13 personnel

bluengreen

Reaction score
Three TEs, 1 RB, 1 WR. Good things happen in 13 Personnel for the Seahawks. Traditionally it is a run formation and indeed the TEs can throw down blocks for K9 with great success but also any of our TEs (Fant, Dissley, Parkinson) can break loose for a monster gain. Huge targets with good hands and blocking ability.

What does a Defense even do?

It seems to be a major weapon for the Seahawks and I haven't seen many threads about it so I thought I would bring it up.

Anyone else as excited about the Seahawks 13 Personnel this season as I am?

sutz

Reaction score
The reason it works is that unlike many other teams, all 3 TEs can run, block, and catch the ball in the patterns.

Most teams will have 1 pass catcher at TE and 1 or 2 more on the roster that are basically extra tackles that just block and maybe get a PA once in a while as a "surprise" play. It's about the versatility, because no matter which one we send into the pattern, or 2 or all 3, they are legitimate receivers that have to be covered.

It's also a damn fine "heavy" formation in the run game, too.

It's genius.

zhawk

Reaction score
Three TEs, 1 RB, 1 WR. Good things happen in 13 Personnel for the Seahawks. Traditionally it is a run formation and indeed the TEs can throw down blocks for K9 with great success but also any of our TEs (Fant, Dissley, Parkinson) can break loose for a monster gain. Huge targets with good hands and blocking ability.

It seems to be a major weapon for the Seahawks and I haven't seen many threads about it so I thought I would bring it up.

I definitely am! Every time I see it I’m expecting something good!

Polk738

Reaction score
I feel like this is the TE group we've been waiting for, for a long time-It was frustrating as hell when the team would sign big name TEs that just wouldn't go anywhere- granted Jimmy Graham got alot of TDs but couldn't block to save his life, Greg Olsen, Gerald Everett were big wastes of money, Luke Wilson had serious stone hands, Ed Dickson was forgettable. This is why I loved watching Will Dissly play his rookie year, great blocker and could make some great catches-then he just got injured 2 seasons in a row, and the team was back to square one, I was very surprised Dissly got the deal that he did but in hindsight I am glad he got that deal, now TE has become a serious force on the team.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

I definately am excited about it. It feels like teams are going to have a hard time defending it because of the versitility of it. Intersesting to see what the Bucks come up with.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
I'm not sure how they can defend it. If they focus on the TE's at the snap, Walker gets big gains out of the same formation. If they chase the TE on the bootleg then Geno can run for a 1st, if they chase Geno the TE is open. Even saw a wide open DK on that huge Fant play.

FPD

Reaction score
13 personnel is probably my favorite formation to watch with this team! It is definitely difficult for other teams' defenses to fight with the studs in the TE room, as mentioned. These things just make it fun and exciting to watch this formation.

Actually, this has been a fun and exciting year to watch the Hawks in general, as we all know! Let's hope we keep truckin' on Sunday!

✌️ :cool:

CouchLogic

Reaction score
With a manster like DK running over the top keeps the safeties honest. Geno willing to thread the needle anywhere between the hashes to the TEs/HB...I could watch that dissection all day. As long as the ugliest keep Geno upright, that's tough for any defense.

Sometimes I wish we used a fullback more, I am biased of course as I loved watching those big boys wreck dudes, haha. That's all you need to do, go out and put the hurt on anyone, it's great.

FPD

Reaction score
...Sometimes I wish we used a fullback more, I am biased of course as I loved watching those big boys wreck dudes, haha. That's all you need to do, go out and put the hurt on anyone, it's great.
Mack Strong. 'Nuff said!

Mick063

Reaction score
With a manster like DK running over the top keeps the safeties honest. Geno willing to thread the needle anywhere between the hashes to the TEs/HB...I could watch that dissection all day. As long as the ugliest keep Geno upright, that's tough for any defense.

Sometimes I wish we used a fullback more, I am biased of course as I loved watching those big boys wreck dudes, haha. That's all you need to do, go out and put the hurt on anyone, it's great.
The "H" back was basically the death knell of the fullback position. Teams loaded up with an extra tight end, taught him a half dozen plays for the fullback position, and created versatile tight end depth while eliminating an underutilized role player. There was a time when fullbacks carried the ball, but now that the position almost exclusively blocks, you see the role being filled by offensive guards or tight ends in a very limited fashion. Versatility that allows your roster to carry extra depth. It isn't like they have to retain volumes of positional information either.

There will come a time when the cyclic NFL has some weird success story with the "I" formation and the copycat league will collectively include it in some fashion. Similar to how everyone has one or two "wildcat" plays now. The fullback will one day make a brief comeback because some stud fullback will carry the ball like Mike Alstott and no one is prepared to deal with it. Then it will be a limited time offer like the "McRib" sandwich because everyone will soon have a counter for it.

Last edited: