Why all this Matt Leinert for backup hate?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I actually think he would be an above-average backup. Why are people hating on the potential move?

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think the negativity likely comes from him having little to no upside or athletic ability. I think that the rumor also insinuates that he would just be handed or locked into the #2 QB job, when he should really have to compete for it and not be guaranteed anything.

Going with a "has been or never was" at any position is a very non-Seahawky thing to do.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I hate to say this, and I know people will revolt, but again, I like Vince Young on a vet minimum flyer. If Pete Carroll can't get through to him, no one can.

I also hate to say THIS, but if (when) Kevin Kolb beats out Tarvaris Jackson in Buffalo and TJ gets cut, I would be perfectly happy with having him back here for less than 1M if we carry three QBs.

General Manager

Reaction score
I have no problem with Young as a backup except he can't hit the broad side of a barn. There in some trouble now at backup because good ones don't grow on trees.

godawg

Reaction score
Smelly, I'm not a Vince Young hater, but the reason he and other super "talented" QBs sometimes fail is that an NFL QB must have good judgment, must think quickly under pressure, and must be smarter than a rock.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Who cares? We're talking about the back-up QB here. 8 or 9 of the top 10 teams don't have good ones. People need to stop stressing about it so much.

hawker84

Reaction score
no to Leinhart and TJ, neither has proven they can handle the pressure of the position..

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Any guy that turns down an opportunity to compete for a starting job to just ride the pine is not fit for this team.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawker84":14kjhn5t said:
no to Leinhart and TJ, neither has proven they can handle the pressure of the position..

As a starter. TJ can get you to .500 in a 4 game span. If you're starter is hurt longer than that the season can go down the drain pretty quick.

I'm fine drafting a backup at this point.

kf3339

Reaction score
It is just amazing to me why anyone would be this bothered by a potential backup QB for this team. I don't really care who they come up with, since I really don't see them on the field for more than spot duty, or perhaps a game here or there if Wilson can't go.

But Wilson is young, smart, knows how to avoid the big hits and stay healthy. That is all anyone should really care about right now.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":jc551x07 said:
I hate to say this, and I know people will revolt, but again, I like Vince Young on a vet minimum flyer. If Pete Carroll can't get through to him, no one can.

I also hate to say THIS, but if (when) Kevin Kolb beats out Tarvaris Jackson in Buffalo and TJ gets cut, I would be perfectly happy with having him back here for less than 1M if we carry three QBs.

Not going to revolt. But seeing how he backed up Vick in 2011 when Seattle just destroyed that team kind of makes me not want him to even hold our clipboard.

Right idea. But I think we have to put a floor expectation that said backup could go .500 in relief. I just don't see Vince ever having been that dedicated to play.

I'd liken a backup QB to a designated hitter. Some hitters need to start in the field. Whether it's ego, or just that they have a hard time staying with the game/season in a series of intermittent ad fitful activity. Some guys just aren't able to keep their focus sharp if they aren't playing all the time.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
To answer the original question......because he sucks. He has terrible arm strength, can't handle pressure and seems clueless when it comes to reading defenses. Not exactly a recipe for success in the NFL at the QB position.

mikeak

Reaction score
Lets not compare TJack or Vince Young to starters in the league and ability to handle the pressure of winning.

Lets compare them to Leinart, Charlie Batch, Joe Webb, Jason Campbell etc

Can they handle the pressure of holding the clipboard for most of the games?

Can they handle the pressure from taking the ball from a Center and taking a knee at end of games

And moving away from sarcasm

Can they come in if RW gets knocked out and NOT SCREW UP. I am not asking them to win games I am asking them to manage the games. Throw over the middle, slants and not loose the game. If RW gets a concussion he is out the rest of the game and the next game. You need someone that hopefully takes you 1-1 in those two games. You don't need superstar and if he has to play more you hope that he can be servicable

Vince Young can in my mind do this, TJack can do this - not sure Leinart can do that but other knows him better than me.....

Rat

Reaction score
Leinart is terrible.

I supported him for a long time. In 2006, despite numbers that were far from overwhelming, I've seen very, very few rookie QBs who looked as mature and composed as he did. After his rookie season, I don't know what the heck happened. I think he let let his losing preseason battle (a preseason where he looked fantastic) with Kurt Warner destroy his psyche, because he has never been the same. He clearly doesn't have the determination and work ethic to make the most of his gifts.

McG

Reaction score
Because he is slow, weak, and useless. Bring him in as a #3 so he can hold a clipboard and watch players that can actually play.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Vince Young. Unless we get an old guy to mentor RW (colts stole/overpaid hass)