Week 2 of Byron Maxwell in Philly

Cyrus12

Reaction score
endzorn":2szz1xkp said:
There is a good chance he will be available this offseason at a bargain price. This could be the best situation for seattle. He hurts Philly and ends up back in Seattle on a defense he excels in.

and ask him to put on some pounds to play SS as Kam will still be sitting on the sofa at home...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
His salary next year is guaranteed and he has a $13M dead money hit. They can't really cut him.

endzorn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":35pe6vsk said:
His salary next year is guaranteed and he has a $13M dead money hit. They can't really cut him.
He's the worst player on the field. If he continues to get torched at this pace then i could see him getting cut at any price.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
endzorn":1gzr8y4e said:
DavidSeven":1gzr8y4e said:
He's the worst player on the field. If he continues to get torched at this pace then i could see him getting cut at any price.

His cap hit rises several million by being cut due to the dead money hit. So, they'd only make things worse for themselves by letting him go.

But this Chip we're talking about, so who knows.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
A lot of soft coverage by Maxwell. I'm guessing a lot of that is on the D-Coordinator and the scheme, but he still has no excuse for getting beat the way he has.

endzorn

Reaction score
DavidSeven":94mgz8oj said:
endzorn":94mgz8oj said:
DavidSeven":94mgz8oj said:

His cap hit rises several million by being cut due to the dead money hit. So, they'd only make things worse for themselves by letting him go.

I understand that. He received a $6.5m roster bonus and a $6m signing bonus. Spotrac says the accelerated hit for releasing him is $13m, but Clayton always says that teams protect themselves with guarantees by making them performance or injury guarantees. He says the only real guarantees are the ones received at signing. What I'm curious about is how much is actually guaranteed to him if they cut him. Is it truly $13m more? Did they expose themselves to a free agent bust? In any case I could see them cutting bait if he continues to just be a glorified blocking dummy out there. Either that or find a defensive coordinator who can implement a cover 3 heavy system and let Maxwell play the press-bail zone he was so good at in Seattle and hope changing the defensive scheme solves their overall issues (spongy softness).

peppersjap

Reaction score
Maxwell is a system player and a very good one, he now is expected to be the guy and he is being exposed. I feel for him a little but then again he is a rich man!

massari

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12gyohy0 said:
endzorn":12gyohy0 said:
DavidSeven":12gyohy0 said:

What if they trade him, to say, the Seahawks? Could the Hawks get him back while only having to pay around half his salary like the Jets did with Harvin?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
It's admittedly kinda funny to see the Hawks and Eagles both overpay to swap CBs. That said, the Eagles DEFINITELY came out worse on the deal, as was to be expected. Overpaying for second tier defensive players from the Hawks is just ludicrous. I'm shocked that people still do it.

(Irvin going to Atanta with Quinn might be an exception to this though, depending on how much dough he gets).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maxwell looks like hot garbage, and it's hilarious to see the golden boy Skip Kelly getting destroyed in Philly right now.

Literally EVERY move he made in the offseason is imploding.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't feel bad for Maxwell at all. He wanted the money and he got it.

Now he has to face the wrath of Philly fans for not being their savior of the secondary.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Simon is going to be better than Maxwell ever was and should supplant Cary pretty soon too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rideaducati":9vjuyggo said:
Simon is going to be better than Maxwell ever was and should supplant Cary pretty soon too.

That'd require Simon to quit being brittle and get his ass on the field.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kn8dx25 said:
rideaducati":2kn8dx25 said:

That'd require Simon to quit being brittle and get his ass on the field.

Yep.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Browner was actually a CB with talent. Maxwell was only competent in our system.

dadof3

Reaction score
Pete is the db whisperer, there's a reason he was a sixth round pick

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
2Cool4School":ago0bc3x said:
Damn maxwell just a gave a TD up. philly is going to trade him or cut him

lol no one is trading for that contract, and cutting him this early would be beyond stupid.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":39rlfjsg said:
2Cool4School":39rlfjsg said:

lol no one is trading for that contract, and cutting him this early would be beyond stupid.

Couldn't a team that trades for him only take about half the salary, like the Jets did with Harvin?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":20t0thy1 said:
Hasselbeck":20t0thy1 said:
2Cool4School":20t0thy1 said:

Couldn't a team that trades for him only take about half the salary, like the Jets did with Harvin?

The Jets had to pick up the rest of Harvin's pro-rated salary for 2014;

the Jets will pick up the remainder of Harvin's contract, which runs through 2018 for a total of $48.6 million. The remaining portion of his 2014 base salary ($7.1 million) is guaranteed, so the Jets are on the hook for that -- but there is no guaranteed money beyond this season. The Jets could cut him without cap implications if it doesn't work out.

So whatever team trades for Maxwell would have to pick up all the guaranteed money on his contract, which is a TON

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia ... n-maxwell/

NFL is not like MLB where teams can divide up salary, once the player's traded it's all pro-rated from time of trade as to who pays what..............and from how Maxwell's playing? No teams gonna trade for that mess.