We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

McGruff

Reaction score
timmat":9zs5qlpf said:
Great for us certainly, but I don’t think we really stole him or anything like that. Teams just aren’t willing to offer much for 1yr rental players. The incentive for the Hawks was higher because he said he wanted to play here, thus increasing chances of resigning after the season. But I’d bet there weren’t many options out there for Texans.

The interesting thing for next offseason is do the Hawks even want to pay $20 plus million for a D lineman who’s never had double digit sacks? Obviously D lineman can dominate in ways other than sacks, but that price range is usually reserved for the pass rush monsters.

Time will tell, but for now, this is so sweet and just another reason to get excited about the season.

And another nod to our organization and fans for making this team a desired destination for players of this caliber.

Assuming health, I bet clowney exceeds double digits.

43 end is a much better fit for him.

Fade

Reaction score
Mingo has to be 1 of them.

I would rather KJ be the other, to offset Clowney's massive cap charge.

But if I were Houston I would want Martin, so it probably is him.

I like how the Seahawks did it for a 3rd!

McGruff

Reaction score
Fade":p6tgxdf3 said:
Mingo has to be 1 of them.

I would rather KJ be the other, to offset Clowney's massive cap charge.

But if I were Houston I would want Martin, so it probably is him.

I like how the Seahawks did it for a 3rd!
Mingo and martin

TwilightError

Reaction score
So, should John Schneider´s statue be as tall as the Space Needle or taller?

A-Dog

Reaction score
1. Fantastic trade, value-wise, but losing Martin stings. He was limited due to size but the Hawks are (still) lacking in pure speed and bend off the edge. They must be pretty confident in Ansah’s health.

2. In terms of re-signing Clowney next year, one overlooked plus is that re-signing your own players doesn’t count towards the comp pick formula, so even though he’ll be expensive, signing him wouldn’t come with the comp pick penalty that signing another free agent DE would.

3. Hear a lot of complaining about losing Clark, but Clowney is levels above Clark as a player and my personal opinion is that Clark was NOT the leader and “great guy” that people want to paint him as. Clowney is an upgrade across the board.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Just hoping he stays healthy. I think we needed drastic help in the secondary but perhaps we make a move with some of cuts that may occur.

mikeak

Reaction score
Considering that we either resign Clowney or get a third round back next year (if we don't screw it up / he sucks)

Then this trade is Martin for Clowney

We were going to cut Mingo. So in my mind the real cost is one player AND $16MM salary under the tag.

The money is the biggest deal to me. This is cap money that would have rolled over.

Totally worth it though. Reed made us desperate, but upside is second half of season is looking pretty good

flmmkrz

Reaction score
JS is the best gm in football bar none. What a steal if reports are true. Not every move works out as hoped but you can never fault him for not trying to make this team better any time he can

McGruff

Reaction score
A-Dog":6xa8vm1d said:
1. Fantastic trade, value-wise, but losing Martin stings. He was limited due to size but the Hawks are (still) lacking in pure speed and bend off the edge. They must be pretty confident in Ansah’s health.

2. In terms of re-signing Clowney next year, one overlooked plus is that re-signing your own players doesn’t count towards the comp pick formula, so even though he’ll be expensive, signing him wouldn’t come with the comp pick penalty that signing another free agent DE would.

3. Hear a lot of complaining about losing Clark, but Clowney is levels above Clark as a player and my personal opinion is that Clark was NOT the leader and “great guy” that people want to paint him as. Clowney is an upgrade across the board.

Agree with the first two, but totally disagree with every part of the last point.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The fact that Graham was horribly mismanaged by the coaching staff is no ding on the fact that it was a great deal by Schneider.

It just didn't work out during to bone headed coaching.

I'm really glad we kept our o line intact. I want to see what they look like in year 2 under Solari

Ruminator

Reaction score
This got me wondering -- when was the last time Seahawks acquired a player who was a number one pick in the draft?

themunn

Reaction score
Excited to see a defensive line of Clowney, Reed, Collier & Ansah together later this season. Add Poona Ford in there and I think our D-Line might just be better than in 13/14 (though that depends somewhat on how Collier pans out)

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I like this deal if Clowney can stay healthy and if we can sign him for a reasonable amount next year. Otherwise...

Fade

Reaction score
For a 3rd!

That is unbelievable to me.

Houston needs to fire Bill O'Brien, he just got fleeced.

knownone

Reaction score
Clowney will change people's perception of him when they see him play. I honestly think he'll be a better player in this system than Frank. A lot of people are penciling Clowney in at LEO, but he's also an ideal fit at SAM in the Bruce Irvin role. With everyone healthy, this is the best front 7 we've had since 2013 with arguably the higher ceiling in terms of top in talent.

We're one of the most talented teams in the league now. Lets hope we put it all together on the field because this is a 11-14 win team on paper.

Fade

Reaction score
knownone":38gehi5w said:
Clowney will change people's perception of him when they see him play. I honestly think he'll be a better player in this system than Frank. A lot of people are penciling Clowney in at LEO, but he's also an ideal fit at SAM in the Bruce Irvin role. With everyone healthy, this is the best front 7 we've had since 2013 with arguably the higher ceiling in terms of top in talent.

We're one of the most talented teams in the league now. Lets hope we put it all together on the field because this is a 11-14 win team on paper.

They are not playing him at Sam.

He will start at Leo, and Ziggy will come in on pass rushing downs to keep him healthy.