everyone praises Carroll when he's the guy who kept Wilson as one of the highest paid QBs for so long, especially when they had the great Geno Smith right there in front of them.

Seinfeld   whats the deal

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yeah, seems weird that the coach would keep bringing in "Garbage" Wilson when "Middle of the field" Smith was idling on the bench.

keasley45

Reaction score
Multiple analytics published show Russ's inability to utilize short to mid range between the hashes, where TE's earn their bread 'n butter. Many believe that has to do with his inability to see that part of the field due to his height. Call it what you want...I call it a weakness.

Shhhhh. It's just hate.

And it's not true that he can't see the middle of the field, it's that he chooses not to?

Mick063

Reaction score
Two things can be true at the same time. Wilson could routinely throw to his tight end and Wilson could also be ineffective with utilizing his tight ends in the middle of the field.

Look up the "Bootleg Waggle" play. That is how Wilson primarily used his tight end. In fact, that was Wison's signature "go to" play and it was designed with the tight end as the primary target. Seattle ran that play 4-6 times a game, if not more. The play also features a streaking receiver ("Z" receiver in the video) on a fly pattern as a tertiary target and Wilson often looked for that "chunk play" as well. In other words, he didn't throw to the tight end every time they ran the play. If I was a betting man, I would lay money that more than 50% of Wilsons throws to the tight end came on the play depicted in this video (or a very similar variant, the tight end usually went 5-10 yards deeper than the play Rob Ryan drew up and he was the 1st read instead of the 2nd read).

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Why isn't George Kittle on this list? He's the best blocking tight end in the game IMO. Too often these rankings only look at the receiving stats, and that's just half of what goes into making a good tight end. The best TE we've had in Pete's regime was Zach Miller.