Players with Practice Squad eligibility (UPDATED 9/7)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
FIRST PRACTICE SQUAD (10): TE RaShaun Allen, C Will Pericak, LB Eric Pinkins, T Terry Poole, WR Kevin Smith, RB Rod Smith, WR Kasen Williams, CB Justin Coleman, CB Kevin Short, and DE Robert Thomas.

RB Thomas Rawls 5'11, 215 -- 50-50 to make the roster
FB Rod Smith 6'3, 231
WR Kevin Smith 5'11, 215 -- 50-50 to make the roster
WR Kasen Williams, 6'1, 210 -- RELEASED
WR Chris Matthews 6'5, 230 -- roster lock
TE Rashaun Allen 6'5, 250
OG Mark Glowinski 6'4, 307 -- roster lock
OG Kristjan Sokoli 6'5, 300 -- roster lock
OC Patrick Lewis 6'1, 305 --highly likely to make the roster
T/G Terry Poole 6'5, 315 -- 50-50 to make the roster
OL Will Pericak 6'4, 296
NT/3T T.Y. McGill 6'0, 300 -- 50-50 to make the roster
5T/3TJulius Warmsley 6'2, 290
DT/DE Jesse Williams 6'3, 320 -- RELEASED
LEO Obum Gwacham 6'5, 245
5T/DE David King 6'4, 270 -- 50-50 to make the roster
LB Tyrell Adams, 6'2, 228
LB Alex Singleton 6'2, 242
OLB Eric Pinkins 6'3, 230 -- 50-50 to make the roster
SS Keenan Lambert 6'0, 209 -- RELEASED
NB Marcus Burley 5'10, 189 --roster lock
FS/NB Steven Terrell 5'10, 197
SS Ryan Murphy, 6'3, 214
CB Douglas McNeil 6'3, 212
CB Mohammed Seisay 6'1, 202 -- likely waived injured, reverts to IR if not claimed
SS Ronald Martin 6'2, 220 -- 50-50 to make the roster
SS/FS Dion Bailey 6'0, 215 --highly likely to make the roster
CB/SS DeShawn Shead 6'1, 225 -- roster lock
CB Tye Smith, 6'0, 190 --highly likely to make the roster

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/9/4/9262 ... in/9024318

UPDATE: McGill, Martin, Obum, and Lambert have been acquired by other teams.

Douglas McNeil, Tyrell Adams, Ryan Murphy, Alex Singleton, and Julius Warmsley are currently PS eligible and unsigned.

Largent80

Reaction score
Man, I wish there were more spots available on the PS as there are some nice players getting a visit from the Turk tomorrow.

anonFAFA

Reaction score
I'm not understanding why some think Chris Matthews is such a lock to make the roster. I saw nothing during preseason that made him standout and if you believe the reports/what Bevell said, he's not that impressive during practice either.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
anonFAFA":1onr4nnz said:
I'm not understanding why some think Chris Matthews is such a lock to make the roster. I saw nothing during preseason that made him standout and if you believe the reports/what Bevell said, he's not that impressive during practice either.

It's all about one game . . . that just happens to be the biggest game of the year. They didn't know what they had in him because he has never really shown up in practices or preseason games. There is a lot of competition at that spot between Kasen Williams (another physical receiver who has shown up in practice and preseason), Kevin Smith (fluid, dynamic play maker with amazing catching radius), B.J. Daniels (solid backup QB, special teamer, still learning WR position), Ricardo Lockette (very good special teamer, fast, still learning how to be a complete WR), etc. All four of those guys are more dynamic and versatile on special teams. Taking all that into account, I have Matthews as "highly likely" to make the roster. That performance was just too special to ignore, in addition to his height, which poses unique mismatches.

timmat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3mf6tsuo said:
anonFAFA":3mf6tsuo said:

It's all about one game . . . that just happens to be the biggest game of the year. They didn't know what they had in him because he has never really shown up in practices or preseason games. There is a lot of competition at that spot between Kasen Williams (another physical receiver who has shown up in practice and preseason), Kevin Smith (fluid, dynamic play maker with amazing catching radius), B.J. Daniels (solid backup QB, special teamer, still learning WR position), Ricardo Lockette (very good special teamer, fast, still learning how to be a complete WR), etc. All four of those guys are more dynamic and versatile on special teams. Taking all that into account, I have Matthews as "highly likely" to make the roster. That performance was just too special to ignore, in addition to his height, which poses unique mismatches.

