10 Years Ago Today

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":yj1fm4hv said:
Aaron Curry Babbbyyyyy!!! He's going to be AWESOME!!
That'll get people's juices flowing. :rofl: :laugh:

Osprey

Reaction score
Funny was having the flashback when I saw this recently:

Devin White - LB
School: LSU | Year: Junior
White rides into Tampa despite the Bucs signing LB Deone Bucannon in free agency. Best linebacker -- and one of the safest picks -- in the draft.

12thbrah

Reaction score
...and 4 years later we won a Super Bowl! :sarcasm_on: thank you Aaron Curry

Greenhell

Reaction score
I still have his #59 jersey hanging in my closet. :?

sdog1981

Reaction score
I was lambasted for hating the pick leading up to the draft. My logic was if the team was going to draft a top 5 4-3 outside linebacker he had to at a minimum be Derrick Brooks for 10 years. Since that would have been next to impossible I thought they should trade down or draft Orakpo.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xqnhrwr said:
Safest pick in the draft!

I've often wondered why he didn't catch on. All the tools but possibly he was just raised in the brickyard?

Rat

Reaction score
Really wanted Crabtree that year. I didn't think Curry was a bad player or anything (can't argue that he wasn't a beast in college), but I mostly just didn't like the idea of using a pick that high on a 4-3 OLB who doesn't rush the passer.

I don't know who our front office had on the draft board, but judging by who else went in the 4-12 range of that draft, it seems unlikely we were ever going to hit it out of the park. Raji was a stud for a few years, perhaps he would have stayed healthier longer here. Crabtree and Eugene Monroe had their moments, but were nothing in the ballpark of difference makers. Maybe this could have been a place where Mark Sanchez could have developed better, it's really hard to tell with QBs.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Rat":1jbkecrd said:
Really wanted Crabtree that year. I didn't think Curry was a bad player or anything (can't argue that he wasn't a beast in college), but I mostly just didn't like the idea of using a pick that high on a 4-3 OLB who doesn't rush the passer.

I don't know who our front office had on the draft board, but judging by who else went in the 4-12 range of that draft, it seems unlikely we were ever going to hit it out of the park. Raji was a stud for a few years, perhaps he would have stayed healthier longer here. Crabtree and Eugene Monroe had their moments, but were nothing in the ballpark of difference makers. Maybe this could have been a place where Mark Sanchez could have developed better, it's really hard to tell with QBs.

One of the reasons I hated the pick is that they already had Julian Peterson, a proven player at the same position but they shipped him out to draft Curry.

Maulbert

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1qetl55c said:
Rat":1qetl55c said:

One of the reasons I hated the pick is that they already had Julian Peterson, a proven player at the same position but they shipped him out to draft Curry.

Same thing I thought. I hated the pick. We had Peterson, Tatupu, and Hill at LB at the time. While that wasn't necessarily a murderer's row, it was solid for a team coming off a 4-12 season with so many massive holes. The last thing we needed to do was create a new hole to fill. I already hated Ruskell, but that soured me on Mora before he even coached a game. I was glad he was fired after only 1 season. While most Hawk fans couldn't get past Pete's re-re-tread status when he was first hired, I was celebrating because I always believed Mora was a garbage coach.

Edit - Not to say I necessarily saw what eventually came from hiring Carroll, I just firmly believed he deserved another shot far more than Mora did.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":47fgcccd said:
I'm hoping for more of a happier result because the last time we had two first round picks and used them we got Okung and ET.

Seattle has used two first round picks four times.

Shawn Springs & Walter Jones - 1997
Shaun Alexander & Chris McIntosh - 2000
Koren Robinson & Steve Hutchinson - 2001
Russell Okung & Earl Thomas - 2010

Not a terrible history in the situation. You could make an argument for at least one player each time to get into the HoF.

Rat

Reaction score
JGreen79":10uj913g said:
Ace_Rimmer":10uj913g said:
I'm hoping for more of a happier result because the last time we had two first round picks and used them we got Okung and ET.

Seattle has used two first round picks four times.

Shawn Springs & Walter Jones - 1997
Shaun Alexander & Chris McIntosh - 2000
Koren Robinson & Steve Hutchinson - 2001
Russell Okung & Earl Thomas - 2010

Not a terrible history in the situation. You could make an argument for at least one player each time to get into the HoF.

I hated that Okung-ET combo, but it was probably better than the Dez Bryant - Jimmy Clausen set I was pulling for. Damn, I overrated how high those two would be selected.

Latest posts