2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

sutz

Reaction score
Not sure we can unload Seager, and he still has a very good glove. But he and Z should probably be batting 8/9 every game until they wake up. If you want a lefty bat after Cruz you could always move the Span/Gamel platoon into that spot.

:229031_shrug:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
sutz":3joaso8p said:
Not sure we can unload Seager, and he still has a very good glove. But he and Z should probably be batting 8/9 every game until they wake up. If you want a lefty bat after Cruz you could always move the Span/Gamel platoon into that spot.

:229031_shrug:

The myth of Zuninos default being good needs to die. He’d had one of two stints if being good for a time. He’s a bad hitter sometimes posing as an alright one

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah we left a ton of RISP last night, I was worried it would come back to bite us.

How scared was everyone when they showed Nicasio getting warmed up with only a 2 run lead in the 7th inning? So glad they opted to bring Colome instead of him in the game.

We took care of business, just like we should tonight. Felix has been pretty good this month outside of the game in Tampa. That's now 3 consecutive good starts for him, maybe he has figured it out.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Maybe this is the game where Seager turns his season around. Pax looked great, velocity was back up in the 95-97 mph range. I'm fine with the Sox taking care of the Angels, I'm hoping we can go into the All-Star break with about a 7 game lead on them.

avengerboater

Reaction score
I'll give credit where it's due, Seager was solid tonight. Heck, he won the game for us all by himself. Let's hope this turns things around for him, but I don't think it'll happen till after the All Star Break.

Tonight was a glimpse of how our team can go from having a stacked lineup if everyone's healthy (Dee, Jean, Cano, Cruz, Haniger, Seager, Healy, Span/Heredia/Gamel, Zunino/Herrmann), to a lineup that has serious holes if either Dee, Jean, or Cruz is missing.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3t3v5e6v said:
Maybe this is the game where Seager turns his season around. Pax looked great, velocity was back up in the 95-97 mph range. I'm fine with the Sox taking care of the Angels, I'm hoping we can go into the All-Star break with about a 7 game lead on them.
Nice win...
On Pax..Doesn't he have 100mph velo?Of course I know he doesn't do it all the time
but when you say back up to 95-97 what was it down to?I can't watch them so I have
no idea and he is my favorite pitcher so just wondering is all.
Go M's!!!

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2m838es6 said:
Hawk-Lock":2m838es6 said:
Nice win...
On Pax..Doesn't he have 100mph velo?Of course I know he doesn't do it all the time
but when you say back up to 95-97 what was it down to?I can't watch them so I have
no idea and he is my favorite pitcher so just wondering is all.
Go M's!!!
I don't remember Pax hitting 100 mph. Diaz does it fairly regular, and I think Pazos can hit that, but I think Pax maxes out at about 97/98. In any event, it is still about location and hitting his spots more than raw speed. He gets lots of rotation too, so his throws can be lively when they hit the zone.

Last turn, Pax was throwing low 90's, and both the Yanks and the Sox were kind of sitting on it. It wasn't just the velo, his pitches weren't really crisp. Bit of a mid season mini-slump. Everybody hits a rough stretch. Was his old self last night.

Now, let's hope we can secure the series win tonight, then Thursday is almost a throwaway game. Almost. ;)

DJrmb

Reaction score
Paxton is mostly an upper 90's guy when he's right but he does hit 100 from time to time.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/994032844539355136[/tweet]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah his velocity was down in the low 90's on his previous two bad starts against the Sox and Yanks. I read somewhere that prior to the game Mel told him to let it rip against the Orioles. Not sure the reason for the velocity dip in those two games.

I've always believed that a great fastball is arguably the best pitch in baseball. It sets up all the other pitches. If you look at all the best pitchers in baseball today, they can all throw in the upper 90's: Kluber, Scherzer, Severino, Verlander, DeGrom, Sale, Paxton, etc. Personally, I think the M's could use another starter who throws mid to upper 90's. Other than Paxton, most are starters can only hit low 90's. Our bullpen however, they can light it up.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":10t6bxxs said:
Yeah his velocity was down in the low 90's on his previous two bad starts against the Sox and Yanks. I read somewhere that prior to the game Mel told him to let it rip against the Orioles. Not sure the reason for the velocity dip in those two games.

I've always believed that a great fastball is arguably the best pitch in baseball. It sets up all the other pitches. If you look at all the best pitchers in baseball today, they can all throw in the upper 90's: Kluber, Scherzer, Severino, Verlander, DeGrom, Sale, Paxton, etc. Personally, I think the M's could use another starter who throws mid to upper 90's. Other than Paxton, most are starters can only hit low 90's. Our bullpen however, they can light it up.
Yeah, while finesse pitchers can still be effective, essentially the M's now have 3 or 4 of them in the rotation. That's probably too much.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3qi9lmew said:
We are looking at happ or boyd.

Don't really want either one. I know Happ has good numbers this season, but I don't think he is the missing piece to put us over the top. IMO Happ is a good #3, I think we need a legit #1/#2 type of pitcher. Boyd's teammate Fulmer would be nice, but doubt we can get him. Rays have some nice arms and will likely be sellers. If we could get Archer or Snell I'd be willing to sell on some prospects for them.

LeBlanc looks like he is coming back down to earth, which was expected. With how Felix has pitched as of late, wouldn't shock me if LeBlanc gets moved out of the rotation if we do trade for a starting pitcher.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Colome really has not been very good since we traded for him. Starting to think we may want to go with Pazos as the set up guy. His ERA with the M's is almost 7. Might want to rethink his role in the pen.

EDIT: SEAGER!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2v7tlesp said:
Colome really has not been very good since we traded for him. Starting to think we may want to go with Pazos as the set up guy. His ERA with the M's is almost 7. Might want to rethink his role in the pen.
Yeah, he's pretty awful. Remember, he had close to a 4.50 ERA with the Rays this year, so he's been pretty bad all year. I'm ready to chalk this up as yet another failure of a pitcher centered trade by Dipoto.