Wagz

Hawk4life

Reaction score

Why? I get trading Russ but I still can't understand cutting Wagz. Cap space obviously wasn't an issue. This is why our defense sucked and we didn't stand a chance against the 9ers.

None of us expected playoffs this year but imagine if we still had Bobby as the defensive captain.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't get it either. He's exactly who we needed to be mentoring all the rookies.

chrispy

Reaction score
If BWagz was a Seahawk for the 2022 season, the D would have been better, unquestionably. There is a bright side though. The 23 season would probably see the ILB disaster that we saw this year if he'd stayed. I, personally, think the expectations were low for 22 and coupling that with the reality of needing to let BWagz go at some point soon, the decision was made: sooner-rather-than-later.

To me, the disappointment of him being gone in 22 will be replaced by relief in 23 when the ILB position is upgraded. Addressing the DL, inside and out, OG/C, Safety and QB would have been minimized going into the 23 season with JBrooks and CBarton replacing BWagz and KJ next year. Now we know...and we probably wouldn't have known otherwise. That doesn't undo a game or 2 that he may have altered, but it's something positive to take away.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Because he admitted he blew the phone call off and admitted knowing what it was potentially going to be about after being asked about it enough times and after he pointed to seattle trying to make them look like it was 100% thier fault when it was more 50/50 both JS/PC & BWags fault for both failing to communicate properly

Nunya

Reaction score
BW took up 10% of our cap @ $17 million in 2021 and a dead cap of over $20 million....and the second highest paid player on our roster at the time. I don't think anybody wanted to see BW leave the Seahawks, including the FO and coaches. Unfortunately the team became too top heavy in cap space where 3-4 players were taking up to 40% of the salary.

balakoth

Reaction score

Why? I get trading Russ but I still can't understand cutting Wagz. Cap space obviously wasn't an issue. This is why our defense sucked and we didn't stand a chance against the 9ers.

None of us expected playoffs this year but imagine if we still had Bobby as the defensive captain.
Cap space was exactly the issue??

QWERTY

Reaction score

You want to know why Wagner was named 2nd team all pro?

He got players around him that are like Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyd. Or basically pass rush, so he can do his job. With Seattle's DL its a mess.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks have to worry about cap space. Somehow the rams seem to not have to worry about cap space,

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Seahawks were about $1.5 million under the cap in 2022 Wags was set to be a $20 million cap hit it was a business decision that had to be done granted it could have been communicated to the player better

StoneCold

Reaction score
You want to know why Wagner was named 2nd team all pro?

He got players around him that are like Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyd. Or basically pass rush, so he can do his job. With Seattle's DL its a mess.
I was wondering how much better our LB's would be with a couple of DL's that can create havoc on run and pass plays. Next year with the draft and free agency it will be interesting to see what they put together.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I was wondering how much better our LB's would be with a couple of DL's that can create havoc on run and pass plays. Next year with the draft and free agency it will be interesting to see what they put together.
The Seahawks organization don't go heavy during FA. They look for cheap guys all the time.

You can't expect to find guys like Chris Clemons, Michael Benett, Cliff Avril who will sign for a cheap 5mill year contract .

StoneCold

Reaction score
The Seahawks organization don't go heavy during FA. They look for cheap guys all the time.

You can't expect to find guys like Chris Clemons, Michael Benett, Cliff Avril who will sign for a cheap 5mill year contract .
True and I don't expect it, but it is the only other source of players other than the draft and UDFA's.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Bobby was gone when he decided to be his own agent.

Every good team in the NFL is built through the draft with zero exceptions. The few that do make the playoffs despite signing a lot of FAs are like Jacksonville this season (Engram, Scherff, Kirk, Williams, Oluokon) who had extra money to spend because the rest of the team was built through the draft and playing on rookie contracts.

We addressed some key weaknesses on offense last draft, and this draft we have the capital to address some key defensive holes. As long as we continue to get back to building through the draft there is good reason for optimism.

nsport

Reaction score
Wagner should have been gone at least a year earlier. While the locker room presence and the many years of quality play was all amazing, he was getting beaten on the regular the last couple years he was with us. On top of that, he had hardly any TFL's, sacks, FF's, or an other impact plays. Leading the lead in tackles was admirable, but so many were meaningless when they're 8-10 yds downfield or made after a first down was made. Granted, this year's LB play was awful consistently throughout the season, and it seems like LA got a better version - but clearly Wagner did not really help that defense much, if any. We need to thank Wagner for his time - that's it.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I believe there is no doubt the defense would have been better with Bobby. Because if anyone here wants to suggest that Brooks and Barton are better than Brooks and Wagner, go for it, I could use a good laugh.
-- Letting Geno walk, not drafting D with the first two picks, etc, none of that will truly depress me. Planning to have Barton start anywhere other than FB next year, would just be an awful choice. His whole season was summed up on Saturday, when not only did he take a terrible angle on Samuel's crossing route, but blew up Woolen as well. He just has zero feel for coverage. Painful to watch.

Mase

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
-- I believe there is no doubt the defense would have been better with Bobby. Because if anyone here wants to suggest that Brooks and Barton are better than Brooks and Wagner, go for it, I could use a good laugh.
-- Letting Geno walk, not drafting D with the first two picks, etc, none of that will truly depress me. Planning to have Barton start anywhere other than FB next year, would just be an awful choice. His whole season was summed up on Saturday, when not only did he take a terrible angle on Samuel's crossing route, but blew up Woolen as well. He just has zero feel for coverage. Painful to watch.

Mase
So, you noticed his god awful interference on Woolen’s play too. Barton is pure garbage and should be a backup or STs only at best.