Why is a lineman downfield a penalty?

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
It’s another dumb rule the nfl creates to make it easier to change the momentum of a game. So many rules that are written to confuse or to leave it open to many interpretations.
Actually it's not. This is the NFL not rugby.

bluengreen

Reaction score
I can understand getting tagged on a ticky tack oops got two whole yards downfield, but then to do it again, and then again?

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Good rule. Easy to understand why it is in place if you've played any linebacker or safety. The calls were legitimate today; though it sucks that the Hawks lost. A veteran lineman needs to know better.
I worded my original question poorly. I'm not disputing the call. It was ticky tacky, but they were more than 1 yard down field. I'm not even whining about it, it didn't decide the game. I'm really asking why it's a rule? What purpose does it serve? Holding make sense. I've never played linebacker or safety. I'm really just looking for an explanation of why it's in the rule book?

Simphawks

Reaction score
I can understand getting tagged on a ticky tack oops got two whole yards downfield, but then to do it again, and then again?
Blame it on the players that kept breaking the rules. It sounds like you want the refs to purposely not call any repeat offenses on seattle. That’s not the way things work.

mwmccollough

Reaction score
Since we are talking penalties, how about the hold by Aiyuk on Woolen during the long Deebo TD. It was about as obvious as you get.

Mix

Reaction score
After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that we never earned our Lombardi Trophy, apparently the Refs steered the game so we would win.

Nunya

Reaction score
I worded my original question poorly. I'm not disputing the call. It was ticky tacky, but they were more than 1 yard down field. I'm not even whining about it, it didn't decide the game. I'm really asking why it's a rule? What purpose does it serve? Holding make sense. I've never played linebacker or safety. I'm really just looking for an explanation of why it's in the rule book?
It is my understanding that the rule is in place to prevent O-Linemen from posing as receivers. When a team lines up pre-snap, there needs to be 7 players on the line of scrimmage and only the 2 outside players are eligible. If any of the inside 5 player go downfield, this could confuse the defense as to which players need to be covered which could leave an eligible receiver uncovered. This become even more crucial in todays football where a TE or RB blocks before releasing late.

In college football, a lineman is allowed to go downfield up to 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. In the NFL, it is only 1 yard.

Another reason why this rule is in place is to prevent a team from confusing the defense as to whether they are running a pass or a run play. On run plays, linemen are allowed to go downfield. A play is not considered a pass play until the QB's arm is going forward. Therefore, a lineman is allowed to be downfield until the QB attempts to throw a pass. If the pass is behind the QB, then it is a lateral and is still considered to be a run play and the linemen can be downfield prior to the lateral.

Last edited:

WmHBonney

Reaction score
This has been a rule at all levels of football for as long as I can remember. It's basic lineman football 101. When we're passing, don't go downfield. We have been called for this penalty all year long. It happened several times in the first few games and I asked why as I had hardly ever seen it called before. This penalty was a "point of emphasis" this year for the entire league. I watch dozens of games and it was called very often everywhere. There is no excuse. It was stupidity to get flagged for this.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Since we are talking penalties, how about the hold by Aiyuk on Woolen during the long Deebo TD. It was about as obvious as you get.
Agreed. That was blatant and so was the hold by DK. I get pissed every time I see a WR get away with this blatant holding. This happens far too often. Make the damn call. It almost always happens right in front of a ref too. There is no excuse for not making the call.

Nunya

Reaction score
This has been a rule at all levels of football for as long as I can remember. It's basic lineman football 101. When we're passing, don't go downfield. We have been called for this penalty all year long. It happened several times in the first few games and I asked why as I had hardly ever seen it called before. This penalty was a "point of emphasis" this year for the entire league. I watch dozens of games and it was called very often everywhere. There is no excuse. It was stupidity to get flagged for this.
There is seldom a good reason for a lineman to be downfield on a normal pass play. You most often see it when the QB starts to scramble and decides to throw at the last minute.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
The real question is why is a lineman running downfield on a pass play?
This may have been mentioned. On the 1st one at least (there was good footage on the in-game replay), the DLineman in front of Lewis (and I'm assuming his assignment) pulled off the line at the snap- not 100% sure but it looked like he dropped into coverage? No other defender came into Lewis' zone- and he appears to move forward looking for someone to block. My first thought was they baited him; and with the ensuing two other calls for the same thing I'm not sure they didn't.

Edit:
My guess is that somebody on the 49ers mentioned to the refs that Seattle's linemen had a tendency to do this, which is why the refs were looking for it.
There you go!

Last edited:

bluengreen

Reaction score
Blame it on the players that kept breaking the rules. It sounds like you want the refs to purposely not call any repeat offenses on seattle. That’s not the way things work.
Nope, I was blaming it on the player. All three penalties were on Damien Lewis. Anyone can mess up once, but then to do it again, and then again? His inability or unwillingness to stop breaking the rule was very frustrating.

sutz

Reaction score
This may have been mentioned. On the 1st one at least (there was good footage on the in-game replay), the DLineman in front of Lewis (and I'm assuming his assignment) pulled off the line at the snap- not 100% sure but it looked like he dropped into coverage? No other defender came into Lewis' zone- and he appears to move forward looking for someone to block. My first thought was they baited him; and with the ensuing two other calls for the same thing I'm not sure they didn't.

Edit:

There you go!
Yeah, Lewis is no rookie. He shouldn't fall for that. It not only invites the penalty, it breaks the pocket and gives a delayed rusher a lane. OL should know to never move forward on pass plays.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Yeah, Lewis is no rookie. He shouldn't fall for that. It not only invites the penalty, it breaks the pocket and gives a delayed rusher a lane. OL should know to never move forward on pass plays.
Of course. They were smart to take advantage of a tendency, and Lewis should have known better, if that is indeed what happened.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I noticed that as well.

I was kind of going off what the broadcast was saying, though, that they usually don't call it unless you're two yards past the line. Turns out, one yard is the limit in the NFL. Not sure how it's called, usually, though.

schkoot

Reaction score
I suppose it should be a penalty, but the bufferzone should be bigger. One yard is one bad step for a big 6'-7" guy.
My heart feels like it shouldn't matter as they are ineligible to catch a pass.