2014 Summer Transfer Window

Uncle Si

Reaction score
and the 8-9 pages of silly banter over which clubs fans are the more idiotic from a couple United fans on here before? (nor mentioning the absolute truck loads of s--- every Liverpool fan has absorbed from their United friends the last 4 years... to be honest Smurf, you're being over simplistic and ridiculously oversensitive, and I love talking the sport with you)

I mean I guess I dont see where any of my posts about United have come across as "hate". Gate's "treatment" as you call it have been in response to some of his posts. he loves to post about Arsenal. I've responded (at times, admittedly, far too harshly... frankly i was an a--hole to him for no good reason. i dont think i've come close to that in responding to anything you've written).

However, you dont really talk that much about United. i'd be happy to discuss them when you did. Really you've just posted quick bits about potential incoming targets. How are we supposed to respond?

I'm along the same lines as peaches though. I dont rate them that highly. LvG is their best player because he may be able to reawaken some players there who clearly underperformed last season. the question really will be if United's dismal performance last season was Moyes or the players. I, like peaches, side that the many of the players just arent that good, and are diminishing value rather than waiting to be re-energized. Just my opinion. I think they will find life in the Prem alot tougher than their preseason. they will have a strong start, as the schedule favors them a bit. But I can see them bogging down.

I'm also very prepared for the other... LvG reignites the players, United quickly rise to the top of the table, settle in and maintain a top 4 position throughout the season. Honestly, much like Liverpool, United is a wild card with lots of questions to be answered.

The Di Maria thing, well, even googling it doesnt lend much to the credence of the reports. it all seems speculation, hearsay and even a bit of trolling. And while United can boast a chance at a return to glory for a player like Di Maria, think about what he is giving up.

to me, it just doesnt add up (and I'm hoping i'm right obviously)

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1fqzvtpu said:
and the 8-9 pages of silly banter over which clubs fans are the more idiotic from a couple United fans on here before? (nor mentioning the absolute truck loads of s--- every Liverpool fan has absorbed from their United friends the last 4 years... to be honest Smurf, you're being over simplistic and ridiculously oversensitive, and I love talking the sport with you)

I mean I guess I dont see where any of my posts about United have come across as "hate". Gate's "treatment" as you call it have been in response to some of his posts. he loves to post about Arsenal. I've responded (at times, admittedly, far too harshly... frankly i was an a--hole to him for no good reason. i dont think i've come close to that in responding to anything you've written).

However, you dont really talk that much about United. i'd be happy to discuss them when you did. Really you've just posted quick bits about potential incoming targets. How are we supposed to respond?

I'm along the same lines as peaches though. I dont rate them that highly. LvG is their best player because he may be able to reawaken some players there who clearly underperformed last season. the question really will be if United's dismal performance last season was Moyes or the players. I, like peaches, side that the many of the players just arent that good, and are diminishing value rather than waiting to be re-energized. Just my opinion. I think they will find life in the Prem alot tougher than their preseason. they will have a strong start, as the schedule favors them a bit. But I can see them bogging down.

I'm also very prepared for the other... LvG reignites the players, United quickly rise to the top of the table, settle in and maintain a top 4 position throughout the season. Honestly, much like Liverpool, United is a wild card with lots of questions to be answered.

The Di Maria thing, well, even googling it doesnt lend much to the credence of the reports. it all seems speculation, hearsay and even a bit of trolling. And while United can boast a chance at a return to glory for a player like Di Maria, think about what he is giving up.

It's not really an encouraging environment to post in Si, to be honest. I don't post much about United because there isn't a need to subject myself to those type of responses. When talking about United it's never been an actual conversation...well not never...but rarely. Y'all have a tendency to put on your hate united glasses and take it as an opportunity to have a go at a United fan. I've never done anything to either of you. We've been over this before.

Absolutely I'm being overly sensitive (I didn't think that was up for debate).

I just want to talk about the game of football and have a legitimate conversations about all of our clubs.

