2020 Defense could be Legendary

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you still claim this is a "historically bad defense" based on a single statistic then it says a lot more about you then it does about anything else.

It is true that they are #27 in NY/A (Net Yards per Passing attempt) with 7.4 and that needs to be improved. However, as others have explained many times that is a heavily situational stat. When teams are trailing to the Seahawks they are forced to take riskier plays which have high expected averages but also huge downsides.

That's why also knowing that we are #1 in Takeaways is every bit as important. While teams have thrown it a lot against us and been successful most of the time, in doing so they have also turned it over more against us than any other team in the NFL.

There are many other stats that also add necessary context:
#18 in EXP (Total Defense)
#5 in Rushing Defense
#5 in fewest Penalty yardage
#24 in drives ending a score
#18 in average depth of target
#14 in Blitz %
#19 in QB Hurry %
#17 in Missed Tackles
#25 in YAC allowed

Statistically this has been an average defense with extreme variance (boom or bust).

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2oc44ka0 said:
Its not nearly as bad as some people want to make it
It is. And worse. Soft zone.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Injuries. If we get everybody back, and they stay healthy.... MAYBE top 15 D. That, coupled with our O?? Yeah, decent shot at the trophy.... and wouldn't that be something?? Gotta make it past a lot of obstacles though.... Like I said, injuries. 49ers are hating life about now.

Sealake80

Reaction score
The only way this D will ever be considered legendary is to improve just enough for us to win the Super Bowl. Totally possible!

Reaction score
It's ridiculous how soft this defence is. No matter how ineffective, it's just this mentality of sitting back, giving easy yards, sitting back further, allowing first downs. It's not tight, aggressive or hard to play against. It's genuinely what you'd use on Madden if you were playing a kid who you wanted to have some success.

This defence can be good but it needs to be aggressive. Tighter coverage, more blitzing...just stop making the games easy for the opposition.

W

Welshers

BoltonWanderer":fa82nbgk said:
It's ridiculous how soft this defence is. No matter how ineffective, it's just this mentality of sitting back, giving easy yards, sitting back further, allowing first downs. It's not tight, aggressive or hard to play against. It's genuinely what you'd use on Madden if you were playing a kid who you wanted to have some success.

This defence can be good but it needs to be aggressive. Tighter coverage, more blitzing...just stop making the games easy for the opposition.
seems like we have blitzed a lot today... and he still has all day to throw...

TypeSly

Reaction score
Bills first 4 possessions: TD, TD, FG, TD... so far.

Fade

Reaction score
Oh, there going to be legendary alright. :lol: :lol:

Worst in NFL History...

PNW

Reaction score
Well at least the D-line looked a little better, Dunlap is great!! Dunbar has looked trash all game though :(

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Fade":o5rw0k6k said:

Worst in NFL History...

Yikes, I kept thinking of this thread throughout the game.
Our defense is legendarily terrible

TypeSly

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1dyhnl7n said:
Fade":1dyhnl7n said:

Worst in NFL History...

Yikes, I kept thinking of this thread throughout the game.
Our defense is legendarily terrible

Me too :mrgreen: . The OP couldn't have picked a worse time to post this thread :mrgreen: .

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Has everybody gotton there just jab at me. Will I changed the title to this thread. I feel like the worst 12 that has ever lived right now. My MIGHTY Seahawks have crashed and burned. So, go ahead and ridicule me all you want, its ok, I can take it. Deservedly so.

Cheers Chawker

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being optimistic.

This team has the pieces to be much better.

Nobody expected Norton to be the worst DC ever to coach in the NFL, even though I expected him to be terrible....I never expected THAT kind of terrible.

I was kind of hoping you were right. Dunlap looks a good fit. He is getting pressure for us.

The problem is that the QB just throws the ball to receivers in soft coverage. Even worse, even with soft coverage our guys miss the tackles and allow good YAC regularly.

Imagine it goes down at the end of the year as the worst defense in NFL history. Fitting Carroll gets that attached to his name after creating one of the best defenses in NFL history.

We were allowing teams in the RZ regularly but they were not scoring TDs. Turns out that was more a function of them been bad teams than our defense being good, or even moderately effective.

Would have rathered to see Chawker be right.

Just don't see any upside with Norton as our DC.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with optimistic, yes. But using the word "Legendary" is a little bit silly in the midst of possibly the worst defence in the history of the NFL. Besides, even if our defense was very good, it would take a lot of time to say legendary about any Seattle defence, post LOB.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/1325920703690862593[/tweet]
Legends. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Buck up OP. Change the title back. This could become an epic thread where everyone talks about the defense for the rest of the season. :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Ok, I changed it back. But, my optimism isn't.

Sumting gotta give, we are getting healther. Are guys should be doing better then the way they are playing. :white_flag:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
LEGENDARY

Maybe the D can get their scoring average up to 35, even 40 points a game.

That would be legendary for sure.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fade":3df6ehy4 said:

Worst in NFL History...

In every way this is unfortunately the whole truth. This defence is truly the worst in NFL history, and it's worst by a lot. At present they are setting records every game with how many passing yards are being given up. At present they can't stop anyone.