Welcome to the spinzone, PRESEASON edition.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It's football time again, even if the first few outings moved at the pace of a stoned tortoise, but damnit it's football. The angst is real, the excitement is palpable among the 12s. It's that time of year, and after a long wait after a disappointing end to the superbowl we are back for a shot at redemption.

Against KC I saw flashes of things that could be. That Wilson to Graham combo is going to be deadly. He didn't get much playing time, but when he was out there he made DB's look like fools. On one catch, there was a DB running with him stride for stride, Wilson threw it up, and Graham still came down with the ball. This is what the offense has been missing since the departure of Golden Tate. Graham is a player that can come down with contested balls, and what he lacks in blocking, he makes up for it in ball skills. Speaking of his blocking skills, we got a good glimpse of why Graham was not asked to block very much in New Orleans. This is OKAY though, blocking is a skill that one can learn. His footwork while blocking was very lacking. He often was in a bad position, or getting manhandled by the defense. This is a bit disconcerting because we relied on Miller to mask the some of the deficiencies in our line. All of our tight ends are lacking something in the blocking department.

Russell Wilson has emphasized staying in the pocket during these two preseason games. This is the next step that he needs to make to become an elite passer in the NFL. That being said, like Graham's blocking there is a lot of work to do, still. For some reason Wilson looks less decisive in the pocket. I saw a lot of double clutching, and hesitation from Wilson. He looks far more comfortable outside of the pocket doing his mad scrambler routine. Wilson's pocket presence is still lacking. A good example of this is a sack that he took in the first game. He decided to camp near Okung, he had room to step up in the pocket and buy himself more time, he did not do so. I notice his ball placement on certain routes is erratic. He overthrew Kearse on third down, and threw well behind Baldwin on another third down. These were easy give me passes. He needs to make these on a consistent basis. I'm interested to see his development given a whole season of work, but it is clear that managing the pocket is something that he's been working on this offseason. This is why he has looked underwhelming in preseason, he's putting himself outside of his comfort zone. Preseason IS the time of year to do just that.

Our line against KC looked markedly improved in pass protection. Wilson, and Archer weren't pressed very often against a very good KC Chiefs defense. There were still some ugly moments, that I saw however. Gilliam, our new RT had awful footwork. He was caught out of position a few times, but luckily he was able to recover every time. Gilliam is a work in progress, and I can see that there will be some growing pains. This is why I feel we need a good blocking tight end on our roster. That being said, his athleticism is very intriguing. He made some brutal mistakes, yet against NFL caliber pass rushers he was able to recover very nicely. If he ever gets all of the fundamentals down we're going to have one of the best RT's in the league in my opinion.

Britt looked better at LG, but I still feel we were lacking. He struggled in the running game and he looked mediocre in the passing game. He wasn't exploited very much in this game, but I feel like that LG position is now a huge liability.

RJ Archer personally has been a surprise for me. People have been calling him another CBJ, but I think that comparison is a bad one. RJ Archer is not a QB that has great physical tools, he relies on a very quick release, and anticipation to get the job done. He reminds me more of a less athletic Alex Smith. Like Alex Smith, his deep ball is bad. He lacks zip on deeper routes, and he puts A LOT of air underneath the ball. It is like the old Hasselbeck rainbow passes, only of course Hasselbeck had better deep accuracy. RJ Archer was absolute money on the shorter passes, and the pass he threaded in between two defenders on third down was excellent anticipation, and accuracy. That pass looked like something one would see from Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, it was a thing of beauty with little margin for error. His pocket presence is probably the best part of his game. He feels when defenders are closing in on him, and he's able to use slight movements in the pocket to buy time. He has a natural feel for when to step up, and he has an extremely quick release. His BIGGEST limitation is his ball placement. There was a few times in the last two games where his ball placement was off. I think RJ Archer has the potential to be a very accurate passer, but he really needs to work on ball placement and chemistry with his receivers. RJ Archer is a QB that relies on timing, and rhythm, if those two things are thrown off then he struggles. He's not too great at winning it, he's a classical pocket passer. If he becomes our backup, the read option will not be viable. Some of the plays Bevell was calling with Archer under center were baffling to say the least. He was calling the game as if Wilson was under center, RJ Archer is not a QB built for that kind of offense. He is a better fit for the classic west coast offense. That being said, I do like his potential, and I hope we keep him around. Most QB's would have a very hard time making that pass to Lockett. CBJ certainly wouldn't have been able to do it.

