HighlandHawks half way point mock draft

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
At the half way point I decided to do another mock. Looking at how the season has goone so far (very well) but what we could do better and what we will have to address in the future I've gone WR early as I don't believe we can pickup someone we want in the second other than potentially Odell Beckham but he's no lock to declare anyway. I've only gone for seniors due to the "Will they declare or not?" issue where I could be spending time looking at people who won't even be in the draft. As always certain positions have to be neglected, this year I had to put aside TE (I now think Zach will be back with the loss of Sid) and DE (OB Schofield and Mayowa will need to stepup).

Round 1: Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Round 2: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Round 4: Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
Round 5: Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon
Round 5: Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
Round 6: John Urschel, OG, Penn State
Round 7: Keith McGill, CB, Utah

Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt, 6'3" 205 lbs
(Alternative picks: Odell Beckham, Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee)

[youtube]mTbadD5YPUE[/youtube]

+ Big bodied receiver
+ Good route runner

~ Quick, but not fast
~ If not tackled he'll get good YAC, but if he's caught he'll go down without a struggle

- Can drop balls, hands not perfect
- Won't gain great separation through speed nor physical size

I get the feeling Allen Robinson will sneak up the boards and taken earlier than we will be picking and with no guarantee that Marqise Lee or Odell Beckham will declare I'll go with the only other big receiver that may be around the end of the 1st round. Matthews is a good player, shows a lot of good talent with ability to make big plays. He wont have huge workout numbers, he lacks that raw speed but he certainly has that game speed.

TLDR Reason: Need a #1 WR threat. I believe if we wait into the second round we risk losing out on the big WR Pete covets.

Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia, 6'6" 325 lbs
(Alternative pick: JaWuan James)

[youtube]ISww9sWRRBM[/youtube]

+ Experience at right tackle and even at guard should help him adjust
+ Long arms, keeps defenders at bay, 'nimble' feet apparently.
+ Shows consistent play against speed and power rushers.

- Can overstretch at times
- Technique needs improvement
- Weight could become a concern

So, a fairly unheard of tackle in the second round? Well without a third round pick we'll Morgan Moses actually reminds me of James Carpenter, no not Seahawks right tackle James Carpenter but Alabama, left tackle James Carpenter... Same guy just appeared completely different in college and in the NFL. I have more confidence in Morgan though.

TLDR Reason: We need to try and shore the line up again. Might be a 'reach' but can't afford to lose out again as we did last year

Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State, 6'4" 302 lbs

[youtube]KsAk6wDXnYw[/youtube]

+ Good pass and run blocking
+ Steps upto the second level quickly if no defenders and pulls well.
+ Powerful hands

- Not overly quick
- May have reached ceiling as centre and won't develop much further.

4th round.. centre... errr? Yup, decided to go for an interior lineman here. When we have a need at a role (offensive line in this case) PCJS have been known to draft and attack it through free agency. Richburg might be a centre but he started off as a guard but moved to centre after three games. Having a centre start to learn the NFL ropes behind a pro bowl calibre player helps protect the future (injury and cap reasons). The fact he can play guard and has graded highly throughout his college career gives him that versatility Cable likes in his offensive linemen.

TLDR Reason: Depth, long term replacement and more depth. Could be a potential starter at guard

Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon, 6'3" 230 lbs

[youtube]Nu_u1wr8Wwo[/youtube]

+ Good burst of speed
+ Recognises plays as they develop
+ Good OLB size

- Needs to add weight
- Basic mechanics

This guy is fun to watch. Fast, tall, long arms, almost a prototypical OLB for PC. Lokombo might be lacking in mechanics and he can be a bit stiff to turn to react but the important thing is that he does anticipate the ball well. Knows some basic pass rush moves, often using quick burst and a spin move if playing as a rushing LB. Potential to bulk up (he's no way 230lb at the moment) and develop long term into a LEO but really I think he'd fit in well as depth and special teams.

TLDR Reason: LB depth with a potential LEO development player

Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton, 6'2" 305 lbs

[youtube]igeMVgO5CLw[/youtube]

+ Quick burst for a DT
+ Could potentially play all over the defensive line
+ Decent athleticism

- Level of competition not great
- Will tire

Quick defensive tackle. Actually has the potential to play a bit on the outside of the line (see Reds 5 tech spot), can be a handful if single teamed. Reminds me a bit of Jordan Hill whom I mocked last year to us (only one I got right...).

TLDR Reason: Nice bit of depth again. Could actually work out as a decent player in obvious passing downs

John Urschel, OG, Penn State 6'3" 301 lbs

TLDR Reason: Smart kid, would be able to quickly pick up and put into practice offensive line concepts at an NFL level. Not overly physical or athletic but has the potential to stick around.

Keith McGill, CB, Utah, 6'2" 205 lbs

TLDR Reason: Only tall CB that is lurking in the lower rounds. With a good chance we lose BB or WT3 (or even both) we have no guarantee that Tharold Simon will step up as a competent backup let alone starter. We also always draft a cornerback, so why stop now?

Latest posts