Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Willian hasn't been confirmed yet, but:

BSL8ej1CMAA4tes.jpg:large

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":lvp5z10t said:
As far as I can tell, Willian hasn't been confirmed yet, but:

BSL8ej1CMAA4tes.jpg:large

are you sure thats Willian and not Dempsey.... or Sigurrdson?

(and yes I wanted Willian... not broken up by it, but he would have been very helpful)

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I think Liverpool would have signed Dempsey had they offered more than chump change, though. And as for Willian, £30mil is a bit of a gamble, as you said earlier. (However, IF we can sign Lamela, a front 3 of Willian, Soldado and Lamela, with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho behind, presumably with Holtby, Sigurddson, Capoue, Lennon, Chadli, Defoe as rotation -sounds pretty exciting )

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1xmgi24a said:
I think Liverpool would have signed Dempsey had they offered more than chump change, though. And as for Willian, £30mil is a bit of a gamble, as you said earlier. (However, IF we can sign Lamela, a front 3 of Willian, Soldado and Lamela, with Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho behind, presumably with Holtby, Sigurddson, Capoue, Lennon, Chadli, Defoe as rotation -sounds pretty exciting )

I think we offered the right amount for Dempsey and don't blame management for not going 35 million + nearly 5 million in wages for Willian. We aren't there.

It is an exciting time for Spurs for sure

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3tcc91fm said:
Hawkspur":3tcc91fm said:

I think we offered the right amount for Dempsey and don't blame management for not going 35 million + nearly 5 million in wages for Willian. We aren't there.

Out of interest, do you have any idea what the Sounders paid for Dempsey?

Where have you seen £35 mil? I've seen as high as £30mil quoted, although the deal hasn't been officially announced yet so it's probably all speculation, anyway. Paying this much surely means Bale is off, which would be a pity, but it seems as though he wants to experience the Bernabeu and all that, and the club will get good compensation.

It could be our version of Torres - Carroll, I guess. I hope not. It would be gutting to see Bale go and get little in return. This is the 3rd season in a row in which AVB has tried to buy Willian, so I guess he has plans for him.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Sounds like Villa were the victims of some away decisions and that Fenerbache were rubbish and Arsenal killed them even without the help of the ref. Nevermind.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I was able to catch most of the Arsenal game and it was just way too easy for them. Fenerbahche looked horrible, barely had any possession of the ball and were simply outplayed in every sense of the word.

I was also able to catch last 15 minutes of Chelsea game. It was a very entertaining finish to the match, I thought Villa played pretty well except for Westwood. Benteke looked good, I can see him scoring 20+ goals this season. I thought Chelsea played an entertaining football, really enjoyed watching Hazard. Lukaku has all potential in the world to be a great striker as long as he gets playing time.I absolutely love strikers of his type who can hold the ball up in the attack while under pressure. His strength is definitely his #1 asset in my opinion, although he does posses a good technique and shooting ability. I am very much excited to see the game on Monday vs United.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2cd8aoon said:
Uncle Si":2cd8aoon said:
Hawkspur":2cd8aoon said:

Out of interest, do you have any idea what the Sounders paid for Dempsey?

Where have you seen £35 mil? I've seen as high as £30mil quoted, although the deal hasn't been officially announced yet so it's probably all speculation, anyway. Paying this much surely means Bale is off, which would be a pity, but it seems as though he wants to experience the Bernabeu and all that, and the club will get good compensation.

It could be our version of Torres - Carroll, I guess. I hope not. It would be gutting to see Bale go and get little in return. This is the 3rd season in a row in which AVB has tried to buy Willian, so I guess he has plans for him.

I think the MLS covered the 7 million for Dempsey.

The fee for William as I heard it was 30 plus a 5 mill add on for agent fees (apparently why Liverpool backed out)

Lamela would be a great buy. To me though Willian was a bit overpriced. Still considering Bale may be off its worth the risk

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":55s7xc19 said:
I think the MLS covered the 7 million for Dempsey.

The fee for William as I heard it was 30 plus a 5 mill add on for agent fees (apparently why Liverpool backed out)

Lamela would be a great buy. To me though Willian was a bit overpriced. Still considering Bale may be off its worth the risk

Interesting. I'd heard someone, who knew a bloke, whose dog's cousin (or something like that) met Tim Sherwood, who reckoned that Willian's agent was pushing for Liverpool but Willian himself preferred Spurs. Maybe Spurs managed to 'convince' the agent to swithch allegiance.

Sounds like Dempsey was a one year rental. 7m is more than I thought we'd get for him, although I thin it makes a lot of sense for the MLS to get him into the league.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Guillem Balague reckons that Madrid are giving us 93m Euros and Coentrao for Bale. If Bale's going to leave, thn this deal will do just fine, thanks. He also says that Ronaldo is staying. Ronaldo and Bale on the same team? Frightening.

