We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Fade

Reaction score
A-Dog":f8ksc22d said:
Fade":f8ksc22d said:
Could you please link me some film where he is playing 5T with the Texans?

Not gonna spend time digging through YouTube vids. A quick google search:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ney-s-talent-strength-give-Texans-9229769.php

For much of the Chicago game, Crennel used Clowney as a 5-technique over left tackle Charles Leno Jr. (6-3, 305). But Clowney also lined up between Leno and left guard Josh Sitton (6-3, 318). In obvious passing situations, Clowney lined up wide - outside Leno to rush in space.

Here’s another:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2016/12/2/13813408/the-film-room-jadeveon-clowney-has-arrived

Aside from health, one of the things that has changed with Clowney is the primary position he plays. Houston moved him from a stand-up outside linebacker to a right defensive end. His hand is down. He's buried in the trenches as a five technique.

P.S. You can stop fadesplaining defensive fronts to me, thx

I have been digging the internet looking for consistent 5T film looks of him. I will check those games. Every picture in that 2nd link had Clowney either in 7T, (both shoulders well outside the OT) or 8T (Lined up over the TE.) Or Wide 9. He had 1 play only in the 5T. I am disappointed.

I wish I had the time, but it would be cool for someone to break down his entire 2018 film and chart him.

Anyways, the more I watch of him, I would like to see him play the Leo on base downs, because that is what he truly is best at, and then kick him inside to 3 technique on Nickel to go against Guards. With Ziggy and Clowney on the same side.

PS: It's not about you, it's about people on this board in general throwing around 5T willy-nilly when they are simply referring to DE instead. Kind of like calling a WR a Flanker, when he plays mostly in the slot, it's annoying. Just like Clowney who will be playing Leo, but I guarantee some idiot is going to call him a 5T because they brought in Ziggy and kicked Clowney over to the opposite end on a pass rushing down.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seymour":3qcyzcut said:
UK_Seahawk":3qcyzcut said:
Seymour":3qcyzcut said:
This is a really bad trade and one that will once again bite us in the ass!!!

Pete and John have lost their minds. :pukeface:
Considering your nickname you seem surprisingly short sighted.

Exact opposite. You are excited for all of 1 years play the way it stands now. I'm looking to the future and learned from from Richardson deal that 1 year rentals blow up in your face if you fail in the post season.

Richardson was being influenced by MB, both of whom were not doing their job, but instead were free lancing. Which is why both were cut loose.

Apple's and Oranges.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Fade":2j4pwb2o said:
Wenhawk":2j4pwb2o said:
This makes us a top 5 defense.

I really liked Frank Clark and he was damn good. I am confident Clowney is a better fit for this defense and will contribute to this defense becoming something fearsome again.

The Seahawks have never had a guy set the edge in the run game like Clowney, he is unbelievable, and it will come in handy against the Rams & Niners who are adept at wide zone runs.

Pass Rushing is the question, he is still ascending in this area, so he could finally pop and have a monster sack year finally, but even if he comes up with only 8 sacks, he was still worth it.

Clowney puts the Seahawks over the top for the division, and they have a real shot now at making a deep playoff run.
I so agree with this! I especially love the fact that he wanted to come here. So glad we didn't lose an offensive lineman in the trade. I was excited about Martin's potential but this was a great trade. When Reed comes back and is paired with Poona, this front 7 is going to be impressive. If Ansah is healthy this might be a very bad year for QB's playing the Hawks!

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Clowney's only weakness is availability and getting lost in a numbers game when it comes to double/triple teams. When he's healthy, he's one of the best there is, even if the numbers haven't been as dominant as you'd expect for someone so good. But trust me, from the times I've seen him play on the edge, he's an absolute monster. This isn't just a replacement of Clark, it's an upgrade. Should Clowney finally play a full season as an edge rusher, this will be the most insulting steal of the season.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
SuperMan28":3moqajrp said:
McGruff":3moqajrp said:
SuperMan28":3moqajrp said:
After the Frank Clark trade, SEA's DL was looking rather pedestrian. Ziggy and Clowney are a very interesting tandem on paper. Looks like the edges are well set for the SEA DL. That 6 game suspension on reed is obviously a huge blow to the interior though.

Yeah this move was prompted by sellers remorse.

We hoped the young guys would step up. They didn't.

It was a move we had to make.

Looks like all the Hawks really gave up was a third, though. That's stunning.

It appears the biggest weakness on the Hawks D is CB with DT coming in at a close second (until Reed gets back.) Hawks gonna have to make some magic happen. This move helps.

Yes. I'd say the Hawks definately got better and are moving in the right direction. The NFC doesn't appear to have any one overly dominant team and the Hawks are always a tough out at home. Things are looking up.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
IMHO, the only way this doesn't pay off is if Clowney gets some sort of career ending injury. That wouldn't make it a bad trade, it just wouldn't pay off.

Even if he goes on IR, at some point, it can still pay off next year. He would have to sign a reasonable prove it type contract, and there would be little reason for him to sign it elsewhere.

Realistically, the only thing we are giving up for this guy is some cap space (we have plenty), a LB that had promise, and trading a 2020 3rd rounder for a 2021 3rd or a player of equal or better value.

uncle fester

Reaction score
It seems O’Brien really wanted rid of Clowney - to the point of paying $7M him to go...

