Woolen over Gardner for DROY. Case Closed?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Former Seahawks WR and current radio co-host Michael Bumpus says Woolen is a "runaway favorite" to win Defensive Rookie of the Year, and I have to agree, regardless of the national mediot's opinions. He makes a great point:

“They keep trying to throw Sauce in there and I’m gonna tell you why it’s not Sauce. Let’s just look at the numbers before anything else. Woolen, six interceptions. Sauce, one. Woolen, one forced fumble. Sauce, zero. Woolen, two fumble recoveries. Sauce, zero. Woolen, one blocked field goal that led to a touchdown. Sauce, zero.”

More here...

Bumpus: Seahawks’ Woolen is ‘runaway’ favorite for Defensive Rookie of the Year

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Can't argue with that logic. Coug great Michael Bumpus!!!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Former Seahawks WR and current radio co-host Michael Bumpus says Woolen is a "runaway favorite" to win Defensive Rookie of the Year, and I have to agree, regardless of the national mediot's opinions. He makes a great point:

“They keep trying to throw Sauce in there and I’m gonna tell you why it’s not Sauce. Let’s just look at the numbers before anything else. Woolen, six interceptions. Sauce, one. Woolen, one forced fumble. Sauce, zero. Woolen, two fumble recoveries. Sauce, zero. Woolen, one blocked field goal that led to a touchdown. Sauce, zero.”

More here...

Bumpus: Seahawks’ Woolen is ‘runaway’ favorite for Defensive Rookie of the Year
Hard to argue with cold hard facts.

Sauce is believed to be a top defensive player right now. But doesn’t have the accolades and numbers to add to a pro bowl resume as Tariq has.

This battle between Sauce and Tariq reminded me of what Sherm once said if anyone remembers watching.

Sherm said in this league the best corners gets picks! You are not the best corner if the QB doesn’t throw your way, you also have to have the turnovers.

This was right about the time Sherm was gunning for that title when he was feuding with Darrelle Revis.

Sherm had said Sherm is the best cause Sherm had the interceptions to say so and Revis was lacking in that area.

There are debates that if a corner is so good, QB, avoid them completely so they can’t get any picks, however, not having any interceptions is not exactly a good measurement of accolades.

Imagine you trying to sell your idea that you are the top player in the game but none of the stats other than people saying they are so good they are avoided completely. It’s hard to backup any claims without some numbers.

I agree Tariq is the run away DPOY favorite for a rookie and it’s not even and should not be close.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily agree with Sherm concerning the turnovers. If you’re known as a lockdown corner and the ball isn’t coming your way…ever….turnovers are a biased stat.

With that said, I absolutely think Woolen deserves the award. The turnovers certainly help make his case but the kid can cover pretty damn good too!!

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Former Seahawks WR and current radio co-host Michael Bumpus says Woolen is a "runaway favorite" to win Defensive Rookie of the Year, and I have to agree, regardless of the national mediot's opinions.
While I agree Woolen is the more impactful player but isn't the winner voted on by the mediots?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think PFF has Gardner rated higher but not sure what the advanced stats show. Woolen has six picks and has a good coverage grade so I would be curious in what metric Sauce is higher. Both are fantastic though

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily agree with Sherm concerning the turnovers. If you’re known as a lockdown corner and the ball isn’t coming your way…ever….turnovers are a biased stat.

With that said, I absolutely think Woolen deserves the award. The turnovers certainly help make his case but the kid can cover pretty damn good too!!
Sauce has been targeted more though. there is nothing more important than the ball.

Turnovers decide games.

Slick

Reaction score
One plays in New York, one plays in Seattle. Easy to see why Gardner gets more attention and accolades.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Maybe Geno can help his boy out and throw a TD pass on Sauce while Woolen picks off whoever they have playing QB come week 17. :sneaky:

Boohman14

Reaction score
It's tough to beat a player in a major market for accolades. Woolen is a play-maker though. I think that Woolen may have a higher ceiling than Gardner as he has better physical tools. Sherman didn't really hit his stride until his third season. I think that Woolen may be even better in his third season.