2 Things About the Pats that make me feel confident

Gronkzilla

Reaction score
Foghawk":vixyjkt8 said:
I've read a lot of good stuff in this thread regarding the physical aspect of this game. I'm curious if anyone has any solid comments on the speed of the Patriots front 7 since I have not really watched much of them this year. One of the keys in trying to contain RW IMO is speed in the front 7.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

I can help here as I have watched ALL of the Pats games! haha

As far as the defensive line goes, Chandler Jones is by far the most athletic and quick defensive end/linebacker hybrid. He is kinda like a young Rich Seymour I guess. The rest of the DL is not quite as fast yet they are still impact players in Vince Wilfork who absolutely eats up inside runs and Rob Ninkovich who is more of an everyman. Ninko scares me when he drops back in coverage but he can get after the passer with a relentless motor. Ninko is not that quick tho to be honest.

The linebackers will be the key for the Patriots against Russel Wilson. Hightower and Collins have been playing at an elite level all year long and are one of the best linebacker duos this year. Up there with KJ and Wagner. Collins is an athletic freak who I'm going to guess is going to be tracking Wilson most of the night while Hightower is the signal caller and moves well enough on his own.

But if you were looking strictly for who is the most athletic and speedy of the front 7? Jamie Collins, Dontae Hightower and Chandler Jones.

Largent80

Reaction score
We all know Browner, and we all know he can be beat deep. So to pull out some longer passes to his side is a matchup I like.

Also, their last game was an easy romp vs. a crappy defense, hardly a "toughener" for what the Hawks bring.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Gronkzilla":2kesh467 said:
Foghawk":2kesh467 said:
I've read a lot of good stuff in this thread regarding the physical aspect of this game. I'm curious if anyone has any solid comments on the speed of the Patriots front 7 since I have not really watched much of them this year. One of the keys in trying to contain RW IMO is speed in the front 7.

I can help here as I have watched ALL of the Pats games! haha

As far as the defensive line goes, Chandler Jones is by far the most athletic and quick defensive end/linebacker hybrid. He is kinda like a young Rich Seymour I guess. The rest of the DL is not quite as fast yet they are still impact players in Vince Wilfork who absolutely eats up inside runs and Rob Ninkovich who is more of an everyman. Ninko scares me when he drops back in coverage but he can get after the passer with a relentless motor. Ninko is not that quick tho to be honest.

The linebackers will be the key for the Patriots against Russel Wilson. Hightower and Collins have been playing at an elite level all year long and are one of the best linebacker duos this year. Up there with KJ and Wagner. Collins is an athletic freak who I'm going to guess is going to be tracking Wilson most of the night while Hightower is the signal caller and moves well enough on his own.

But if you were looking strictly for who is the most athletic and speedy of the front 7? Jamie Collins, Dontae Hightower and Chandler Jones.

Another spy option on the RO formation that AZ used at times was to bring a safety in tight as the spy behind the OLB, it actually fooled RW a couple times. I wouldn't be surprised if BB were to throw that into the mix as long as he felt it worked with the rest of his defensive personnel.

Gronkzilla

Reaction score
Largent80":1qx32bg2 said:
We all know Browner, and we all know he can be beat deep. So to pull out some longer passes to his side is a matchup I like.

Also, their last game was an easy romp vs. a crappy defense, hardly a "toughener" for what the Hawks bring.

Colts are awful. The AFC Championship happened in the Divisional round against Baltimore. The game where New England came back not once... but twice from 14 point deficits. The Pats have heart and won't roll over like Manning and Co.

If the Colts were good for anything, they helped make sure the Pats offense is clicking rolling into the SB.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1nr416ax said:

Unless Browner has changed I would run some quick breaking routes on him followed by a double move if he starts to tighten up his coverage. I wonder if gets a majority of the deep safety help in their coverage.

Reaction score
I think another thing that is in our favor is that I'm not sure Brady will have the patience to dink and dunk himself all the way down the field like Rivers and Romo earlier in the year. I feel like when we last played them in 2012 he made a few throws into coverage, trying to force the ball down the field.

I could be totally wrong though about his patience.

Another thing is that I like our run D nine times out of 10 against anybody. If NE and Blount can run on us, kudos to them, but until they can prove they can, at will during the game, I'll chalk that up as a match-up favoring us.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Foghawk":n62zmj3b said:

I have watched some Pats games, they have plenty of physicality. On defense. On offense they have a few players who are damn tough, but overall if the run game isn't going well they abandon it for a short pass game that while plenty effective, isn't going to be real physical.