Christine Michael once again is an enigma. He looked lost on a few plays, like he didn't know what play was being called. I notice him learning into Wilson, and Archer. Then they yelled something at him and pointed to where he needed to be. On the other hand he was clearly the most talented runner of the day. Our line was not doing a great job of running blocking, yet even with all of that penetration he was able to turn a surefire loss into 5 yard gains. As a pure runner, I think he is much better than Turbin, Smith and Rawls. His pass blocking is another area that needs to be mentioned. He has shown great improvement here. He did a great job protecting Wilson's blind side against the first team defense, and he even laid a much bigger defender than himself down on the ground. I think the main reason he is not playing is that he doesn't understand the offense very well, and he looks very sloppy carrying the football.

On defense last weeks hero, Clark looked noticeably slower and less explosive. I think his ankle was bothering him. He didn't have as much burst, and he was pushed around more the little that he did play. Clark did have a nice play, breaking up a pass. I noticed he was close to batting down a few other balls as well. If Clark could do his best JJ SWAT imitation, that would be great.

DeShawn Shead looked FANTASTIC at corner. He was staying with his man, and was not fooled by anything the receivers did. I think he looks better at corner then he did at safety.

Dion Bailey once again had a good game, though I feel like he gives too much of a cushion. I think he needs to tighten up things just a little bit. He almost reminds me of Earl Thomas how he is able to turn on the jets, and come out of nowhere to make a tackle. He's a bit raw, but like Gilliam, he has a lot of potential. He's not going to be Kam Chancellor yet, and I don't think he will ever be as much of a game breaker as Kam, but I do not think he will be a liability, and I think he can player Kam's tweener role quite well.

This is all I have to say about defense for now.

Exittium

Reaction score
Not bad.. Only thing i do t agree with is kearse. Dudes just not reliable period. The ball was fine and he dropped stuff that he and wilson practiced all thentime. Im ready to move on from him. I dont care where hea from i dont care he's a hometown favorite because he comes from here. I just dont, hecl if he was my own brother i would still be saying the same thing. We have better. I think Matthews will be fine, Williams and Smith all three are better than kearse.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Exittium":147tf791 said:
Not bad.. Only thing i do t agree with is kearse. Dudes just not reliable period. The ball was fine and he dropped stuff that he and wilson practiced all thentime. Im ready to move on from him. I dont care where hea from i dont care he's a hometown favorite because he comes from here. I just dont, hecl if he was my own brother i would still be saying the same thing. We have better. I think Matthews will be fine, Williams and Smith all three are better than kearse.
Again, that ball would have been very hard for Kearse to haul in. He had to extend his body all of the way, and only then did it touch the fingertips. It would have been a very hard catch for most receivers to make. Huard even made a mention of that being a poorly thrown ball.

Exittium

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":uok3l3w0 said:
Exittium":uok3l3w0 said:
Again, that ball would have been very hard for Kearse to haul in. He had to extend his body all of the way, and only then did it touch the fingertips. It would have been a very hard catch for most receivers to make. Huard even made a mention of that being a poorly thrown ball.

No offense but You can explain it all you want but half the board is split on those throws. Half feel he could have caught half don't. Half blame wilson, half don't. Half somehow think kearse is good, half don't

Me, I'm a guy who sees Kearse as someone who has more drops than catches. And as a fan its something I'm tired of seeing now. But other than that i lole The rest of what you've said. Thats my 2cents. :th2thumbs:

Ps doing this by phone can be a pita lol

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great write up, Spin. Kearse is like a guy who just hits home runs or strikes out (nothing in between). He has a penchant for the big play but will drop an easy throw. He's had so many passes that hit him in the hands that he's dropped or bounced off into a defender's hands. It's just what he is. Therefore, Lockett and Richardson will be the #2/3 WRs on the team. Then Kearse can be a #4 and in that role I believe he can thrive. He's not a #1 or 2 in this league. I think he may have reached his ceiling.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Excellent points. I don't see Archer being anywhere near as bad as CBJ was. That guy was horrendous and even sucked in preseason.

RJ Archer reminds me a bit of Kellen Moore. Noodle arm, but accurate, sees the opening coming and throws the ball there. Not exactly throwing a player open, but putting the ball where the receiver is going to be, and where only he can catch it.

I was shocked at how well RJ played, I thought this guy was just a camp arm, but he has the smarts, and with TJack being injured, it gives him the opportunity to show what he can do. Now I see why they moved BJ to WR.

And how about Daniels? He's pretty slippery, and once he improves his hands, he's going to be a dynamic receiver. Golden Tate lite.

I think Britt is going to be very good at left guard. He has some punch and for a first start at that position, he showed what he can do. IMHO, Justin's performance against KC is why Seattle didn't sign Mathis.

My biggest concern is with Nowak, but I'm torn. I'm amazed that this is a guy that has never played Center, but disappointed in how he gets turned a lot.

