Wagner returns to Seattle (1 year/$7 million)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
None of the younglings were quite ready to step up and take the lead last year. This gives them a year to learn their craft, under the guidance of one of the greatest "quarterback of the defense" minds in the NFL.

In this defense, the younglings' physicality can make up for the step that Bobby has lost, while they can lean on Bobby's mind to learn the craft.

I think it's a great move. Thr NFCW is a 2-horse race now, assuming we don't completely screw up the draft.

Fade

Reaction score
They've learned nothing.

Stop gaps and rentals? I thought they were rebuilding the defense? They are not a 30+ yr old LBer away.

If his name wasn't Bobby Wagner, same skill set, everyone would be pissed right now.

I give the signing a "D," if it weren't Bobby, who can obviously add from a leadership standpoint, I'd give it an "F."

I'd rather have Penny for $1.5M + $5.5M in rollover.

The vast majority of resources continue to go to the defense, only for them to crap the bed season after season with no long term building blocks.

I'd expect a massive turnaround on defense with all but 1 of the FA additions being on defense. And what I anticipate, most of the draft capital going to the defense in April. But sadly, it's going to be the same ol' same. Flushing more assets, and the toilet is already clogged.

flv2

Reaction score
Bobby also took a cut walking away from the Rams. They would have owed him 10mill if he stayed there.
Officially it was a mutual decision to part ways, but if it wasn't mutual the Rams would have cut him. $10M + $2M in incentives was too much in 2022 and far too much for 2023.

chris98251

Reaction score
This broadens the player selection in the draft for sure, really not a lot of ILB that can match what Bobby has in the draft this year from what I have read, we may grab a guy to skill up some, most the guys with few exceptions are really light or slow or have worse than average coverage and recognition skills.

Plus we are in need of Dline, WR, RB, and a Guard and Center. With Bobby we get a known commodity that like Geno can be a transitional player till next years draft also where picks may be better at his position.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Glad that Bobby is back and I'm anxiously waiting for the move that P&J have to make to afford him.

Someone unexpected needs to be cut or restructured to afford Bobby's $7M (or whatever his actual cap hit will be).

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yay! He’s back!

now go Get 2 lb’s, 2 rb’s in the draft - being back fluker and Bruce - and we’re set!

I do not care about wr3. let Waldron call his offense and we don’t need one….

Mix

Reaction score
They've learned nothing.

Stop gaps and rentals? I thought they were rebuilding the defense? They are not a 30+ yr old LBer away.

If his name wasn't Bobby Wagner, same skill set, everyone would be pissed right now.

I give the signing a "D," if it weren't Bobby, who can obviously add from a leadership standpoint, I'd give it an "F."

The vast majority of resources continue to go to the defense, only for them to crap the bed season after season with no long term building blocks.

I'd expect a massive turnaround on defense with all but 1 of the FA additions being on defense. And what I anticipate, most of the draft capital going to the defense in April. But sadly, it's going to be the same ol' same. Flushing more assets, and the toilet is already clogged.
You should apply for the GM job, or seek a meeting with these hot takes.

Wagner makes us better as a team, isn't that the goal?
I am always on board with 140 tackle 6 sack 2 INT washed up LBs.

You do know it is a 1 year deal right?

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Diggs said in an interview last week, he wants Bobby back. He wants Bobby to wear that C on his jersey, as it was stressful for him last year being captain.

Fade

Reaction score

1yr $7M. Eats up their cap, they are not in a position to make such a luxury signing. Now they have to look at restructuring a guy to fit him in. Which will hurt them down the road, potentially.

You're confusing Wagner in '22 with the Rams. Look at Wagner in '21 on the Seahawks, but 2 years older and slower now.

Wagner only makes them better negligibly. Off ball Lbers can only have so much impact.

1 yr deal = patchwork. What they've been doing for years, and is what has put them in this position, along with burning most of their 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rd picks on defense the last 8 years, only to come up snake eyes. Can't wait 'til April.

toffee

Reaction score
They've learned nothing.

A few thoughts:
  1. There aren't a lot, if any offers for Bobby's service, there's no report that he is taking a hometown discount for the Hawks.
  2. Our Bobby replacement project has failed, miserably. If the project was a success, Barton's new contract might cost the same as Bobby's if not more.
  3. We signed Bobby with money we don't have until we restructure some contracts or trade/cut someone.
  4. Bobby thus fill a hole that we desperately needed to fill, but it's a hole we created.
  5. This draft is weak in LB in general and ILB in particular, we may not to reach to draft Jack Campbell out of need, and he may be the high floor low ceiling type?
I am having mixed feelings on the signing.

toffee

Reaction score

I disagree with @Fade more often than not, and enjoyed teasing his points. But the forum would be more fun if we all debate the other person's message instead of firing at the messenger. Don't you think?

strohmin

Reaction score
They've learned nothing.

I think this year has been the best start to an offseason they have had since they started. I'm actually excited for this years team already.

Fade

Reaction score
I think this year has been the best start to an offseason they have had since they started. I'm actually excited for this years team already.
I'd love for you to elaborate on this.

2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 (Draft Aside) were all far superior.