But your point is the one I like most. Their front 7 has some slowish linebackers. Team speed of our O vs their D is the biggest mismatch, Willson has a huge advantage, as does Lynch, if in a pass situation covered by a linebacker. Wilson scrambling or keeping a RO will be quite a test for them. In fact, our D also has quite a team speed advantage. I watched Edelman make Landry look like he had cement shoes, all I could thing was what a rude surprise Thomas will be for that guy.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Gronkzilla":1wpl5ef8 said:
theincrediblesok":1wpl5ef8 said:
I'm hoping the Patriots look past our team. I can see them being over confident after beating Luck and the Colts.

Hi Everyone! Not here to troll, just thought talking to some diehard Hawks fans would be equally as fun as posting on the Pats boards. Just wanted to address the above quote, there is just no chance that the Patriots look past the Seahawks. It is completely against what Belichick preaches as well as I don't know how it's even possible to look past the Super Bowl opponent being as there is no game after the Super Bowl lol.

I think the read option is a valid point for attacking the Patriots defense although as a Patriots fan it doesn't overly worry me. This is primarily because Belichick is known to preach gap control, edge containment and doing your job and not more than your job. So while I envision the hawks to have some success with it (I mean, how can you contain Lynch and Wilson for 60 minutes? Not gonna happen... they are too good.) I don't see it being a kryptonite to our defense. As good as the Seahawks are, we have some bad mofos as well in our front 7.

The physical aspect of the game is obviously a factor. In the past, teams that rushed and achieved pressure with a 4 man rush while the secondary was physical against Pats receivers had success. To me, this is huge and I am really hoping the Patriots meet the physical challenge head on. Answer physicality with physicality much like what the gifs earlier in this topic show.

Either way, I cannot wait for this game and hope it is one for the ages!

Welcome to the board. Take off your coat, stay a while. We have frothy beverages and plenty of entertainment available.

Yeah, I can't see the Patriots looking past us at all. Totally against what Belichick coaches. Ain't gonna happen. The only thing I can see is a bit of unpreparedness simply due to the fact that they haven't played teams quite as physical as ours in a long, long time. It's one thing to say "be prepared for a bludgeon-fest" until you're blue in the face, and another to actually experience it. We've seen similar things happen in regards to the crowd noise here at Century Link. Not saying they'll be under-prepared, just that it may take a bit to adjust to the actual impact felt in-game. I cannot fathom a Seahawks team that comes out less fired up and intense as they did in last year's Super Bowl, and that is an awful lot to handle, even for a prepared team.

In any case, it just has a feel to me like it's going to be the game of the century, one for the ages. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the first overtime in Super Bowl history. The Patriots are a great team and a worthy opponent. I think the Seahawks will squeak out a close, hard-fought victory, but it ain't going to be easy if that's indeed what does happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gronkzilla":18f9e01r said:
If the Colts were good for anything, they helped make sure the Pats offense is clicking rolling into the SB.

I really did think the Colts would put up a bigger fight, Denver fans must be puking in their Cheerios after watching that.

I think our D matches up well against the Pats offense, IF we can get Sherm and Thomas to at least 80% health and keep them that way for 60 minutes.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1dmhn5fy said:
Foghawk":1dmhn5fy said:

I have watched some Pats games, they have plenty of physicality. On defense. On offense they have a few players who are damn tough, but overall if the run game isn't going well they abandon it for a short pass game that while plenty effective, isn't going to be real physical.

But your point is the one I like most. Their front 7 has some slowish linebackers. Team speed of our O vs their D is the biggest mismatch, Willson has a huge advantage, as does Lynch, if in a pass situation covered by a linebacker. Wilson scrambling or keeping a RO will be quite a test for them. In fact, our D also has quite a team speed advantage. I watched Edelman make Landry look like he had cement shoes, all I could thing was what a rude surprise Thomas will be for that guy.

