D-Line Shuffle

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Here is hoping to one of them stepping up and making Jones expendable.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
That's just another reason why I love this team PC and JS have built. "Next man up"

vin.couve12

Reaction score
IMO, Scruggs has had more consistent pressure anyway, but Jones is certainly a loss on the inside pass rush. Would like to see Howard get a shot. Some had him rated as a top 5 DT in this last draft as a 3 tech and I was one of them. He's got quite a bit of talent. He's a 300 pounder and still got his 40 time into the 4.7s, but I also think he shows flexibility so he's not just a streamlined athlete that can't bend and maintain functional strength. I still think he can be a good one.

garydrake425

Reaction score
I like what i've seen from the young DTs so far. I haven't really seen much really and thats probably a good thing.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, when Jones was healthy we were stout against the run. So, a guy like Scruggs comes in with all his "potential" . If you read the article he says he was put in the same position in college and failed. Hopefully, he realizes this isn't college.

kearly

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ynugbka said:
IMO, Scruggs has had more consistent pressure anyway, but Jones is certainly a loss on the inside pass rush. Would like to see Howard get a shot. Some had him rated as a top 5 DT in this last draft as a 3 tech and I was one of them. He's got quite a bit of talent. He's a 300 pounder and still got his 40 time into the 4.7s, but I also think he shows flexibility so he's not just a streamlined athlete that can't bend and maintain functional strength. I still think he can be a good one.

Agreed about Scruggs- every time I watch him I think he's Cory Redding with more natural pass rush ability. I always say that sacks aren't a great way of evaluating pass rush, but to my eyes Scruggs has been our best interior pressure generator this season, and that's somewhat backed up by him having only 1 sack less than Jason Jones in a fraction of the opportunities. The other thing is that nearly all of Jones' sacks are cleanup/vulture sacks. When Scruggs gets a sack, it's all him. To me that's a really important distinction.

Jaye Howard was a beast at times during the preseason. He is a disaster against the run, but on 3rd and long that's a non-factor. He should be the Bruce Irvin of the 3 tech spot. And yet Seattle hasn't tried it. I realize that the 40 man active roster makes it difficult to activate Howard, and that's probably why we haven't seen him, but all the same, Seattle is missing out by not playing him on 3rd downs.

Largent80":2ynugbka said:
Well, when Jones was healthy we were stout against the run. So, a guy like Scruggs comes in with all his "potential" . If you read the article he says he was put in the same position in college and failed. Hopefully, he realizes this isn't college.

Actually, what the article said was that Scruggs had 1st round potential but always slumped in big games. Sometimes a player just needs to be paired with quality coaching to reach his potential. I already like what I've seen from Scruggs. I am a little surprised he was a 7th round pick seeing how much physical talent he has.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":3k9mhmad said:
vin.couve12":3k9mhmad said:

Agreed about Scruggs- every time I watch him I think he's Cory Redding with more natural pass rush ability. I always say that sacks aren't a great way of evaluating pass rush, but to my eyes Scruggs has been our best interior pressure generator this season, and that's somewhat backed up by him having only 1 sack less than Jason Jones in a fraction of the opportunities. The other thing is that nearly all of Jones' sacks are cleanup/vulture sacks. When Scruggs gets a sack, it's all him. To me that's a really important distinction.

Jaye Howard was a beast at times during the preseason. He is a disaster against the run, but on 3rd and long that's a non-factor. He should be the Bruce Irvin of the 3 tech spot. And yet Seattle hasn't tried it. I realize that the 40 man active roster makes it difficult to activate Howard, and that's probably why we haven't seen him, but all the same, Seattle is missing out by not playing him on 3rd downs.

Largent80":3k9mhmad said:

Actually, what the article said was that Scruggs had 1st round potential but always slumped in big games. Sometimes a player just needs to be paired with quality coaching to reach his potential. I already like what I've seen from Scruggs. I am a little surprised he was a 7th round pick seeing how much physical talent he has.

Being 280+ and getting his 40 down in the high 4.6s makes him a potential inside pass rushing problem. However, I also think he plays with a very good pad level and is why I think he was more productive in less snaps. He's a player to watch. Has been very productive on a per snap basis compared to Jones, IMO.

EDIT: Re; Scruggs....

Latest posts