Di Maria and Vidal would be massive gets for the club...and I think United will get one of them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3ibkn9qc said:
I guess I don't see the difference peaches.

I can run down the Liverpool roster and reach the same conclusion about them as you have for United.

The separation between Liverpool and United in the post Suarez era is going to be smaller than you are making it.

lets make that an exerice (and really Januzaj and Sterling arent comparable at this point. Honestly i'm not sure that can be debated. While Januzaj has had some nice moments, Sterling has emerged as one of the more dynamic players in the league. Miles apart at the moment.)

the "post Suarez" era aspect seems to be the biggest hold up in assuming Liverpool's drop. But lets be honest, we've seen plenty of clubs go through this and remain successful:

United lost Ronaldo...
Arsenal have lost Fabregas, Nasri and RvP and havent blinked
City lose Tevez, Balotelli and recover just fine (not the same, but still they were a major part of that teams goal scoring success, and they recoved)
Spurs sold Bale and fell a remarkable 3 points.

the biggest concern is replacing Suarez 30 goals. People seem to think a. Liverpool need a direct replacement. b. they actually need to score 100+ goals again.

Suarez sale has led to a massive improvement in the teams defensive stability and depth. While his loss will certainly lead to a drop in goals scored (i dont think by much to be honest) the improvements to the team will lead to a decrease in concession.

Point is, this team maybe a capable back up striker away from being better than it was last year. Its certainly more balanced already.

United havent added much more than a new coach. Herrerra's a decent player, puts Fellaini out of his misery and supports Mata. Kagawa has no role left in a big game. Shaw's already injured, is 19 and is a left back. Wonderful player, but not a major impact.

United have gotten thinner in their backline, have lost leadership on the field in Carrick and Giggs. They have questions. And looking at their roster its hard to suggest that the players wont return to their form of last year. If they recover under LvG than they will make a run at the top 4. But it really needs to be seen and proven first.

Questions for both to be sure, but I still fancy a team whose made vast improvements across the formation, balanced their lineup and adding depth options but must overcome losing their top goal scorer (while keeping the 2nd top scorer in the league) and finished 2nd over a team who limped to 7th and added a new coach.

Smurf

Reaction score
Taylor Twellman is reporting the Yedlin deal has been finalized.

$4.0 Million. Remains with Sounders FC until January at the earliest.

Edit: He's heading to Spurs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":1sbnv6ls said:
Uncle Si":1sbnv6ls said:

It's not really an encouraging environment to post in Si, to be honest. I don't post much about United because there isn't a need to subject myself to those type of responses. When talking about United it's never been an actual conversation...well not never...but rarely. Y'all have a tendency to put on your hate united glasses and take it as an opportunity to have a go at a United fan. I've never done anything to either of you. We've been over this before.

Absolutely I'm being overly sensitive (I didn't think that was up for debate).

I just want to talk about the game of football and have a legitimate conversations about all of our clubs.

Di Maria and Vidal would be massive gets for the club...and I think United will get one of them.

For my part i'll deter the sarcasm, but it is just that. I dont think ive really taken too many shots at United to be honest. But i'll temper it in the future

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2mn7cyfe said:
Smurf, that's a fair say and I'm sorry. I'll try to be a little less dickish. Just a little though ;)

(do you think he'll fall for it? stupid United fans...)

Smurf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":4gxyelsd said:
Smurf":4gxyelsd said:

I can run down the Liverpool roster and reach the same conclusion about them as you have for United.

The separation between Liverpool and United in the post Suarez era is going to be smaller than you are making it.

I mean, I'm not sure about that. Liverpool's defense and midfield are both quantifiably better than United's, IMO. With Lovren and Moreno in, for sure. the midfield isn't even a question, especially when you consider playmakers like Sterling and Coutinho. NOW, we did lose Suarez, but don't forget Sturridge was the second highest goalscorer last season, too. So I'd say we're likely to be better going forward than United, too.

I'm not trying to say that Liverpool are light-years ahead of United or anything, but there's some separation there, for sure.

