Who is our next QB? 70 million would be useless with no QB?!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't know.

I was a 'Wilson hater' supposedly because I thought:

1 - he would get caught up in the off-field projects and it would impact his on field performance (As he himself told us, the separation is in the preparation. And so if he put less hours into preparing, then his separation would be less too. This seemed to happen)

2 - Carroll would never be a good fit for him because Carroll was too focused on defense and would squander him. Worse, because Carroll was not an offensive coach - he would stymie if not atrophy Wilson's development. This also seemed to happen)

3 - Driving as much of the cap to a QB we underutilized made no sense.

I wanted to trade him to the Jets for a boatload of picks and get Mahomes. But even I wouldn't be stupid enough to pick Carroll over Wilson. At least Wilson has upside.

Not sure it matters much who was pro or anti Wilson, anymore than it matters who was Team Lynch/LOB or Team Wilson.

We have what we have, a team with an aging coach, holes all over, our strength is in the WR group but we have no QB. So we are strong at catching the ball but weak at getting the ball to them to catch. And we have a godawful defense, to go with our increasingly godawful HC. At least we canned the DC, but we could have used those losses.

Still, Russ was a HOF and generational player. He was incredible under pressure and THE most important player in Seattle Seahawk history. Even if I wasn't sure we would use the guy right (and we didn't), it was impossible not to appreciate what we had.
It doesn't really matter now but how was Russ underutilized?
Not used right?
His game was his legs and long arm..Once the legs went what
is left?He can still throw deep but I noticed his arm is becoming
weaker..He never got better at short passes and the middle never
existed for him.I'm glad he's Denver's problem.
I wanted to trade him to the Browns years ago but then we'd have
Kyler-A lesser version of Russ for sure.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think he has more zip on the ball, but less blind faith. QB needs anticipation.

Own The West

Reaction score
Wilson's problem is he rejected the short game and would consistently hold on for the big play. It was great when it happened, but mostly it just caused a bunch of 3-and-outs or sacks.

Those are turnovers that don't show in the stat sheet btw. Expect the same to continue in Denver. It will probably be easier to see for the John63's of the world when it happens on another team.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Well here is an idea of what is it I disagreed with that you want proof for.

This is an easy request, John. Show me a past post where you had a problem with some aspect of Wilson's game, some deficiency. And I'm not talking about general statements like "all QBs have weaknesses." I want to see a past post from you where you admitting and talked about something--anything!--without saying it's somehow Pete's fault, or the OC or the scheme, but rather it's all on Russ.

Anything? Anything at all?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Wilson's problem is he rejected the short game and would consistently hold on for the big play. It was great when it happened, but mostly it just caused a bunch of 3-and-outs or sacks.

Those are turnovers that don't show in the stat sheet btw.
Really, are they? Then I guess those planned runs up the gut, into a wall four times in a row for negligible gain are also turnovers, also not showing up on stat sheet(see New Orleans Saints game for reference).

Or is this really on the coach and offensive coordinator, whose imagination and creativity dried up long ago?

I guess we'll see...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's not about 'the way to go'. Mark Rypien wasn't a great qb either. Neither was Terry Bradshaw. Troy Aikman? He was never 'great' either. Look at his stats. He had an incredible, HoF rb, HOF wr, and HOF o-line and respectable defense.

Eli Manning? He has more rings than his all time great, brother.

Doug Williams caught lightning in a bottle for a few years.

It's about building a whole team because the sum of the parts is greater than any one piece, or leaning on an extraordinary piece to get you there. There are plenty of examples of the former. They aren't anomalies
Peyton and Eli both have two superbowl wins. Peyton did it with two different teams.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm talking about now as well.

Defense and stopping the run still matters, especially in the playoffs. Ask Aaron Rodgers. Dude has a closet full of MVP's and only one Superbowl ring. Why? Because when the crap hits the fan when the games matter and football is boiled down to its base characteristics, it's still all about the same thing.

What happened to Mahomes the last 2 years. Stopped squarely by defenses that threw him off his game. Burrow wasn't great, just good enough.

Last superbowl - neither qb was a phenom. That game was lost by the team that caved on defense.

Defense and running the ball will always be a strategy to win in the league. If that wasn't the case, Aaron Rodgers would be the 7 time champion and not Tom Brady. Doesn't matter if it's 2022 or Dan Marino and John Elway in 1992.