I like that Russell is forcing himself to stay in the pocket. Sure it looks like crap, but it's preseason. This is where players expand their capabilities.

And the above is why this team will "Win Forever." While other teams are practicing their playbooks, and honing their skills, the Seahawks are going outside of their comfort zone and pushing the limits of what they can do.

That was a bad throw by RW and Kearse could not have reached it. My take.

Our DB depth is looking pretty good, but I've been disappointed in Cary Williams. We're paying this guy 6 million per?

Tuba is going to be disruptive. And where the hell did Martin come from? He was all over the place?

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Archer does a nice job in the pocket.

I don't think Kearse could have caught that pass. The one behind Doug was also a poor throw. As long as it doesn't become a trend, I'm not worried about it. Bad throws happen to all QBs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":25kih8y5 said:
Our DB depth is looking pretty good, but I've been disappointed in Cary Williams. We're paying this guy 6 million per?

:34853_doh:

He gave up one pass for 10 yards. What do you expect him to do? Intercept passes that aren't going in his direction?

kearly

Reaction score
Archer has been pretty bad so far IMO. He's basically played 4 quarters already and had one legitimately good looking drive that didn't involve non-stop RB screens.

Outside of one nice drive against KC, Archer has made it about as difficult to evaluate the WRs as the OL has for RBs.

With Tjack reminding us of his durability concerns and our QB depth behind him looking pretty bad, I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle drafts a QB next year. Even a mid-round pick at QB next year wouldn't surprise me.

Even as a fan of BJ Daniels, I don't think he has NFL talent at WR or specials, though I admit that he does 'flash' sometimes. I'd like to see Daniels play with more balance and with better hands.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
kearly":21hhgcjq said:
Archer has been pretty bad. He's basically played 4 quarters already and had one legitimately good looking drive that didn't involve non-stop RB screens. Outside of one nice drive against KC, he's made it about as difficult to evaluate the WRs as the OL has for RBs.

Even as a fan of BJ Daniels, I don't think he has NFL talent at WR or specials, though I admit that he does 'flash' sometimes.

With Tjack reminding us of his durability concerns and our QB depth behind him looking pretty bad, I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle drafts a QB next year. Even a mid-round pick at QB next year wouldn't surprise me.

I agree with you on Archer.

Assuming that Mark Sanchez is the number 2 QB with the Eagles, and they choose to not keep a 3rd QB on the roster - would Matt Barkley be a viable option as a back end roster stash to be back-up QB in 2016?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":w8gv5thl said:
It's football time again, even if the first few outings moved at the pace of a stoned tortoise, but damnit it's football. The angst is real, the excitement is palpable among the 12s. It's that time of year, and after a long wait after a disappointing end to the superbowl we are back for a shot at redemption.

Against KC I saw flashes of things that could be. That Wilson to Graham combo is going to be deadly. He didn't get much playing time, but when he was out there he made DB's look like fools. On one catch, there was a DB running with him stride for stride, Wilson threw it up, and Graham still came down with the ball. This is what the offense has been missing since the departure of Golden Tate. Graham is a player that can come down with contested balls, and what he lacks in blocking, he makes up for it in ball skills. Speaking of his blocking skills, we got a good glimpse of why Graham was not asked to block very much in New Orleans. This is OKAY though, blocking is a skill that one can learn. His footwork while blocking was very lacking. He often was in a bad position, or getting manhandled by the defense. This is a bit disconcerting because we relied on Miller to mask the some of the deficiencies in our line. All of our tight ends are lacking something in the blocking department.

Russell Wilson has emphasized staying in the pocket during these two preseason games. This is the next step that he needs to make to become an elite passer in the NFL. That being said, like Graham's blocking there is a lot of work to do, still. For some reason Wilson looks less decisive in the pocket. I saw a lot of double clutching, and hesitation from Wilson. He looks far more comfortable outside of the pocket doing his mad scrambler routine. Wilson's pocket presence is still lacking. A good example of this is a sack that he took in the first game. He decided to camp near Okung, he had room to step up in the pocket and buy himself more time, he did not do so. I notice his ball placement on certain routes is erratic. He overthrew Kearse on third down, and threw well behind Baldwin on another third down. These were easy give me passes. He needs to make these on a consistent basis. I'm interested to see his development given a whole season of work, but it is clear that managing the pocket is something that he's been working on this offseason. This is why he has looked underwhelming in preseason, he's putting himself outside of his comfort zone. Preseason IS the time of year to do just that.

