2 mill cap saving to cut Jon Ryan

AgentDib

Reaction score
Like any other decision it depends on the alternative. There's no rush to cut him, but I'll bet we add to the competition at both P and K either via the draft or more likely UDFA. Then we see how things play out in Training Camp and the coaching staff can decide if Ryan is worth the price difference over alternative. Who's to say that a punter we brought in couldn't win the job straight up?

mikeak

Reaction score
original poster":1gzdig23 said:
IIRC his longest punt last season was 74 yards, with his record being 77.

Which is my point. He tied for second longest in the NFL last season. Longest was 77 yards

adeltaY

Reaction score
mikeak":3fmpjtbv said:
original poster":3fmpjtbv said:

Which is my point. He tied for second longest in the NFL last season. Longest was 77 yards

Raw length doesn't matter that much without good hang time. We ranked #30 in net punt average. Definitely some of that is on the coverage, but plenty of blame falls on Ryan.

mikeak

Reaction score
adeltaY":2kd7g4lq said:
mikeak":2kd7g4lq said:
original poster":2kd7g4lq said:

Raw length doesn't matter that much without good hang time. We ranked #30 in net punt average. Definitely some of that is on the coverage, but plenty of blame falls on Ryan.

1) I will continue to believe that Ryan is told to keep the punts shorter

2) he had the 17th average length despite being tied for second longest punt if he year which to me prove point 1

3) yes hang time matters agree 100%. Cannot find statistics comparing this though.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He was horrible last season...
Whether that was for say an injury reason or he is just old..
I think it's time to move on..I like the guy but age and money are factors..

original poster

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone 'pulls a Tampa Bay' in this draft for punter Michael Dickson? He could go as high as the third round.

TwilightError

Reaction score
No way! We will be punting a lot next season and we need experience..

semiahmoo

Reaction score
adeltaY":3drqdnjr said:
mikeak":3drqdnjr said:
original poster":3drqdnjr said:

Raw length doesn't matter that much without good hang time..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JGreen79

Reaction score
adeltaY":3iehcx6y said:
mikeak":3iehcx6y said:
original poster":3iehcx6y said:

The 77 yard punt resulted in a touchback. In the same game he had a 69 yard punt (also a touchback) but was negated for a roughing the kicker penalty.

He was also part of the team that nearly set the record for punt return yards allowed.

12forlife

Reaction score
original poster":mnye00zf said:
I wonder if anyone 'pulls a Tampa Bay' in this draft for punter Michael Dickson? He could go as high as the third round.

I don't feel a lot of people get the true importance of special teams. That was a point when PC/JS rebuilt this team in 2010. All 3 stages need improvement. I know we are low on draft picks this year, if we don't bundle any of the 3 5th rd picks to move up, I would be all over Dickson in the 5th if he is still there. Ryan is just another piece we need to cut loose, overpaid for his performance.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
original poster":1jw2a5uj said:
Someone will overpay!!!

Storts

Reaction score
12forlife":27twuhlj said:
original poster":27twuhlj said:

I don't feel a lot of people get the true importance of special teams. That was a point when PC/JS rebuilt this team in 2010. All 3 stages need improvement. I know we are low on draft picks this year, if we don't bundle any of the 3 5th rd picks to move up, I would be all over Dickson in the 5th if he is still there. Ryan is just another piece we need to cut loose, overpaid for his performance.

John is that you?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Storts":fl3mx584 said:
12forlife":fl3mx584 said:
original poster":fl3mx584 said:

John is that you?

Yeah, that's eerie...

hawknation2018

Reaction score
12forlife":h04fwh95 said:
original poster":h04fwh95 said:

Um, have any lottery numbers?