Welp, Ohtani signed with LA. So long M's

beastalamode

Reaction score
I will never ever go the ballpark, watch them on tv, or buy any of their merchandise until there's new ownership.

NoGain

Reaction score
We were never in the running for Ohtani, and not signing him is not much of a reason for bailing on the M's now. There's all sorts of other good reasons for that.

Chapow

Reaction score
I don't think he would have signed with the M's even if they had offered him the highest contract. He wants to play for a perennial playoff team and legit World Series contender. He wants to win.

If you were in his shoes, and were sick and tired of playing for a mediocre team that never makes the playoffs, would you rather play for the Dodgers or the Mariners (even if the M's offered you a little more)?

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I don't think he would have signed with the M's even if they had offered him the highest contract. He wants to play for a perennial playoff team and legit World Series contender. He wants to win.

If you were in his shoes, and were sick and tired of playing for a mediocre team that never makes the playoffs, would you rather play for the Dodgers or the Mariners (even if the M's offered you a little more)?
That’s why they needed to make an offer he couldn’t refuse.
I would’ve been ok offering a billion dollar deal. The team would make that money + within the first 2 years.
Stadium would’ve been sold out every game and 70% of Washington would be sporting an Ohtani jersey.

And even if the signing didn’t translate into a WS it at the very least would’ve restored some faith.

OP
OP
B

beastalamode

Reaction score
I was ready to spend over $1k on the team next year but I guess they don't want my money. I will never give them money to watch a team that cannot and will not compete for a championship

QWERTY

Reaction score
I was ready to spend over $1k on the team next year but I guess they don't want my money. I will never give them money to watch a team that cannot and will not compete for a championship

Even though you will not go, the Mariners always have many fans attending their games for some odd reason.

stack55

Reaction score
WTF? 700 million for ten years. These guys are out of their minds.
Imagine how expensive those seats are gonna get. There pricing
the middle class out of sports.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
WTF? 700 million for ten years. These guys are out of their minds.
Imagine how expensive those seats are gonna get. There pricing
the middle class out of sports.
Ohtani deferred $680 million so the dodgers can buy more players. Doubt their prices go up more than the M’s…

NoGain

Reaction score
I believe the Dodgers are the third most expensive game day experience for the average fan (ticket, beer, hot dog...) in MLB.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It seems weird that anyone actually expected us to sign him.
The Ms do this all the time. Dangle the possibility of signing some superstar FA - then sign 2-3 nobody FAs instead.
It would actually be insane for someone as good as Ohtani, to leave the Angels and go to the Ms. (You know that is a step down, right?)
No FA worth anything would want to come to the Ms because the Ms only reach the playoffs once or twice in a two decades.
If you come here, you are coming here for a paycheck. Because you won't be winning anything of importance. You may never get a playoff game your entire time here.
Who willingly signs up for that but for those with no other options?

Ohtani had plenty of options. So he was never coming here.

OP
OP
B

beastalamode

Reaction score
Yep. I never once even thought there was a slight chance they get him. Zero chance.
I thought they would at least try to appear like they wanted him. He wanted to come to a west coast team so if they just didn't even try to get him I figured it would send a horrible message. Lol m's, they didn't even care what the optics looked like of not even trying to go after him