Smurf

Reaction score
Fee for Dempsey was 9 million US, payed by MLS.

His contract is 34-36 million (US) over 4 years.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":1opjfkkn said:
Sounds like Villa were the victims of some away decisions and that Fenerbache were rubbish and Arsenal killed them even without the help of the ref. Nevermind.

I know you're not implying Arsenal had help from the ref to win. The penalty decision was from a clumsy collision. The first goal Fenerbahce should've cut that out but the only guy that could've done that probably would've knocked it in. And then there's Aaron Ramsey, I don't even know what to say, he just keeps proving his capabilities and he was well worth his goal and deserves MOTM. Also gotta give props to the small contingent of Arsenal fans who showed up to the stadium for this match.
Tumblr mrwjjnJ5tt1qfj1xoo1 500

Fenerbahce on the other hand, after all that talk of being a dangerous opponent for Arsenal, they just fell flat on their face. I was surprised that, with how Arsenal controlled the 1st half, the score was 0-0 at halftime. Fenerbahce just couldn't get anything right, their passing was erratic and they just couldn't get into attack. Bringing on Emenike brought them somewhat back into the match, but the 3 at the back left them vulnerable and Arsenal exploited it to get their 2nd and 3rd goals.

It is a great response after that joke of a match to start the EPL season, I hope this boosts the morale for the squad and now that Arsenal are in prime position to qualify for the Group Stage(3 away goals makes it almost a foregone conclusion) hopefully that will easy the pressure on Wenger and the club can get some signings completed before September 2nd.

On a somewhat down note, Koscielny apparently suffered a really deep cut on the forehead after receiving that kick to the face in the first half, Wenger stated that Kos was taken to the hospital for examination to tell how serious it really is.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwilightError":c4aff01o said:
MANUNITED23":c4aff01o said:
I sincerely hope Villa will upset Chelsea today.

I'm sincerely happy your hopes were shattered. :D

so the debate begins... whats more annoying.. Arsenal fans and their persisent battle with themselves for credibility or Chelsea fans and their persistent apathetic ignoring of the fact they are the worlds most hated club

let the debate begin!

(thought Villa had that one yesterday to be honest... Mourinho's Chelsea is a far different group than AVB or Rafa's for sure)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":416i9m83 said:
Fee for Dempsey was 9 million US, payed by MLS.

His contract is 34-36 million (US) over 4 years.

Why would a league pay for one player to transfer into one of its teams? seems shady (cue Timber fans...)

Just kidding... and what is that in Euros and pounds? like 4 million? Thats about what Liverpool wanted to pay for Dempsey initially.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Works out at a shade under £ 6m. Good deal for Spurs, and for Seattle, based on his profile.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":16w0zypf said:
Works out at a shade under £ 6m. Good deal for Spurs, and for Seattle, based on his profile.

I dont think its a good idea for a league that will find itself under more and more competition with the PL in the very near future to be dumping 9 million into player transfers. I get why they did it on this occassion (you HAVE to take advantage of the USMNT captain being available), but I'd be leary if the league ponies up more dough for another club to purchase another high profile player on the back end of his career.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":dzrfgqmh said:
TwilightError":dzrfgqmh said:
MANUNITED23":dzrfgqmh said:
I sincerely hope Villa will upset Chelsea today.

I'm sincerely happy your hopes were shattered. :D

so the debate begins... whats more annoying.. Arsenal fans and their persisent battle with themselves for credibility or Chelsea fans and their persistent apathetic ignoring of the fact they are the worlds most hated club

let the debate begin!

(thought Villa had that one yesterday to be honest... Mourinho's Chelsea is a far different group than AVB or Rafa's for sure)

Si, you're mistaken, Man U is the World's Most Hated Club, Chelsea's close behind though.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Arsenal appear set to begin a 12 day spending spree(I'll believe it when I see it) with the completion of a free transfer for Mathieu Flamini. The Gunners are also reportedly interested in Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria, and Real Madrid is apparently interested in Suarez again and might consider selling Benzema to fund the move.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3bnckn72 said:
Arsenal appear set to begin a 12 day spending spree(I'll believe it when I see it) with the completion of a free transfer for Mathieu Flamini. The Gunners are also reportedly interested in Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria, and Real Madrid is apparently interested in Suarez again and might consider selling Benzema to fund the move.

sure they are... Only wenger can start a "spending spree" with a free transfer.

bet hes a got a bridge in the desert to sell you too

have to do something though dont they? i dont think even the most optimistic Arsenal fan believe they are secured top 4 with the current squad