I'm really feeling like this is going to be a big rushing game for Lynch and Wilson. I was curious how Lacey did against the Pats since I kind of see him as a poor mans Lynch 21att / 98 yds / 4.7 avg. I noticed Rodgers had 22 yds on 5 runs while I was looking at the stats as well.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Foghawk":25ougcu2 said:
Scottemojo":25ougcu2 said:
Foghawk":25ougcu2 said:

I'm really feeling like this is going to be a big rushing game for Lynch and Wilson. I was curious how Lacey did against the Pats since I kind of see him as a poor mans Lynch 21att / 98 yds / 4.7 avg. I noticed Rodgers had 22 yds on 5 runs while I was looking at the stats as well.
True, but the Pats are far more likely to man cover our less than respected WR's and put that 8th guy to stop Lynch. Doesn't mean it will work, it's just kind of what I see happening.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
IMHO I think a very important thing for our team is to tackle and minimize YAC. This will be very important for Gronk. He will be coming across our middle a lot since this is our weakest spot typically. I also feel they will try to run on us as well. A Bill B team will be more disciplined and patient than most. A very crafty coach. I could see them jumping out to a early lead. Our team really studies game film for tendencies but Bill B. loves to change things up so we will need time to adjust. But one thing we are also great at is adjusting and wearing down the other team. This will be a classic battle. This game has me more worried than last years Super Owl since the Pats offense has less identity and more chameleon. Also no more bad games from Russell will help as well. I could see him bouncing back with a vengeance after that game. I just hope he gets SOME sleep before the big game:)

seedhawk

Reaction score
My thought is, the Pats just are not used to our overall team speed. Yep, we might be a bit lite on the D-line, but we get into and thru gaps before the blocker has a chance. So far in the playoffs, we have seen no middle push/rush simply because the refs have let the big boys play. Not a single holding call I can remember, even on us!

Like the Ponies last year, if/when the Pats go to their short game, we play to keep the ball in front of us and then bring the hurt, but we bring the hurt 1 or 2 steps sooner than most every other team.

Should be a great game in the 20-17 or 24-20 range. I would be willing to place money on the fact that the last team to score wins. Coin flips rule!

kearly

Reaction score
As Scotte mentions, you can expect a lot of man coverage in this game. Man coverage plus slow linebackers presents Wilson with an opportunity for a huge game running the football. This needs to be a key part of Seattle's game plan offensively. Wouldn't be shocked at all if Wilson finishes the game with 150 yards passing and 100 yards rushing.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3rfonhch said:
As Scotte mentions, you can expect a lot of man coverage in this game. Man coverage plus slow linebackers presents Wilson with an opportunity for a huge game running the football. This needs to be a key part of Seattle's game plan offensively. Wouldn't be shocked at all if Wilson finishes the game with 150 yards passing and 100 yards rushing.

When you say that, I envision the Washington DC team's game scenario this year where Russell ran roughshod all over them in DC. Are you saying their as vulnerable as Washington was?

bigDhawk

Reaction score
I remember watching Ravens/Pats in the division round and thinking, wow these two teams are really, reeeeeeeally slooooooooooooow. Being so used to watching the team speed of the Seahawks it was briefly jarring to watch two other teams play postseason football in such a low gear. As long as Earl and Sherm are 80% or more I have no concerns about our ability to compete at a championship level in this game. None.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Gronkzilla":3h0r3gdj said:
theincrediblesok":3h0r3gdj said:
I'm hoping the Patriots look past our team. I can see them being over confident after beating Luck and the Colts.

Hi Everyone! Not here to troll, just thought talking to some diehard Hawks fans would be equally as fun as posting on the Pats boards. Just wanted to address the above quote, there is just no chance that the Patriots look past the Seahawks. It is completely against what Belichick preaches as well as I don't know how it's even possible to look past the Super Bowl opponent being as there is no game after the Super Bowl lol.

I think the read option is a valid point for attacking the Patriots defense although as a Patriots fan it doesn't overly worry me. This is primarily because Belichick is known to preach gap control, edge containment and doing your job and not more than your job. So while I envision the hawks to have some success with it (I mean, how can you contain Lynch and Wilson for 60 minutes? Not gonna happen... they are too good.) I don't see it being a kryptonite to our defense. As good as the Seahawks are, we have some bad mofos as well in our front 7.

The physical aspect of the game is obviously a factor. In the past, teams that rushed and achieved pressure with a 4 man rush while the secondary was physical against Pats receivers had success. To me, this is huge and I am really hoping the Patriots meet the physical challenge head on. Answer physicality with physicality much like what the gifs earlier in this topic show.

