We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

TwilightError

Reaction score
McGruff":t2ll1z24 said:
A-Dog":t2ll1z24 said:
1. Fantastic trade, value-wise, but losing Martin stings. He was limited due to size but the Hawks are (still) lacking in pure speed and bend off the edge. They must be pretty confident in Ansah’s health.

2. In terms of re-signing Clowney next year, one overlooked plus is that re-signing your own players doesn’t count towards the comp pick formula, so even though he’ll be expensive, signing him wouldn’t come with the comp pick penalty that signing another free agent DE would.

3. Hear a lot of complaining about losing Clark, but Clowney is levels above Clark as a player and my personal opinion is that Clark was NOT the leader and “great guy” that people want to paint him as. Clowney is an upgrade across the board.

Agree with the first two, but totally disagree with every part of the last point.

Frank Clark is better than Good as an NFL caliber pass rusher. But Jadeveon Clowney is a complete freak physical specimen, who is built to play football.

My only concern is that he does take a lot of penalties. If he can tone that down and stay productive, there is no pass rusher with more ready-for-day-one-potential than him in the world. Or edge setting run stopper.

Jville

Reaction score
A quote from yesterday's published Bobby Wagner interview ..................

No matter what people want to believe this is always going to be a defensive team. It’s always defense first, it’s just the way we do it. We run the ball, we play defense. That’s not going to change. --- Bobby Wagner

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1167824551071408129[/tweet]

(on phone someone is welcome to fix if needed.)

But this tweet pretty much sums it up.

:D

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":1d2335es said:
For a 3rd!

That is unbelievable to me.

Houston needs to fire Bill O'Brien, he just got fleeced.

I don't know that he had a lot of leverage. Sounds like Miami made an okay offer and Clowney said no way. What do you do then? I think they got a good one in Martin. Hopefully he blossoms for them.

Honestly it reminds me of a major league baseball trade where teams trade a star for prospects (except Mingo, no idea how he fits in with that).

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fade":ajvw8yi2 said:
knownone":ajvw8yi2 said:
Clowney will change people's perception of him when they see him play. I honestly think he'll be a better player in this system than Frank. A lot of people are penciling Clowney in at LEO, but he's also an ideal fit at SAM in the Bruce Irvin role. With everyone healthy, this is the best front 7 we've had since 2013 with arguably the higher ceiling in terms of top in talent.

We're one of the most talented teams in the league now. Lets hope we put it all together on the field because this is a 11-14 win team on paper.

They are not playing him at Sam.

He will start at Leo, and Ziggy will come in on pass rushing downs to keep him healthy.
Could also see him in a Bennett role... 5T on mixed downs opposite Ansah, moving inside on passing downs

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":2akktx9f said:
knownone":2akktx9f said:
Clowney will change people's perception of him when they see him play. I honestly think he'll be a better player in this system than Frank. A lot of people are penciling Clowney in at LEO, but he's also an ideal fit at SAM in the Bruce Irvin role. With everyone healthy, this is the best front 7 we've had since 2013 with arguably the higher ceiling in terms of top in talent.

We're one of the most talented teams in the league now. Lets hope we put it all together on the field because this is a 11-14 win team on paper.

He will start at Leo, and Ziggy will come in on pass rushing downs to keep him healthy.

So Ziggy and Clowney won't be on the field at the same time? I would find that hard to believe.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Once Reed is back and assuming Ansah stays healthy and Kendriks isnt jailed that's scary front 7.

John63

Reaction score
Okay lets look at Clark vs Clowney

Clark 4 years, 62 games
137 total tackles, 36 total sacks. Avg 35 tackles, and 9 sacks per year, 2.2 tackles per game, .6 sacks per game

Clowney 5 years (only 4 yearso f real play as first year 4 games) 62 games

205 total tackles, 29 sacks, avg 41 tackles, and 6 sacks per year, 3.3 tackles per game, .5 sacks per game 2 straight years of 9+ sacks

So these stats are really close, Everything I read shows Clowney is better against the run than Clark and Clark is slightly better on sacks. Also, Clowney has more batted passes which given he is 2 inches taller makes sense.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Cyrus12":323i7n2i said:
TwilightError":323i7n2i said:
So, should John Schneider´s statue be as tall as the Space Needle or taller?
Jimmy Graham...Percy Harvin....

Those trades were not nearly the disasters some of you pretend that they were

Thunderkyss

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1eihq2hf said:
Houston fans are totally losing their sh!t. Rightfully so.

Yes we are.

I don't think that much of Clowney. I didn't want us to pay him Mack/Donald money. But I didn't want to give him away either.

It seems like a lopsided trade. What do you guys think of trading for a franchise tagged player you can't negotiate with until next season? I'm sure if you make a good playoff run he'll resign for something closer to his true worth.

Anyway, congratulations. With Clowney you're closer to true contender than not.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":tw8b5ayg said:
Fade":tw8b5ayg said:
knownone":tw8b5ayg said:

So Ziggy and Clowney won't be on the field at the same time? I would find that hard to believe.

We will see Clowney and Collier on run downs.

Ansaha and Clowney on passing downs.

Ansah and Collier will get peppered in there too.

Collier and Clowney can both play inside at 3 tech too, so we could often see Ansah, Clowney and Collier as well.

Jville

Reaction score
Unpredictability is disruptive to blocking calls They have the man power to rotate a variety of disruptive rush schemes. This is gonna be a great show!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cmikesspinmove/status/1167634014686986240[/tweet]

theseahawkguy

Reaction score
Now if we can add Clinton mc donald on the vet min (wishful thinking) as depth with ford and reed returning after suspension that be nice as well

SuperMan28

Reaction score
After the Frank Clark trade, SEA's DL was looking rather pedestrian. Ziggy and Clowney are a very interesting tandem on paper. Looks like the edges are well set for the SEA DL. That 6 game suspension on reed is obviously a huge blow to the interior though.

McGruff

Reaction score
SuperMan28":3cy4wkkl said:
After the Frank Clark trade, SEA's DL was looking rather pedestrian. Ziggy and Clowney are a very interesting tandem on paper. Looks like the edges are well set for the SEA DL. That 6 game suspension on reed is obviously a huge blow to the interior though.

Yeah this move was prompted by sellers remorse.

We hoped the young guys would step up. They didn't.

It was a move we had to make.

xray

Reaction score
He may not have the big sack numbers but he is a disruptive havoc wreaking force every down he plays . He will really help take some pressure off the secondary .

DJrmb

Reaction score
Excellent trade. It was perfect because it kind of just came to us rather than us being desperate and overpaying like we did with Sheldon Richardson.

Something else that's really cool is that this makes it clear Seattle is still seen as a desirable destination for NFL players. Clowney reportedly said he wanted to be traded here (or to philly) and applied his leverage to come here. It's a good sign that we still have that reputation.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
This is not the best trade in Seahawks history. Best trade in Seahawks history was Rick Mirer to Chicago for a first round pick. However, this looks like a close second. :irishdrinkers:

So, does this make us a legit Superb Owl contender? On the radio home (while driving last night) I was listening to a lazy-analysis type on ESPN radio talking about how we can't contend because we lost Earl and Doug. However, we had Earl for a couple games before he broke his leg (so we basically didn't have him last year either) and Doug was never 100% yet we still were in the playoffs with a new OC and a new O-line coach.

Latest posts