#1 Defense (ppg)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sutz":15emmt8z said:
I think one of the best things about our Defense is that it is actually fairly basic and simple. We have some wrinkles, sure, but mostly we line up with our guys on their guys and dare them to beat us. Two advantages I see:

1. New guys coming in don't need a lot of classroom work. If we draft a CB, he knows the basics of man/cover and fits right in. If he has the basic skill set mastered, he can be effective. This requires good scouting, of course, but this is why Pete insists on drafting at least 1-2 DBs every draft, to keep good young talent in the pipeline and give lots of guys chances to prove their worth. We also seem to have a bead on DBs around the league and are attentive if one gets released or is on the trading block.

2. We don't normally depend on making massive personnel changes snap-to-snap. That way, we don't get as bothered by the various "hurry up" schemes, with the exception of Aaron Rodgers, but he burns everybody with his quick snap. We spend 1/2 to 3/4 of the time in our base set, it seems. Of course, it helps when you have 8 pro-bowlers in the mix. :)

Good analysis. I'd also add it makes it near impossible to scheme against. There is no magic code to beating it. Only thing an offense can hope for is attrition, not turning the ball over, and maybe a fluke miscommunication or over pursuit.