The passing game is a powerful tool, but one that historically ebbs and flows in terms of the success it brings. A team will innovate an approach, find success, defenses adapt and then the pendulum swings back again. It's entirely based on timing and strategy.

Running and defense - they are fundamental to football and are rooted in aggression, physical strength, size, and intimidation.

Has the game changed? Yes. But until it becomes non contact, two hand touch, aggressive rushing and defense will still be it's cornerstone.
I agree with this but more times than not you also need a very good qb to win in the playoffs. Rams had been barely been sniffing a SB without Stafford and Bengals were 2 win team prior to Burrow.

The Bills had the best defense in the league last season. They lost in the divisional playoffs. Titans had a solid defense and a great run game - they didn't make it past the divisional round either.

keasley45

Reaction score
I agree with this but more times than not you also need a very good qb to win in the playoffs. Rams had been barely been sniffing a SB without Stafford and Bengals were 2 win team prior to Burrow.

The Bills had the best defense in the league last season. They lost in the divisional playoffs. Titans had a solid defense and a great run game - they didn't make it past the divisional round either.
Agree, but then the qb that beat the Bills, was stymied by a defense that wasn't 'great' but trumped one of the most dynamic passing attacks in the league.

It goes both ways is the only point I was trying to make. Sure, you need a good qb to win it all. And if a great qb is all world good and has a stacked offense around him, he can overcome his own team's deficiencies elsewhere.

But a solid defense and ball control offense can nullify a great qbs power. Happen's every year.

John63

Reaction score
This is an easy request, John. Show me a past post where you had a problem with some aspect of Wilson's game, some deficiency. And I'm not talking about general statements like "all QBs have weaknesses." I want to see a past post from you where you admitting and talked about something--anything!--without saying it's somehow Pete's fault, or the OC or the scheme, but rather it's all on Russ.

Anything? Anything at all?

John63

Reaction score
Well I will meet you half way. Last year, this past season, Wilson threw the ball to Dk and it was awful and I said in the game day forum that was a bad throw. No you can go find it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well I will meet you half way. Last year, this past season, Wilson threw the ball to Dk and it was awful and I said in the game day forum that was a bad throw. No you can go find it.
Convenient that the game day forum is purged every game, isn't it? Maybe too convenient. Why don't you, in detail, restate your thought here?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Desmond Ridder
I'm there also. Ridder is the one QB in the draft class who best fits the Hawks. Like Russell in 2012, Ridder would have a legit shot to win the starting job Day 1 of his rookie season.

Rainger

Reaction score
Nobody new this year. Lock and Geno. QB next year with the draft capital. They will build back the D and the running game this year and get their QB in a loaded draft next year.

diver110

Reaction score
I would just note that the people running the Broncos are smart and capable. If Wilson was no longer an elite QB, they would not have traded for him. I always wondered if Carroll was too rigid in his approach, coaching to a system rather than to his team’s talents.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score

LOL!

You've had no meaningful discussion about Russell Wilson where you offered meaningful critique of some aspect of his game. One bad throw? Wow, what a concession! And no proof of it, even.

John63

Reaction score
LOL!

You've had no meaningful discussion about Russell Wilson where you offered meaningful critique of some aspect of his game. One bad throw? Wow, what a concession! And no proof of it, even.
Yes, I have That was an example. And I don't have to prove crap to you since you lied about reading every post. In addition, who the hell are you to decide what is or is not as you put it meaningful. Last I checked you're just a supposed fan who seems to enjoy trying to find BS reasons to doubt others. So you want to find them go find them oh wait you read them all and yet you did not even know I said that was a bad throw. You lied your done goodbye.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Yes, I have That was an example. And I don't have to prove crap to you since you lied about reading every post. In addition, who the hell are you to decide what is or is not as you put it meaningful. Last I checked you're just a supposed fan who seems to enjoy trying to find BS reasons to doubt others. So you want to find them go find them oh wait you read them all and yet you did not even know I said that was a bad throw. You lied your done goodbye.

You don't seem to have read the name of the posters who have responded to you. I jumped into a conversation you were having with someone else, and it appears you are mistaking me for that poster.

I never said I've read every post; someone else did. Go back and read this thread if you doubt it. It's all here for you. Maybe your anger prevents you from reading clearly. But then again, reading comprehension appears to be a problem for you consistently.

You have no examples, and have now chosen to double down. No, you have no credibility on this topic, John. I don't look for reasons to doubt others; you just provided a clear reason here.

Latest posts