we wanted to draft Foster.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I never knew that we called foster in the 7th round getting ready to draft him . Jim Mora almost did a good thing! Don't take me wrong , im very happy to have Lynch.

Im watching the show Profile:60 on espn and Foster mentions that seattle called him in the 7th round but because he sounded so bummed on the phone to be drafted so low in the 2009 NFL draft Jim Mora decided to pass on him. we ended up taking Nick Reed and boy was he fun to watch that offseason :mrgreen:

jhawk91

Reaction score
I'm watching the same thing. That was a suprise to me to. It got me thinking what if we had gotten him, would he have even been this good, and what would have happened to Lynch. We likley wouldn't have one of the greatest runs in playoff history.

kearly

Reaction score
Just another feather in Mora/Ruskell's cap.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Oh, yes, we only draft guys who are excited about coming to Seattle and are happy with the round they are being picked in. So, if a first rounder falls to the seventh and we call and he seems to be unhappy, we move on to someone else.

Sounds like solid draft principles.

I finally can understand why Kelly Jennings was picked. They probably got the wrong number, but he was so ecstatic with being picked in the first round, they thought, hey, let's make this kids life... You're coming to Seattle, kid!! Woo-hoo...

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lawd, that could've saved us from watching Julius Jones run into his own lineman time n time again, I hate you Mora n Russell!

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Honestly I think it was for the better. If we would have drafted him we would probably still have Mora!!!!!!! :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Just goes to show how little these so called "experts" really know about NFL talent.

Imagine if we'd have had P&J back then. They'd have snatched Foster right up.

LawHawk

Reaction score
I am curious how the conversation ended, just from a human interaction standpoint. Something like "Well, sounds like you don't want to come here, so screw you! We're not picking you!" My guess is that if it was that late in the draft and they hadn't already submitted the pick, this was more like "We're calling to make sure you're healthy because we're considering picking you and we haven't spoken to you yet what with you being a 7th-rounder and all."

Consider also that as a 7th-round rookie he may not have made the team or may have been cut early in the season.

CANHawk

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":32wyjvps said:
Honestly I think it was for the better. If we would have drafted him we would probably still have Mora!!!!!!! :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

Amen. I was going to post the same thing.

cacksman

Reaction score
Starrman44":1xlbmaxd said:
I finally can understand why Kelly Jennings was picked. They probably got the wrong number, but he was so ecstatic with being picked in the first round, they thought, hey, let's make this kids life... You're coming to Seattle, kid!! Woo-hoo...

Haha!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I doubt he would have become the player he is had he been on the Hawks. Our O line was absolutely horrendous in the Mora year. He ended up on a team that ran the ZBS to perfection at the time, with tons of talent on the O line. They were probably the best O line in the NFL at that point, perhaps only recently passed by San Fran. Who knows though? As stated above, maybe he would have played really well and saved Mora's job. Yikes!

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, this is old news. Just shows Ruskell's intolerance. Just more egg on my face as a supporter of his.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Coulda, woulda, shoulda... meh.

Too many what-ifs to shift through to predict what might have happened.

I'm just thankful that the Hawks are where they are at right now... headed into the Playoffs and trending upward at the same time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Foster wouldn't have succeeded here. Not with Locklear, Sims, Spencer, and Unger at RG.

mikeak

Reaction score
So they would rather have a guy excited about being drafted in the 7th round (ie positive surprise for that kid meaning he expected to be a undrafted FA) over a guy that is dissapointed (so he considers himself to be a better player than a 7th rounder)........

doesn't really make sense to me

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
mikeak":lgoasoji said:
So they would rather have a guy excited about being drafted in the 7th round (ie positive surprise for that kid meaning he expected to be a undrafted FA) over a guy that is dissapointed (so he considers himself to be a better player than a 7th rounder)........

doesn't really make sense to me

Exactly. Who the hell wants to draft a guy who's delighted to be a round seven pick? That sees it as a bonus, an unexpected opportunity? Surely you want the guy who is thoroughly pissed off to be a 7th round pick?

This thread provoked me to go back and watch the Houston game in 2009. Even more respect for Paul Allen for making the change that needed to be made.