US Mens Soccer

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Pulisic is a prime example of why young players need to take their chances at big clubs in Europe.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":y4qyv4of said:
Pulisic is a prime example of why young players need to take their chances at big clubs in Europe.

Seriously if you are 15 and have a pretty good idea that you might be really good at soccer you need to hit up one of the academies in Europe.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not necessarily what I meant. Pulisic benefitted from a father who played and coached in Europe. But there are a number of 17-20 year olds sitting in the seats behind the current roster who should be looking at the difference in Pulisic as developed by Dortmund (and even Wood) and the rest of the roster. It’s worth the risk if you’re really that ambitious .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ftm4bki said:
Not necessarily what I meant. Pulisic benefitted from a father who played and coached in Europe. But there are a number of 17-20 year olds sitting in the seats behind the current roster who should be looking at the difference in Pulisic as developed by Dortmund (and even Wood) and the rest of the roster. It’s worth the risk if you’re really that ambitious .

I mostly agree, but I also see the benefit of super young players like Yedlin and Morris getting their feet wet in MLS for a couple years before going overseas.

Pulisic is not only mature beyond his years, but his technical skills are unparalleled from a US player at that age. But for some they might need that year or two of not only learning the pro game, but getting to play full time, as opposed to being on the bench, or practice team of Euro clubs.

It's not a new trend, most of the great US players (Altidore, Dempsey, Howard, etc) played a couple years of MLS before having success overseas. IMO Pulisic is the exception, not the rule................NOW. Hopefully that rule changes as more and more extremely mature, talented and polished US players come up through the youth systems.

CarlosK

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, Uncle Si. MLS is getting better and better, but Europe is still lightyears ahead.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17y1kaz4 said:
Uncle Si":17y1kaz4 said:

I mostly agree, but I also see the benefit of super young players like Yedlin and Morris getting their feet wet in MLS for a couple years before going overseas.

Pulisic is not only mature beyond his years, but his technical skills are unparalleled from a US player at that age. But for some they might need that year or two of not only learning the pro game, but getting to play full time, as opposed to being on the bench, or practice team of Euro clubs.

It's not a new trend, most of the great US players (Altidore, Dempsey, Howard, etc) played a couple years of MLS before having success overseas. IMO Pulisic is the exception, not the rule................NOW. Hopefully that rule changes as more and more extremely mature, talented and polished US players come up through the youth systems.

Everything that you are saying about Pulisic was developed at Dortmund. That's the exception. The difference between the way he plays and an Altidore is not born, but taught. Altidore only knows one purpose, while Pulisic is used to playing with a striker like Aubemayang or Dembele, who know so much more. Dempsey was a self taught tactician, but his movement and understanding of the game from a tactical standpoint was never quite at what Pulisic already sees. Dempsey and Donovan could string together 1-2s and race into the box for a finish or on the dribble. Pulisic is so much more. That goal that Altidore scored from Pulisic's pass is a perfect example. All he had to do was stick a foot in. Pulisic pulled that defense apart with his movements wide, then waited for Altidore to see the lane (he was waiting at the 12 for a cross for what seemed like a minute). Brilliant and incisive pass, tap in. These are goals Dortmund score all the time.

again, this is developed with the teams they play for. The players in the MLS are not learning more than the game in that league requires (and it's a hard watch these days). Off ball movement is stagnated by aggressively direct tactics and poor technical skills. its more apparent in watching those MLS players with a kid like Pulisic. We hail him here as the "best" at this or that in US Soccer (maybe ever) and yet many of the nations in Europe have multitudes of players like him in how they approach the game.

If you're 17-20 and on the short list of the USMNT, now is the time to try and find the path that Pulisic has already laid down.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3oxn6tzl said:
Everything that you are saying about Pulisic was developed at Dortmund..

Not his mental toughness and maturity...........and that's really what it boils down to with a young phenom type player.

Like I said, Pulisic is wise and mature WELL beyond his years. Would Yedlin have been that mature and ready to compete with the world class players of a big Euro club? Dempsey? Altidore? Hell, those guys still act immature.

