2013 Summer Soccer Transfer Talk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2a4k951x said:
Blueboy":2a4k951x said:
Begovic is good and i'm surprised Arsenal aren't sniffing around him.

From what I've heard Arsenal are more interested in Sunderland keeper Simon Mignolet.

I think both clubs would do well with either...

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Liverpool now has reportedly agreed with Spanish side Celta Vigo for striker Iago Ispas for 9 million euros.

Admittedly know less than nothing about him, but I am happy than Brendan is happy most likely.

Edit - Spanish Bellamy? Love it. Hide the clubs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
quite an interesting day for rumour mongering my favorite club...

according to the Real press..

Real have offered (and been turned down) 40 million for Suarez (and 60 million for Bale)
Liverpool have agreed terms with Papa, Aspas (yesterday) and now Luis Alberto

nothing confirmed until June 1, but the speculation is truly delicious... only European football can rival the NFL in terms of keeping their fans on the edge during the off season.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3h7dksrp said:
quite an interesting day for rumour mongering my favorite club...

according to the Real press..

Real have offered (and been turned down) 40 million for Suarez (and 60 million for Bale)
Liverpool have agreed terms with Papa, Aspas (yesterday) and now Luis Alberto

nothing confirmed until June 1, but the speculation is truly delicious... only European football can rival the NFL in terms of keeping their fans on the edge during the off season.

One of the major reasons why I am a convert from the NFL to the EPL. 6 week offseason with transfer talk the whole time.

Liverpool is in a quite fantastic state of transition right now. I don't know exactly the direction we are heading, but I am glued to all media outlets.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":rl35hxlf said:
Aspas would be a really good signing. He's fast and can score goals. Coutinho should be able to move to CAM in behind Suarez and Sturridge.

I'd like to see Ericksen come in and keep Coutinho out wider. While he thrived at the role near the end of the season, i worry if its the best place for him over the course of a long PL campaign.

It looks like Aspas will be announced when the window opens, atleast gives us cover for the loss of Carroll. Plus hes an alternative to Downing

Blueboy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3599m9bd said:
peachesenregalia":3599m9bd said:
Aspas would be a really good signing. He's fast and can score goals. Coutinho should be able to move to CAM in behind Suarez and Sturridge.

I'd like to see Ericksen come in and keep Coutinho out wider. While he thrived at the role near the end of the season, i worry if its the best place for him over the course of a long PL campaign.

It looks like Aspas will be announced when the window opens, atleast gives us cover for the loss of Carroll. Plus hes an alternative to Downing

Would that be the Ericksen currently in the Dutch league? if so I think I read he's heading to Bayern Munich.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blueboy":3drmq2f4 said:
Uncle Si":3drmq2f4 said:

Would that be the Ericksen currently in the Dutch league? if so I think I read he's heading to Bayern Munich.

yes thats him, but he wont be going to Bayern, they just signed Goetze. He may go to Dortmund as Goetze's replacement. His preference was Real, but they havent shown interest. He's had lots of communication with Liverpool since he was 17.

Blueboy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":qw5758px said:
Blueboy":qw5758px said:
Uncle Si":qw5758px said:

yes thats him, but he wont be going to Bayern, they just signed Goetze. He may go to Dortmund as Goetze's replacement. His preference was Real, but they havent shown interest. He's had lots of communication with Liverpool since he was 17.

Cool, might've been Dortmund then, good player though.

GCrow

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3exuw0q9 said:
Marca are saying Suarez to Real Madrid for around £46 million

*Clears throat* That..... bites! *Shows Self Out*

GCrow

Reaction score
Well... this could get messy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... -liverpool

Luis Suárez has confirmed he wants to leave Liverpool in the latest interview to express his disillusionment with life in England.

The Liverpool striker has given three interviews in the past two days to encourage interest from Real Madrid, the first to reveal he would find it hard to say no to the Spanish club, the second suggesting now is the time for a "change of environment" and the third finally confirming his intention to leave Anfield.

Liverpool have responded to Suárez's latest announcement, though they have been unable to rein in the 26-year-old while on international duty in his native Uruguay.

A club spokesperson said: "Luis Suárez is not for sale. Neither Luis or his representatives have communicated these feelings directly to Liverpool football club. The club remains supportive of Luis and expect him to honour his contract. We will not be making any further comment at this stage."

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Liverpool should quite rightly make a mint out of this. If we doesn't want to stay then their hand is forced. Otherwise his form would probably dip next year. If he doesn't have a release clause in his contract then hold out for top dollar. As long as they don't spunk it away like they did with the Torres money on Carroll, Adam etc and spend it wisely.

