2020 Overpaid JAG millstones & what we coulda got instead?

Fade

Reaction score
themunn":pavj21h7 said:
Fade":pavj21h7 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1264276324643897351[/tweet]

I will take

RT Jack Conklin for $8M
DE Robert Quinn for $6.1M
DE Dante Fowler for $6.7M
CB Quinton Dunbar for $3.4M

With plenty of money left over to fill out the roster and over pay some guys if necessary like a Greg Olsen and a Jarran Reed.

The cap hit of just Conklin, Quinn and Fowler in 2021 is $46.5m, and in 2022 it's $51m. Conklin even carries a dead cap hit of $6m in 2023 despite being a free agent that year because of the way Cleveland have constructed the contract.

And that's why the Bears, Browns and Falcons won't come close to winning a title any time soon.

Not really. Fowler's contract is easy to get out of in '21 if he under performs, which really balloons that number.

The Bears don't have a QB, or they would be true contenders. The Browns look pretty good, but Baker probably isn't the answer. And the Falcons roster is a dumpster fire outside outside of Julio and Matt Ryan. These UFA signings have very little to do with their respective futures.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks with those players would greatly increase their chances to win the Super Bowl this year. If the Seahawks do not go on a deep playoff run this season, best believe they will go this route next off-season. They will be cutting under performing, overpriced veterans, extending Jamal Adams to lower his number, and they are going to go get a couple of impact defensive players.

massari

Reaction score
massari":1gjxmevq said:
Release KJ Wright if need be to get this done, especially after they drafted Brooks 1st rd. And this way Blair wouldn't have gotten his knee blown out :p
Tenor

massari

Reaction score
Chef Russ and the offense can get by with JAG RT's like Shell/Ifedi, so Conklin seems more like a luxury signing, if affordable beyond this season, after getting Dunbar, Adams and two top pass rushers.

Either way, Fade for GM

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
massari":203650tb said:
massari":203650tb said:
Release KJ Wright if need be to get this done, especially after they drafted Brooks 1st rd. And this way Blair wouldn't have gotten his knee blown out :p
Tenor

LOL! Well played, massari. Appreciate the return to the thread.

KJ has lit it up, and may be more than JAG this season.

Fade

Reaction score
massari":2olb0z49 said:
Chef Russ and the offense can get by with JAG RT's like Shell/Ifedi, so Conklin seems more like a luxury signing, if affordable beyond this season, after getting Dunbar, Adams and two top pass rushers.

Either way, Fade for GM

I definitely follow your logic by going with a JAG at RT for the short term to save money, given Wilson's ability to scramble.

But I am thinking the next 3 years with Conklin at OT. You see, Duane Brown is really old, and in 1 or 2 years, they're going to need both, a LT and a RT.

So my thinking was get a stud at that spot and give yourself the best chance to win right now in 2020 by replacing the worst RT in the league with one of the best RTs in the league. Then when Duane Brown retires or maybe even is just injured, you know at least the rightside of the O-LIne is solidified (Lewis & Conklin).

That is really all the offense needs going forward. They are loaded at WR, TE, RB, with good depth at Guard, and Center. OT will look real spooky if Duane Brown gets hurt or retires. Duane Brown is currently the 2nd most important player on the team due to lack of talent at the OT position.

Also Wilson is getting older, and I would like to see the team do a better job of protecting him, now in his 30s. They are doing a very good job right now here in 2020, the best pass pro he has had since 2012, but that will go right out the window if Duane Brown is suddenly out of the picture. The Seahawks are playing with fire, like relying on a 30 yr old RB. Age 35-36, that is when LTs start to breakdown.

The Seahawks need to get out in front of this. I will be absolutely livid if they neglect the OT spot this upcoming off-season. In the meantime i will just have to continue to keep my fingers crossed that Duane Brown can remain healthy and in the lineup for the rest of the season.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":11fj2djb said:
I definitely follow your logic by going with a JAG at RT for the short term to save money, given Wilson's ability to scramble.

But I am thinking the next 3 years with Conklin at OT. You see, Duane Brown is really old, and in 1 or 2 years, they're going to need both, a LT and a RT.

So my thinking was get a stud at that spot and give yourself the best chance to win right now in 2020 by replacing the worst RT in the league with one of the best RTs in the league. Then when Duane Brown retires or maybe even is just injured, you know at least the rightside of the O-LIne is solidified (Lewis & Conklin).

That is really all the offense needs going forward. They are loaded at WR, TE, RB, with good depth at Guard, and Center. OT will look real spooky if Duane Brown gets hurt or retires. Duane Brown is currently the 2nd most important player on the team due to lack of talent at the OT position.

Also Wilson is getting older, and I would like to see the team do a better job of protecting him, now in his 30s. They are doing a very good job right now here in 2020, the best pass pro he has had since 2012, but that will go right out the window if Duane Brown is suddenly out of the picture. The Seahawks are playing with fire, like relying on a 30 yr old RB. Age 35-36, that is when LTs start to breakdown.

The Seahawks need to get out in front of this. I will be absolutely livid if they neglect the OT spot this upcoming off-season. In the meantime i will just have to continue to keep my fingers crossed that Duane Brown can remain healthy and in the lineup for the rest of the season.
Sounds like a good plan.

Without a 1st for the next two years, and the fact that teams rarely let good LTs go, they'd need a miracle there if Brown retires/gets injured.

Was hoping they'd load up with OL at the draft, with it being considered a deep, talented group, while DL not so much.

Would've been nice to come out with RT Isaiah Wilson, Damien Lewis and a LT prospect a bit later like a Matt Peart or Saahdiq Charles, after signing a couple of those top free agent pass rushers.

Maybe the Browns would trade Conklin for Shell and Finney next off-season :p

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
There's also this now:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1316027146280738819[/tweet]