How many points of separation you reckon?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":g6st03xd said:
peachesenregalia":g6st03xd said:
Smurf":g6st03xd said:

I mean, I'm not sure about that. Liverpool's defense and midfield are both quantifiably better than United's, IMO. With Lovren and Moreno in, for sure. the midfield isn't even a question, especially when you consider playmakers like Sterling and Coutinho. NOW, we did lose Suarez, but don't forget Sturridge was the second highest goalscorer last season, too. So I'd say we're likely to be better going forward than United, too.

I'm not trying to say that Liverpool are light-years ahead of United or anything, but there's some separation there, for sure.

It was 20 points last season, with United in at 64. Thats a massive gap.

Lets say one improves while the other falters. Without a remarkable collapse from Liverpool i'd say they are still good for 78-82 points. Can United rise 14-18 points?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":2una98yj said:
It's insulting. Reading 7 pages of Liverpool talk, 1 page of Arsenal (and how much they suck), 4 posts about spurs, 9 about anything french, and 5 words on United.

/Rant
How dare you completely disregard my handful of posts about QPR, Smurf!

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2ajik7iz said:
Smurf":2ajik7iz said:
It's insulting. Reading 7 pages of Liverpool talk, 1 page of Arsenal (and how much they suck), 4 posts about spurs, 9 about anything french, and 5 words on United.

/Rant

My apologies...

How's Joey Barton doing?

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":246z1s1s said:
Smurf":246z1s1s said:
peachesenregalia":246z1s1s said:
Smurf":246z1s1s said:

It was 20 points last season, with United in at 64. Thats a massive gap.

Lets say one improves while the other falters. Without a remarkable collapse from Liverpool i'd say they are still good for 78-82 points. Can United rise 14-18 points?

The gap will be less than 4 points.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
that would suggest about 12-15 point rise from United with a slight drop from liverpool. I can see that actually. However, I'd suggest closer to 6-8. Thats just factoring in how difficult that type of increase in points is from one season to the next. If Liverpool improve their striker depth I can see it being more.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":365a2lyb said:
SeatownJay":365a2lyb said:
Smurf":365a2lyb said:

/Rant

My apologies...

How's Joey Barton doing?
He's actually looked decent from what I've seen this preseason. And he hasn't assaulted anyone lately, which is always a plus.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":99882kdj said:
that would suggest about 12-15 point rise from United with a slight drop from liverpool. I can see that actually. However, I'd suggest closer to 6-8. Thats just factoring in how difficult that type of increase in points is from one season to the next. If Liverpool improve their striker depth I can see it being more.

Seems fair.

I think it will be a good season.

Gonna have to start following spurs a little bit now...

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2u0tmwjx said:
Smurf":2u0tmwjx said:
SeatownJay":2u0tmwjx said:
Smurf":2u0tmwjx said:

/Rant

My apologies...

How's Joey Barton doing?
He's actually looked decent from what I've seen this preseason. And he hasn't assaulted anyone lately, which is always a plus.

I actually really like Barton as a player...couldn't tell you why.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":11q7inoa said:
Smurf":11q7inoa said:
SeatownJay":11q7inoa said:
Smurf":11q7inoa said:

/Rant

My apologies...

How's Joey Barton doing?

When are you all coming in for Glen Johnson?

anything I can do to speed that up?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":zvygrkvh said:

We don't need another defender, we need another forward. Especially if Remy gets moved.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":30kdzehm said:

Glen Johnson and Rio Ferdinand...Could you imagine...That's the start of a world cup winning back line right there. All they need is Ashley Cole.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":32fkfer8 said:
Uncle Si":32fkfer8 said:

We don't need another defender, we need another forward. Especially if Remy gets moved.

Swap you straight up

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":33395z96 said:
SeatownJay":33395z96 said:
Uncle Si":33395z96 said:

Swap you straight up
Last rumor I heard was Remy to Spurs with Townsend and/or Kane coming back to QPR.