Trade DK?

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe, and only maybe, if trading DK is what gets us over the hump on a real franchise QB candidate in the draft, but I don't see the opportunity for that in this draft with the top 3 likely being unattainable due to how the draft order shook out.
That's a good point. DK wouldn't get us into that top three, and the three QBs that make up the next tier, we shouldn't have a problem getting one of them if we really want to.

As a Buckeye homer, I'd be happy to move up for MHJ too, but it wouldn't make sense for a team to trade for DK if they could get MHJ on a rookie deal.

SweepSanFran

Reaction score
Trading DK is a ridiculous idea. We have other needs at this moment and he is a proven commodity. if we drafted another WR there is no guarantee we hit on that pick. Granted I would like to see DK tone down some of the antics on the field and not cost us yardage in keys situations, but you cant deny his play. The guy is a beast and love his physical play. I think RG gets the best out of him and JSN and our offense starts to really produce. I also think Bobo becomes a key WR3 and we started a lot more chunk plays. Would love TL stay but don't know if we can keep him. I think under RG he makes our RB1 & 2 more effective and our WR1 & 2 top tandems in the league.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Absolutely I was never on board with the Metcalf signing he is a bone head that is overrated and undisciplined, trading him does nothing for the salary cap it would be to move in a different direction

I would take a 1st if it was before the 20th pick. IMO WR is the least valuable position especially in this years draft

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
If there's a QB they want to target in the 1st round then I would do it. Only because the 2025 QB class is ass, and passing on a QB this year would essentially mean it would be the Geno show here in Seattle for at least the next two years.

NoGain

Reaction score
DK is our only big ticket traceable veteran player which is sadness in itself, pointing to poor drafting.
This. What veteran on the team besides DK could you expect to get anything resembling a draft haul from trading them? That's the biggest reason the trading of DK even enters my mind as a possibility worth entertaining. But you'd have to get a nice draft package and have something in mind to really upgrade the team. I don't know if that's a reasonable possibility. At one time I entertained the idea of trading DK, but only as a means to move up in the draft to get a potential QBOTF. But that idea went to the wayside when we won a few too many games this year to put together a package to move up and get one of the top three QB's, it seems to me.

sutz

Reaction score
IMO, you don't trade away your best offensive weapon in a season when you're trying to do a massive reclamation of the defense. In 23 we were able to score with about half the league. Improve the D and we win a couple of more games.

flv2

Reaction score
Trading DK doesn't create much cap room. There would be 23m dead cap with 1.5m cap savings.
True, but there's $23M in dead cap regardless, and $11.5M of that is being accounted for this year anyway. In reality it just accounts for the other $11.5M 1 year earlier. Trading Metcalf would be about value rather than cap space. Getting fair value, (or better), for Metcalf is a difficult proposition.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
True, but there's $23M in dead cap regardless, and $11.5M of that is being accounted for this year anyway. In reality it just accounts for the other $11.5M 1 year earlier. Trading Metcalf would be about value rather than cap space. Getting fair value, (or better), for Metcalf is a difficult proposition.
So...basically restating what I said; for what purpose? Just to be argumentative? What if you read the post I was responding to (which was about creating cap space, not value)?

If DK is traded, he counts $23m against the cap while not playing for the team. If he is on the roster he counts $24.5m against the cap. Trading nets $1.5m in cap savings, and when you figure in the cap hit of a replacement the cap savings are even less. Thus my comment to the poster who was talking about creating cap space with, "Trading DK doesn't create much cap room. There would be 23m dead cap with 1.5m cap savings."

Also, I was responding to a comment about trading DK to create cap space. If you read the thread, you'll note that I commented on value in the previous post.

Again, what is the purpose of arguing when you are essentially restating what I said but just saying it in a slightly different way? I don't get posts like yours. It's insane to me that someone would argue against a factual statement.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I disagree. He is young, an elite talent, and only going to get better as he gets more seasoning, more mature, and improved coaching.

You trade a guy like DK for lotto picks, you just end up hoping that you can get someone that good with the compensation (unlikely). Learn from the Titans/AJ Brown decision.

Throughout his career he has been the one guy on the team to show up in the playoffs and play with any want-to. A foundational piece from a talent and fire perspective. Sometimes great receivers play on teams going through down years (Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp) , doesn't mean that you trade them, as you'll be happy that you have them the next time the team is in the mix again.

GemCity

Reaction score
Most of the other fan bases look at DK like he’s a monster….

Underutilized. I think MM is smart enough to change that up…this season.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I'll put it to you like this: It depends on how soon MM thinks he can make this a Superbowl caliber team.

If it takes ~3+ years, then definitely yes trade now and use that capital to draft cornerstones of the future SB team in the trenches.
If he thinks he can do it in less than 3 years? Don't do it.

It makes absolutely NO sense to keep Metcalf if they're doing a rebuild.

Latest posts