Great post Gronkzilla. Other than the read option. As a Pats fan, what about the Seahawks concerns you the most? Where do you feel the Patriots are weak and don't match up well to the Seahawks strength?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RockHawk":1crjmc09 said:
kearly":1crjmc09 said:

When you say that, I envision the Washington DC team's game scenario this year where Russell ran roughshod all over them in DC. Are you saying their as vulnerable as Washington was?
No, they have a good secondary as opposed to DC, who has shite. But could Russ loosen the hell out of that secondary with a few scrambles and runs? For sure. Green Bay passed at will on those linebackers.

Another little tip. THe first 20 or so plays that Bill runs will say how he thinks he needs to win on offense. Not that he can't adjust, Bill can adjust after a drive like some teams adjust at the half, but if he thinks he can't run on us, he won't try. Vs Detroit, who has a great run D, something like 20 of the first 25 plays were passes. So, if after 20 plays they are biased one way or the other, you will know what the plan for the game probably is.

If they struggle, they always default to a short rhythm pass attack. They might go to 5 different targets in 5 plays, all run substitutes. They will use that short pass game just like we use play action, there may be something bigger in store if the D starts to crowd the short stuff.

Gronkzilla

Reaction score
hawkfan68":25whqgje said:
Great post Gronkzilla. Other than the read option. As a Pats fan, what about the Seahawks concerns you the most? Where do you feel the Patriots are weak and don't match up well to the Seahawks strength?
To be honest I have a lot of faith in the Pats defense being able to contain the Hawks offense. Belichick loves to take away the strength of a team so I would imagine that would be the running game.

That being said, my concerns as with any other sane person lies with the defensive safeties and how they will impact the operation between the hashes. The Pats are solid all around but the weak spot is the offensive line. So protecting Brady against the 4-5 man rush and navigating the safeties is my answer.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Gronkzilla":l50vqwb5 said:
theincrediblesok":l50vqwb5 said:

Welcome to the board! Great post! We relish intelligent football conversation around here. Way to represent. I've posted over at PatsFans before and absolutely loved a lot of the posters I interacted with there -- great bunch of classy, intelligent, knowledgeable, and passionate fans for the most part.

I'm really looking forward to this matchup -- I truly am. Bill Belichick and and Pete Carroll are in some ways mirror images of one another. Both of these guys are amazing in their ability to analyze a team's strengths (and game plan to take that away) ... and to identify the weaknesses of their opponent and hit them where they're softest. Both are great chess masters who are great in being able to make moves and counter moves during games -- to adjust to what their opponent is doing and to countermand it. Should be fun in so many ways.

Regarding the Zone Read, I think it's going to give the Patriots a little more trouble than you may think. I know that Belichick is going to have his guys try to stay home and keep Russell Wilson contained using his DE's rather than rushing up the field on every single down. You're right -- edge containment is a real key because once Wilson breaks contain and gets outside the pocket, he is extremely dangerous. I say that the Zone Read is going to give the Patriots some issues – simply because they don’t see it a lot. Sure, I know that Belichick can always consult with Nick Saban, Chip Kelly, etc. and view tape – but the fact is that the Patriots players don’t see it, play against it, or practice against it much. As I’m sure you know, part of what makes it so hard to defend against is that it’s so darned unpredictable. Even guys in that Seahawks huddle have admitted that when they’re running the ZR and getting ready to snap the ball, they have absolutely NO IDEA whether or not it’s going to end up being a run or a pass – that’s totally up to Russell Wilson and is a split second decision. And the Hawks have had great success with it – even with Wilson running through an open A Gap. So, there’s that.

I’m personally very curious to see which way Belichick decides to play this because the Cardinals decided to do that with Wilson in Week 16. That was their strategy last game – protect the edges – don’t let him get outside -- keep him in the pocket and make him beat them that way. Well … 35 points and 596 yards of total offense allowed later, they were thinking to themselves that wasn’t the best idea either.

Despite what the rest of the nation saw this past Sunday, Russell Wilson is definitely among the elite QB’s in this league and I am very curious to see how Belichick and the Patriots staff decide to defend against/attack him. Any thoughts/insight regarding that?

Also, I was curious to get your thoughts regarding the Patriots secondary. Curiously enough, the stats show that during the regular season New England’s secondary allowed 62 passes of 20 yards or more to be completed against them. That was tied for the 3rd most allowed in the league. I went back through the game logs with a fine tooth comb (game by game) and it looks to me like that’s been something that’s been a bit of a soft spot for the Patriots all season long. Any comments/insights on those numbers?

Latest posts