Per PFT
As part of the Seahawks-Texans trade, Clowney’s pay this season won’t be the usual $15.967 million base salary that comes with the franchise tender. Instead, it will be a $7 million signing bonus paid by the Texans, followed by an $8 million base salary paid by the Seahawks.

Link

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -2019-pay/

$8M for Jadeveon Clowney. Wasn’t Barkevious on about $4M this season?

What is this world coming to...?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Even if we can’t resign we get the third back as a comp pick. We were going to cut Mingo so really just Martin for one year Clowney with the possibility he resigns and we get more.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":2yw7bug6 said:
Clowney wanted to come here, held out to come here, players that come here tend to really want to stay.

Unlike Richardson who wanted nothing more then get paid, Harvin who wanted to be showcased and get paid, Graham who wanted to also get paid this move was pushed by Clowney to get out of Texas and up here. He may still want a fair paycheck but we have heard nothing like the other three as far as what and how they feel respected and want to be the top paid guy.
One thing tha worries me is that Clowney sounds a bit like Graham in one respect. Graham wanted to be paid like a WR at a time when top WRs were getting much more than TEs. New Orleans wouldn't do that and franchised him as a TE. The league backed their play.

Clowney was tagged as a Linebacker, which is a lower rate than top drawer DEs. That's why his franchise tender is lower than Clark's was. It's not necessarily about talent or skill, it's about a quirk in the rules where the team gets to assign a player as one position, regardless if he is able to play others.

Graham was largely used by NO as a WR, but labeled him a TE. Clowney was designated an OLB in a 3-4 system, though he played various positions along the D-line as well. Here, he will be in a 4-3 system (modified), so next year it'll be interesting how the contract negotiating goes. And if we do franchise him, it'll probably be at the higher DE rate, not the OLB rate.

The gamesmanship is not just on the field. :twisted:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
So we basically got him for 8 mill and a potential of getting our pick back. Mingo was getting cut anyway and maybe Martin becomes a player in the league. I can live with that. Seattle apparently promised not to franchise him.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":at4z5yhf said:
Clowney's only weakness is availability and getting lost in a numbers game when it comes to double/triple teams. When he's healthy, he's one of the best there is, even if the numbers haven't been as dominant as you'd expect for someone so good. But trust me, from the times I've seen him play on the edge, he's an absolute monster. This isn't just a replacement of Clark, it's an upgrade. Should Clowney finally play a full season as an edge rusher, this will be the most insulting steal of the season.

My God, with our linebackers, lets hope this happens.

massari

Reaction score
uncle fester":3jt73kn7 said:
It seems O’Brien really wanted rid of Clowney - to the point of paying $7M him to go...

Per PFT
As part of the Seahawks-Texans trade, Clowney’s pay this season won’t be the usual $15.967 million base salary that comes with the franchise tender. Instead, it will be a $7 million signing bonus paid by the Texans, followed by an $8 million base salary paid by the Seahawks.

Link

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -2019-pay/

$8M for Jadeveon Clowney. Wasn’t Barkevious on about $4M this season?

What is this world coming to...?
Tired of all this winning yet, fellas?
Giphy

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
So to recap, JS trades a 3rd and 2 players, saving $4m and the texans pay $7m so we get clowney for effectively $5m and if he leaves we get the 3rd back.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We’d get the 3rd back in 2021 if he left and was paid big bucks, and the team qualified for compensatory picks.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Anajimmc":3ai5ukrh said:
5_Golden_Rings":3ai5ukrh said:

My God, with our linebackers, lets hope this happens.

Clowney has played in 13, 14, 16, and 15 games the past 4 seasons. While that's for sure not "ironman", it seems about average for a dl. How big of a concern should this be?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Adam Schefter confirmed Texans are paying 7Mil of the 15Mil.

But...he also confirmed the Hawks agreed not will not tag him.

We have a ton of cap space. We resigned Avril and MB after their one year prove it contracts so I can see the Hawks sign him to a big contract.

getnasty

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1nllui10 said:
Adam Schefter confirmed Texans are paying 7Mil of the 15Mil.

But...he also confirmed the Hawks agreed not will not tag him.

We have a ton of cap space. We resigned Avril and MB after their one year prove it contracts so I can see the Hawks sign him to a big contract.

This deal can't get any better. You have to feel for the Texans right now and i can't figure out why nobody came with a better offer. Bill O'Brien is off his rocker. I'm almost starting to feel like something is wrong, this is to good to be true.

kf3339

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3g9i87p2 said:
So to recap, JS trades a 3rd and 2 players, saving $4m and the texans pay $7m so we get clowney for effectively $5m and if he leaves we get the 3rd back.

Actually, I think it is a net of only $4M this year for Clowney. His salary of $8M minus the salary's of Mingo and Martin at about $4M......net about $4M for this season. Yes, we were probably cutting Mingo but still...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

HawkGA

Reaction score
I want to hear audio recordings from the trade calls.

JS: Oh, and another thing, we want you to pay all of Clowney's salary this season.

Texans: No way, we won't go any higher than paying $7 million of his salary.

JS: You drive a hard bargain, Texans. Deal!