Matthews' style doesn't really flash in practice I don't think, although he does need to continue improving his route precision. As for this preseason, the guy got hurt early in the first game, and only game back last night. He also looked to be getting back into game shape last night, so still not firing 100%. There was a camera shot of him completely wide open waving his arms in the end zone on a play last night and BJ Daniels through the ball to the underneath cross instead. Pete has said he likes him on special teams coverage.

He's the type of receiver that requires the confidence of his quarterback to throw him the ball when he's still basically covered - and he'll go get it. I think there's lots of completions there if he and Russ get on the same page with that. His body type at WR could be a real asset if Russ is required to get rid of the ball quickly (O Line) and he has single coverage. He's never going to be a burner and "ooh and ahhh" in practice. He does need to continue improving his route running, and as long as he and Russ gain a comfort level he'll be valuable. Nobody throws a better touch 'jump ball' than Russ, and Matthews seems like a guy that will be great at high-pointing a touch pass.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
UPDATE: Kasen Williams, Jesse Williams, and Keenan Lambert are all rumored to have been released. They have 24 hours to clear waivers before being eligible for the practice squad.

Chris Matthews and B.J. Daniels are rumored to have made the roster, as expected.

50-50 OL candidate and SPARQ freak Kristjan Sokoli is rumored to have made the roster. With this news, I am tempted to downgrade Patrick Lewis, even though he has played great in the preseason and was specifically named by Cable as having solidified the backup center position. Terry Poole's probability might also be downgraded.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
WAIVED
DT T.Y. McGill
T Terry Poole
LB Alex Singleton
WR Kevin Smith
RB Rod Smith
DE Julius Warmsley
WR Kasen Williams
CB Douglas McNeil III
S Ronald Martin, Jr.
G KeaVon Milton
S Ryan Murphy
G/C Will Pericak
LB Eric Pinkins
LB Tyrell Adams
TE RaShaun Allen
QB R.J. Archer
DE Obum Gwacham
CB Will Blackmon
TE Anthony McCoy

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think it's 24 hours to go through the waiver process. If no team claims them off waivers, they're free to sign with whoever they want.

two dog

Reaction score
I would really like to see the NFL allow teams to move say, four players
directly to the practice squad where those four players would be poach
proof by other teams.

But I guess that would be depriving those four of the opportunity to make
a better living by being poached onto a 53 man roster.
There, I killed my own idea.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'm really upset about TY McGill. I hope he gets picked up by another team and proves that he shoulda made the roster over King.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
two dog":eu22z1uh said:
proof by other teams.

Are players on the practice squad "poach proof?" I had thought they could be signed from another team by our practice squad as long as they were signed directly to a 53-man roster.

Am I wrong? (Probably so... but would love clarification, either way).

titan3131

Reaction score
aawolf":20hjnl4y said:
I'm really upset about TY McGill. I hope he gets picked up by another team and proves that he shoulda made the roster over King.

Not sure what you are thinking here, Best case scenario is he is on practice squad and becomes a jhill replacement in a ew years.

drdiags

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":ftdd4hny said:
two dog":ftdd4hny said:
proof by other teams.

Are players on the practice squad "poach proof?" I had thought they could be signed from another team by our practice squad as long as they were signed directly to a 53-man roster.

Am I wrong? (Probably so... but would love clarification, either way).

They can be poached at any time, but they do get the option to turn down being poached by the other team. I believe they have to stay on the poaching team's 53-man for 3 games/weeks, but not sure anymore about that part of the PS rules.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Doc and v!. Even our PS guys aren't "safe," but it would be neat to see some of them be locked in for a while.

UGotHawked

Reaction score
titan3131":163b04kv said:
aawolf":163b04kv said:

Not sure what you are thinking here, Best case scenario is he is on practice squad and becomes a jhill replacement in a ew years.

I thought they would keep McGill over King as well, but by most accounts it was close. Interesting take from Hawkblogger may possibly cast a little light on it.

https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/640282145580294144

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
UGotHawked":3bpis7qg said:
titan3131":3bpis7qg said:
aawolf":3bpis7qg said:

I thought they would keep McGill over King as well, but by most accounts it was close. Interesting take from Hawkblogger may possibly cast a little light on it.

Hmmmmmm interesting. Oh, and a comment from one RyanAdamDavis as well. :D

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":340l3e99 said:
UGotHawked":340l3e99 said:
titan3131":340l3e99 said:
aawolf":340l3e99 said:

Hmmmmmm interesting. Oh, and a comment from one RyanAdamDavis as well. :D

Yup, Carroll hinted at this during his last press conference . . . which caused me to lower McGill's probability of making the roster from "highly likely," based on his extraordinary explosiveness and change of direction abilities, to a 50-50 coin flip.