Why Steelers will replace Russell Wilson “early” with Justin Fields

chrispy

Reaction score
RCW has been all over Social Media about how he's found the fountain of youth and feels young again. Fields is 10 years younger than Wilson. Wilson will have to make up for 10 years of speed/agility with pocket-passing acumen. uh ....no.

Steelers 2nd game is at Denver. They'll be more hostile than his homecoming to Seattle. I predict he'll get a concussion in that game and Fields will start the next several games. At some point, the Steelers will have to decide which one they're going to try and sign and they'll play both of them the last 1/3 of the season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
a diminished ME3 is still better than Fields. that dude is awful.
After what I saw with the Bears, If that version stays the same then I
have to agree.
He can outrun Me3 for sure but that's about it.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
RCW has been all over Social Media about how he's found the fountain of youth and feels young again. Fields is 10 years younger than Wilson. Wilson will have to make up for 10 years of speed/agility with pocket-passing acumen. uh ....no.

Steelers 2nd game is at Denver. They'll be more hostile than his homecoming to Seattle. I predict he'll get a concussion in that game and Fields will start the next several games. At some point, the Steelers will have to decide which one they're going to try and sign and they'll play both of them the last 1/3 of the season.
I suspect that Steeler has a 1a and 1b in their two QBs, the front office and coaching staff are all saying nice things about both QB. Wilson has been his usual positive self but focused on saying how good a condition he's in and how he felt younger, Field is all respectful towards Wilson but making it clear that he is competing for the starting role.

Under the kumbaya, Steelers should be hoping that Fields pulls a Geno Smith and becomes a top 15 if not top 10 QB with a change in coaching etc., He is young enough to be their franchise QB for the next 5-7 years, that couldn't be said about Wilson.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I’m thinking Russ has done a gut check. Managed to extract his head from his okole. His work-out footage caused me to believe he’d be the most NFL ready ( best) QB n this past draft. I am now, finally and totally indifferent to the former Hawk QB. But I think as long as the Pittsburgh temps are above freezing, which won’t be long, he’s head and shoulders better than Justin Fields.

*though I have to admit Wilson played above average in such conditions and at a higher latitude last year. Just as many continue to see him as a whipping post and a circus side show, I’d never count the little guy out. I’ll be less surprised if he winds up authoring the feel good story of the year than I would if he rides the pine for Fields. Russ is a savvy cat. He knows the game and he knows many are just waiting for him to fail. I don’t think he’d put himself and family through that again. He’s on a mission and I would t want to bet against a refocused and determined Russ Wilson. NOPE!

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson is reading about the youth of Fields that the media is talking about, he wants to broadcast his rejuvenation and I am sure his energy level is going to be high out of the gate. He will use all questions surrounding Fields and his inexperience to gain an advantage. Fields just has to perform, learn as much as he can, not stir the pot, Wilson will do that all by himself and the fans when they see what he is all about.

keasley45

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. If Russ loses a couple games in true Russ fashion, they'll be calling for Fields. Could be as soon as a month in to the season, but I think mid October if they're under .500.

I think the Steelers will replace Russ with Fields because Fields will be better. But part of me believes they do it slowly because if he starts more than 40% of games in 2024, their conditional draft pick goes up from a 6th or whatever it was they gave up, to a 4th i think.

So as much as the FO might want Fields to win, they probably wouldnt mind if Russ keeps them competitive until week 8 or so. Before that, if Russ struggles, they may let him start and bring Fields off the bench to avoid the additional draft picks.

keasley45

Reaction score
Wilson is reading about the youth of Fields that the media is talking about, he wants to broadcast his rejuvenation and I am sure his energy level is going to be high out of the gate. He will use all questions surrounding Fields and his inexperience to gain an advantage. Fields just has to perform, learn as much as he can, not stir the pot, Wilson will do that all by himself and the fans when they see what he is all about.
Agree. He needs to be reading the playbook and figuring out how to run their offense as its designed. If he cant make that part click at year 12, it doesnt matter if he's 'humbled' himself or has a wake-up call. Fields willreplace him if he can run the offense reliably.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What I'd really love to see is the Rustbuckets win their first two games, enough to give their fan base exuberant hope, and then lose every game after that.

Actually, what I'd really love to see is them be the third winless team in NFL history.

I'll take either scenario.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
What I'd really love to see is the Rustbuckets win their first two games, enough to give their fan base exuberant hope, and then lose every game after that.

Actually, what I'd really love to see is them be the third winless team in NFL history.