Last year - 2022, will go down in history as being better as well, because they went offensive heavy with their early draft picks for a change, Avoided flushing early picks on defense as they usually do. And they finally hit on a Free Agent in Nwosu took 'em 10 years. (Avril & Bennett 2013)

This is a very 2016-2019 esque off-season, so far. Short term deals for the defense, draft defensive heavy, only for most if not all these picks to be disappointing as they fail to develop, or become massive whiffs from the jump. That's the history, anyway.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Id laugh if it came out, not that it has to, or if it really matters, that some players collectively took enough cuts to fit Bobby into the cap. Because even releasing Woods, Seahawks had their backs against the salary wall and this money didn’t just magically appear without someone sacrificing.

And I’m sure if adding Bobby meant having to release Adams, its still net positive in terms of gaining a player that has been consistently available, that can also figure into the pass-rush if we are valuing recent performance, that can set the tone as a hitter, that can lead and inspire off and on the field, that is better suited to solve run defense issues despite the fact they’ve lost a step in coverage.

For all Adams is when healthy, I think Bobby is the safer bet. Bobby can contribute to any scheme without being a focal point, he makes his teammates better but I think with Adams, he more or less, is scheme dependent and you have to kind of cater to his strengths and weaknesses and that always doesn’t make his teammates better around him and probably puts more strain on the defense to cover up the weaknesses.

TL:DR Adams is the type of player you have to scheme around to be successful. Bobby is just successful.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The 1 year 7 mil contract might be incentive laden with a lower guarantee. Might not hurt the cap that much.

Without Bobby, what would be the plan at LB? Roll with Brooks, coming off a bad ACL and not expected to be ready for the season opener? Draft LBs in a class that isn't deep at LB?

If they had to give up draft capital like they did with the Richardson and Clowney rentals, then it might not be good. As is, it's a good pick-up. Bobby is still a stout run defender with ability to diagnose plays. Just need guys upfront who can keep him clean.

If anything, I hope Pete and John has nightmares about Josh Jacobs running roughshod over the defense... 229 yards and 74 receiving yards in one game!

They need to do everything they can to prevent that from happening again.

Fade

Reaction score
A few thoughts:
  1. There aren't a lot, if any offers for Bobby's service, there's no report that he is taking a hometown discount for the Hawks.
  2. Our Bobby replacement project has failed, miserably. If the project was a success, Barton's new contract might cost the same as Bobby's if not more.
  3. We signed Bobby with money we don't have until we restructure some contracts or trade/cut someone.
  4. Bobby thus fill a hole that we desperately needed to fill, but it's a hole we created.
  5. This draft is weak in LB in general and ILB in particular, we may not to reach to draft Jack Campbell out of need, and he may be the high floor low ceiling type?
I am having mixed feelings on the signing.

1. $7M?! This move only makes sense if you think you're contenders and he is the missing piece to put you over the top as a 1 yr rental.

2. They failed? What else is new. Pete has struggled mightily to put together a defense post LOB for coming up on a decade. Despite heavy resource allocation consistenlty going to the defense off-season after off-season.

3. Now they will have to restructure some other under performer to fit Bobby in. Costing Seattle cap space now, and in the future.

4. Fills a hole, but only for a year. They need long term building blocks, not stopgaps. Due to how poorly constructed and built they've been for years. The chickens came home to roost a long time ago. Now is not the time for shortcuts, bust sustainable solutions.

5. This draft is excellent in the 3rd and 4th rounds for Off ball LBers. The position just isn't valued very much anymore in the league, so their isn't a lot of hype for guys in the media. Off ball LBer is the RB version on defense.

toffee

Reaction score
5. This draft is excellent in the 3rd and 4th rounds for Off ball LBers. The position just isn't valued very much anymore in the league, so their isn't a lot of hype for guys in the media. Off ball LBer is the RB version on defense.
Names?

Mix

Reaction score
1yr $7M. Eats up their cap, they are not in a position to make such a luxury signing. Now they have to look at restructuring a guy to fit him in. Which will hurt them down the road, potentially.

You're confusing Wagner in '22 with the Rams. Look at Wagner in '21 on the Seahawks, but 2 years older and slower now.

Wagner only makes them better negligibly. Off ball Lbers can only have so much impact.

1 yr deal = patchwork. What they've been doing for years, and is what has put them in this position, along with burning most of their 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rd picks on defense the last 8 years, only to come up snake eyes. Can't wait 'til April.
I am pretty sure the cap is for putting a roster together each season. I would rather have a competitive team then cap space that isn't used.

They are obviously in a position to make a luxury signing as they made one.

Teams routinely rework contracts, we have reworked many before.

I am not confusing anything. Are you telling me Wagner had a down year for a LB last season?

Do you judge players based on how they played 2 years ago over the way they played last season?

How much slower is Wagner now? Do you have numbers to back up this claim? Are you saying that his 140 tackles, 6 sacks, and 2 Ints were due to his lack of speed?

Do you think that maybe our Run defense took a hit with the loss of a player like Wagner, so they resigned him to bolster the run defense while also giving more draft flexibility?

You could call a 1 year contract "patchwork" I call it a player at a position of need that can help develop a future player that we will most certainly draft.

Every team that ends up in the playoffs have 1 year deals, it's kinda common occurrence with teams in the NFL.

If off ball LBs have only so much impact explain why we kept him for all these years as he racked up HOF numbers, and accolades.

I also cannot wait til April.