That's my only point. Depends on the maturity level, because in the end that's a a major factor as to whether a player can handle the insane stress and expectations of being in a pressure cooker like the Euro leagues.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
US is now eliminated. Big disappointment. I guess now the Sounders don't have to worry about Dempsey and Morris missing any time for USMNT.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
LMAO! This team is a joke. No heart, no tactics, they deserve to stay home next summer. The only joy I can take from this it this will mean we totally blow up the USMNT. #DavidWagner4USMNT

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The funniest part is, it was a Sounder that eliminated the US. Roman will probably get booed at their next game.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2nld3fsq said:
The funniest part is, it was a Sounder that eliminated the US. Roman will probably get booed at their next game.

Lol give me a break. He won’t be booed for making a great play for his country

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":198jap8n said:
SeatownJay":198jap8n said:

Relax, I was being facetious.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3256n911 said:
therealjohncarlson":3256n911 said:
SeatownJay":3256n911 said:

I’m on edge ok? For me World Cup is most exciting sporting event minus a Hawks super bowl

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ozdc4nav said:
Uncle Si":ozdc4nav said:
Everything that you are saying about Pulisic was developed at Dortmund..

Not his mental toughness and maturity...........and that's really what it boils down to with a young phenom type player.

Like I said, Pulisic is wise and mature WELL beyond his years. Would Yedlin have been that mature and ready to compete with the world class players of a big Euro club? Dempsey? Altidore? Hell, those guys still act immature.

That's my only point. Depends on the maturity level, because in the end that's a a major factor as to whether a player can handle the insane stress and expectations of being in a pressure cooker like the Euro leagues.

Toughness and maturity is taught. It’s absurd to think it’s not. This team was just knocked out of the Workd cup because it’s full of players who were never taught how to challenge themselves to the degree their best players.

Let’s hipe this the final nail in that antiquated notion that a mediocre league enabling mediocre, listless and soft willed players will still lead to Workd cups.

The whole thing needs a change. Saying it on here for years.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I'm more shocked than devastated. I didn't think it would ever get to this point given just how easy it is to qualify in concacaf, but the program has been tracking in this direction for years.

It's really crappy to miss a world cup, but I'm not gonna miss watching this crap sandwich. Michael Bradley, Altidore, Howard, etc. just a bunch of soft has beens who haven't been challenged for years. Michael Bradley is horrible and for whatever reason is completely shielded from criticism. I love clint but he has no business on an international pitch anymore.

Crappy brand of soccer, started under klinsmann, worsened under arena.

Just awful

Josea16

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2hla6v9e said:
SeatownJay":2hla6v9e said:
therealjohncarlson":2hla6v9e said:
SeatownJay":2hla6v9e said:

I’m on edge ok? For me World Cup is most exciting sporting event minus a Hawks super bowl
Seriously? That can't be true. Soccer at high levels is worse then the NFL. It's literally scripted like wrestling. This result is EXACTLY what is needed. I'm sorry for Pulisik or whatever but we need to still lose for another 4 years so heads roll and we get to the level we should be which is top 12.

This is a nation with the most youth players in the world. Follow me? Something better change quick because there's no excuse and it's ridiculous simple as that. Also Arians sucks dick like a professional whore.

T@T seriously?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Si, where do you stand on the pay to play academy system? Personally I think it's one of the biggest reasons the US is failing and should be gotten rid of since it artificially decreases the potential player pool.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":23jj3vcp said:
Si, where do you stand on the pay to play academy system? Personally I think it's one of the biggest reasons the US is failing and should be gotten rid of since it artificially decreases the potential player pool.

Agree. It’s an indictment that the richest not the best are given more opportunities. However, The DA as a whole us fractured. There are just too many of them competing for players and money that the focus turns to winning at a young age instead of development.

Oddly, the MLS academies will help that as their sponsorships will reduce the costs for high level players. But unfortunately they will be driving their players to a league that doesn’t adequately prepare players for high level soccer.

The best thing here is twofold: promote young American coaches (get ready for my cover lettr) to high positions across the nation. Make licenses more accessible. Partner with big Euro clubs to help develop the players and coaches while accepting that the interchange of that will involve American kids going to these clubs.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
What about making it easier for the DAs, especially those run by MLS clubs, to sell young players abroad?

And on another note, here are two quotes from Bruce Arena last night that absolutely show he has no place in the USMNT or USSF going forward. "There is nothing wrong with what we're doing." and "Nothing needs to change."

Latest posts