Smurf

Reaction score
Losing Suarez is one of the reasons Liverpool are struggling to stay a top club. He's the type of player they need to get, retain, and protect. That's what the other big clubs do, and we have all seen what happens when you don't (arsenal).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3u5km1s2 said:
Losing Suarez is one of the reasons Liverpool are struggling to stay a top club. He's the type of player they need to get, retain, and protect. That's what the other big clubs do, and we have all seen what happens when you don't (arsenal).

yeah, it absolutely crushed United when they sold Ronaldo

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Smurf":22muyw6q said:

Well, while it is true, Arsenal has managed to stay somewhat consistant, whereas Liverpool have dropped from among Europe's elite to midtable club that's arguable not the best in Merseyside at the moment. I think the case is Liverpool does have potential to get back into the Top 4, but they take too many risks(see Andy Carroll) and it backfires. I do hate the fact that Arsenal have maintained this level of competitiveness, but I'd rather us make Top 4 year in and year out than drop to midtable and take major risks on one single signing. Probably the one thing Arsenal did best last summer, was that while they did sell our best player(and essentially the league title) they went and signed 3 good quality players(I said good, not great, Cazorla's probably the only one that can be considered great quality) that made up the lost goals, and then some. Liverpool, on the other hand, threw all their hopes in Suarez and then they ended up short handed in attack(Sturridge somewhat fixed it in the later part of the season).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2ke3hvxf said:
Smurf":2ke3hvxf said:

Well, while it is true, Arsenal has managed to stay somewhat consistant, whereas Liverpool have dropped from among Europe's elite to midtable club that's arguable not the best in Merseyside at the moment. I think the case is Liverpool does have potential to get back into the Top 4, but they take too many risks(see Andy Carroll) and it backfires. I do hate the fact that Arsenal have maintained this level of competitiveness, but I'd rather us make Top 4 year in and year out than drop to midtable and take major risks on one single signing. Probably the one thing Arsenal did best last summer, was that while they did sell our best player(and essentially the league title) they went and signed 3 good quality players(I said good, not great, Cazorla's probably the only one that can be considered great quality) that made up the lost goals, and then some. Liverpool, on the other hand, threw all their hopes in Suarez and then they ended up short handed in attack(Sturridge somewhat fixed it in the later part of the season).

Arsenal will always be comfortable thinking top 4 is a trophy. i struggle to see how any fan is fine with that. they tread water (replacing a dynamic player like RVP with two 29 year old above average ones) and almost refuse to take the necessary steps to try and win a major trophy. its your club, but that mentality seems to have leaked into every arsenal fan i know.

as for Liverpool, your assessment of a mediocre two year run is far off. Andy Carroll was a mistake, but despite the price tag not a major one. The issue with Liverpool has been instability on the touch line. they didnt "throw their hopes into Suarez", but I dont feel like reliving the summer transfer saga with you again. either way they more than made up with it with Sturridge and Coutinho

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12fuekxf said:
Arsenal will always be comfortable thinking top 4 is a trophy. i struggle to see how any fan is fine with that. they tread water (replacing a dynamic player like RVP with two 29 year old above average ones) and almost refuse to take the necessary steps to try and win a major trophy. its your club, but that mentality seems to have leaked into every arsenal fan i know.

I've said this countless times already, myself and other Gooners are not and never will be fine with finishing with only Top 4, the players know that and Wenger knows it(he will never admit it though). And do I need to repeat myself? I said I'd rather be Top 4 every year than struggling over the season and finishing midtable.

I've said it before, sometimes a single signing isn't enough. Arsenal lost 37 goals by selling RvP. The 3 guys they signed, Giroud, Cazorla, and Podolski, scored a combined 45 goals they got a good return from, as you put it, two 29 year old above average ones and another one.

What happened after the Newcastle match has literally fooled everyone into thinking Arsenal and it's fans are actually treating Top 4 like a trophy, we sure as hell are not content with Top 4 only. Does this sound like the celebrations of people content with Top 4:
[youtube]La_S1kURKEw[/youtube]
[youtube]t2-chXxGVK0[/youtube]
[youtube]pISaOgWqcOc[/youtube]
I'm not sure about you but that sounds like fans who are overjoyed at finishing above Spurs and not at finishing 4th. Hell one person actually said that they aren't happy with being competitive for only 4th place.

I've also said this multiple times, that you'd celebrate finishing Top 4 with the season Arsenal had, counted out of Top 4 after selling RvP, counted out of Top 4 heading into March, and then on the final day not only did they clinch 4th place, they did it at the expense of their closest rivals. People are fooled into thinking that Arsenal were celebrating Top 4, which they weren't. Stop assuming Arsenal are content with Top 4 because there is no team that actually thinks that way.

And have you not seen the comments from some of the Arsenal players? They want to push to a trophy next season and barring unforeseen circumstances they certainly can. Just stop spewing the same crap about me actually wanting Top 4 only, because you don't even know what your talking about then.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2c1nw9va said:
Smurf":2c1nw9va said:

And I still firmly believe he never should have left....and I think he realizes that. Madrid is not everything he thought it would be.

That being said...when you have Fergie and Ryan Giggs you can negate the loss of a Ronaldo. :p

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Smurf":1guiugy0 said:
Uncle Si":1guiugy0 said:
Smurf":1guiugy0 said:

And I still firmly believe he never should have left....and I think he realizes that. Madrid is not everything he thought it would be.

But it worked out so well for Luka Modric...

As for Ronaldo: he'll be at Chelsea before you know it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gate, you just said in your first post you were fine with it... youd rather finish top 4 than take a risk and drop to midtable. youve been talking out both sides of your arse in this thread a few times, and when i call you on it you try and say "but I meant this"

if you mean something just say it... but like Arsenal itself, you are simply accepting of one reality while pretending to strive for another.