Our line against KC looked markedly improved in pass protection. Wilson, and Archer weren't pressed very often against a very good KC Chiefs defense. There were still some ugly moments, that I saw however. Gilliam, our new RT had awful footwork. He was caught out of position a few times, but luckily he was able to recover every time. Gilliam is a work in progress, and I can see that there will be some growing pains. This is why I feel we need a good blocking tight end on our roster. That being said, his athleticism is very intriguing. He made some brutal mistakes, yet against NFL caliber pass rushers he was able to recover very nicely. If he ever gets all of the fundamentals down we're going to have one of the best RT's in the league in my opinion.

Britt looked better at LG, but I still feel we were lacking. He struggled in the running game and he looked mediocre in the passing game. He wasn't exploited very much in this game, but I feel like that LG position is now a huge liability.

RJ Archer personally has been a surprise for me. People have been calling him another CBJ, but I think that comparison is a bad one. RJ Archer is not a QB that has great physical tools, he relies on a very quick release, and anticipation to get the job done. He reminds me more of a less athletic Alex Smith. Like Alex Smith, his deep ball is bad. He lacks zip on deeper routes, and he puts A LOT of air underneath the ball. It is like the old Hasselbeck rainbow passes, only of course Hasselbeck had better deep accuracy. RJ Archer was absolute money on the shorter passes, and the pass he threaded in between two defenders on third down was excellent anticipation, and accuracy. That pass looked like something one would see from Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, it was a thing of beauty with little margin for error. His pocket presence is probably the best part of his game. He feels when defenders are closing in on him, and he's able to use slight movements in the pocket to buy time. He has a natural feel for when to step up, and he has an extremely quick release. His BIGGEST limitation is his ball placement. There was a few times in the last two games where his ball placement was off. I think RJ Archer has the potential to be a very accurate passer, but he really needs to work on ball placement and chemistry with his receivers. RJ Archer is a QB that relies on timing, and rhythm, if those two things are thrown off then he struggles. He's not too great at winning it, he's a classical pocket passer. If he becomes our backup, the read option will not be viable. Some of the plays Bevell was calling with Archer under center were baffling to say the least. He was calling the game as if Wilson was under center, RJ Archer is not a QB built for that kind of offense. He is a better fit for the classic west coast offense. That being said, I do like his potential, and I hope we keep him around. Most QB's would have a very hard time making that pass to Lockett. CBJ certainly wouldn't have been able to do it.

Christine Michael once again is an enigma. He looked lost on a few plays, like he didn't know what play was being called. I notice him learning into Wilson, and Archer. Then they yelled something at him and pointed to where he needed to be. On the other hand he was clearly the most talented runner of the day. Our line was not doing a great job of running blocking, yet even with all of that penetration he was able to turn a surefire loss into 5 yard gains. As a pure runner, I think he is much better than Turbin, Smith and Rawls. His pass blocking is another area that needs to be mentioned. He has shown great improvement here. He did a great job protecting Wilson's blind side against the first team defense, and he even laid a much bigger defender than himself down on the ground. I think the main reason he is not playing is that he doesn't understand the offense very well, and he looks very sloppy carrying the football.

On defense last weeks hero, Clark looked noticeably slower and less explosive. I think his ankle was bothering him. He didn't have as much burst, and he was pushed around more the little that he did play. Clark did have a nice play, breaking up a pass. I noticed he was close to batting down a few other balls as well. If Clark could do his best JJ SWAT imitation, that would be great.

DeShawn Shead looked FANTASTIC at corner. He was staying with his man, and was not fooled by anything the receivers did. I think he looks better at corner then he did at safety.

Dion Bailey once again had a good game, though I feel like he gives too much of a cushion. I think he needs to tighten up things just a little bit. He almost reminds me of Earl Thomas how he is able to turn on the jets, and come out of nowhere to make a tackle. He's a bit raw, but like Gilliam, he has a lot of potential. He's not going to be Kam Chancellor yet, and I don't think he will ever be as much of a game breaker as Kam, but I do not think he will be a liability, and I think he can player Kam's tweener role quite well.

This is all I have to say about defense for now.

Agree with most, but not all, so whats new.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":trb0sc14 said:
ivotuk":trb0sc14 said:

:34853_doh:

He gave up one pass for 10 yards. What do you expect him to do? Intercept passes that aren't going in his direction?

So give me your opinion on this guy through the preseason. He was only targeted once? There must be examples you have then of where he made some good plays. Please give me more than :34853_doh: as a way of response. :th2thumbs:

He looked lost out there on the reception close to the goal line. Was nowhere near anyone. Then he turned to the FS and was asking him questions, looking for direction. That did not impress me at all. He's been around the league awhile. What was it that he didn't know or realize? And, he makes almost as much as Kam Chancellor.