I'll take either scenario.

If XL hadn't happened, I'd be fine with either of those. But after XL, I want the Title Stealers and their title-theft-justifying fans to suffer much more-severe consequences from the team's 2024 roster-construction mistakes. So what I want to happen is for the season to start out really well for the Stealers the way the Broncos' winning streak went last year. I'm talkin' lots of fumble luck and the defense winning games, and Wilson managing not to hurt the team just enough for it to win and -- this part is crucial -- believe the Russellettes and anyone who's still willing to prop up Wilson in the media when that mix of suckers and charlatans affirm that the team's success is due to Wilson's magic winning powers. I want the Stealers to then sign Wilson to a five-year extension in, say, the top third or quarter of the starting-QB compensation range, with at least two thirds of that guaranteed.

I'd consider that roughly the equivalent of the Romans razing Carthage and plowing its fields with salt.

"SLAG NATION! LET'S RUST!"

[And yes, I am aware that that thing about plowing salt into the Carthaginian fields almost certainly never happened. It stays because I just don't think the Stealers are going to be very good this year, so the whole Wilson-ruins-the-Stealers-for-years-like-he-did-with-the-Broncos scenario is pie in the sky]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If XL hadn't happened, I'd be fine with either of those. But after XL, I want the Title Stealers and their title-theft-justifying fans to suffer much more-severe consequences from the team's 2024 roster-construction mistakes. So what I want to happen is for the season to start out really well for the Stealers the way the Broncos' winning streak went last year. I'm talkin' lots of fumble luck and the defense winning games, and Wilson managing not to hurt the team just enough for it to win and -- this part is crucial -- believe the Russellettes and anyone who's still willing to prop up Wilson in the media when that mix of suckers and charlatans affirm that the team's success is due to Wilson's magic winning powers. I want the Stealers to then sign Wilson to a five-year extension in, say, the top third or quarter of the starting-QB compensation range, with at least two thirds of that guaranteed.

I'd consider that roughly the equivalent of the Romans razing Carthage and plowing its fields with salt.

"SLAG NATION! LET'S RUST!"

[And yes, I am aware that that thing about plowing salt into the Carthaginian fields almost certainly never happened. It stays because I just don't think the Stealers are going to be very good this year, so the whole Wilson-ruins-the-Stealers-for-years-like-he-did-with-the-Broncos scenario is pie in the sky]
You ever look at the Stealers Playoff/SB wins from the start?
Almost every season they went far in the playoffs has some controversy,it's unreal how much and
most of it is pre internet/replay.
You have XL and Me3 going to a team most Hawks fans hate for that.
Why does he always have to irritate me? Just retire "It's been over".

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Agree. He needs to be reading the playbook and figuring out how to run their offense as its designed. If he cant make that part click at year 12, it doesnt matter if he's 'humbled' himself or has a wake-up call. Fields willreplace him if he can run the offense reliably.
The thing is, Wilson couldn't or wouldn't make that part click in his first 11 years, and suddenly clicks in year 12?

keasley45

Reaction score
The thing is, Wilson couldn't or wouldn't make that part click in his first 11 years, and suddenly clicks in year 12?
I doubt it will either. Humbled or not.

He's a full 3 and a half years removed from that 6 game stretch in the beginning of 20' when it looked like he was going to take over the league.

Thats a long time removed from co
nsistent, elite play, let alone, top 12 play. He slowly imploded from game 7 of 2020 to the point he was benched In 2023. Sure, he had stretches of decent play, but like Peyton said, it was nothing that was sustainable.

Tough road ahead for #3. The good ol' days are fading quickly.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
He's a full 3 and a half years removed from that 6 game stretch in the beginning of 20' when it looked like he was going to take over the league.
Those 6 games were quite magical, weren't they? In hindsight, those games benefitted from the element of surprise? Teams didn't expect Hawks to call those plays, but after a few games, DCs adjusted. Our OC and QB couldn't counter whatever the DCs did.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I see Russ having a resurgence of his career. One thing we can't deny is WHEN HE CHOOSES, he can get laser focused on his craft and I think the last two years has been a giant learning lesson for him. If he truly want greatness, which he does, if he really wants to be anointed in Canton (which he does), he knows what he has to do. Settle down with the "Brand" and "Legacy" BS and get back to football.
He can’t run like he used too, and that’s his biggest issue. He never used to take sacks late in games when plays needed to be made. But his last year in Seattle he took a huge sack vs the Rams. Right then I knew he was done