Tom Brady says there’s a lot of mediocrity in NFL play

ccla

Reaction score

he’s kinda not wrong? Offensive scoring is down. Elite AFC teams are playing mediocre(Bills and Bengals).
Yeah, because teams are not cheating? Just kidding of course, but I do not consider high scoring a sign of great football. I know I probably am in s minority here , but give me a 6-3 slugfest everyday over a 52-49 scoring bonanza. That’s basketball, not football. I consider the defensive player the true brainiac on the field (well perhaps excluding the QB): he has to be athletic, know how to read an offense and react to something that he cannot plan. Think about it (and I know I am simplifying and there are exceptions), but an offensive player has to do 1 thing (except the QB), block his player(s), run his route, and so on. The defensive player has to read the QB, and change on the spot what he does based on what the QB decides to do. Now, I know that this is an oversimplification as I have already stated, but give me a slugfest ANYDAY!!

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

he’s kinda not wrong? Offensive scoring is down. Elite AFC teams are playing mediocre(Bills and Bengals).
Wow. I rolled my eyes on this one going in - but he makes some points - and some points that some around here have made since the LOB made the NFL neuter the D side of the ball!

""I look at a lot of players like Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison and Ronnie Lott and guys that impacted the game in a certain way -- and every hit they would have made would have been a penalty," Brady said. "You hear coaches complaining about their own player being tackled and not necessarily -- why don't they talk to their player about how to protect himself? ... We used to work on the fundamentals of those things all the time. Now they're trying to be regulated all the time."

I do think of this when I look at our draft picks - Spoon aside, of course ;)

""So as they get delivered to the NFL, they may be athletic, but they don't have much of the skills developed to be a professional. When I played at Michigan, I essentially played at a college program that was very similar to a pro environment. When I see these different players come in, they're not quite as prepared as they were, and I think the game has shown that over the last 12 to 13 years. I think things have slipped a little bit.""

I hate Brady. But he has a point. And, I think it's hilarious that the 'performance metric' for how well the NFL is 'doing' is the average scoring.

cymatica

Reaction score
Also seems like tackling and injuries took a turn for the worse when they changed the rules for practice and camp.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I’m hijacking this thread, kinda off topic.
I’d like to see guys like Marshawn Lynch become part owners of a NFL team and hear their input on the NFL as well.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Don't need to worry about those hard hits, it'll be flag football soon enough.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
""I look at a lot of players like Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison and Ronnie Lott and guys that impacted the game in a certain way -- and every hit they would have made would have been a penalty," Brady said. "You hear coaches complaining about their own player being tackled and not necessarily -- why don't they talk to their player about how to protect himself? ... We used to work on the fundamentals of those things all the time. Now they're trying to be regulated all the time."

Hypocrisy, thy name is Tom. This is the guy who cried for a penalty every time a defender got within two feet of him. And the refs were all too willing to oblige, especially in crucial game-swinging situations.

And let's not forget that one of the reasons it's so hard for a defensive player to make any kind of QB tackle without getting a penalty these days is because the NFL changed the rules because Brady got injured early in the 2008 season.

Weadoption

Reaction score
the game had to evolve the rules to protect brains and reduce injuries, that’s just risk management 101 for the core assets of their business empire.
that has affected practice big time.
Brady’s career speaks for itself, he can say whatever he wants and has earned that right in utter domination and glory.
He probably misses the game and feels like he’s got to bitch about that on some level, I ain’t got no issues with the schemes Shanny runnin or level of play.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Don't need to worry about those hard hits, it'll be flag football soon enough.
Right?!

And that's when I'm gonna tune out. My money is still on the fragmented flag system. My money further says that the QB position will be the first to be 'flagged'.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Hypocrisy, thy name is Tom. This is the guy who cried for a penalty every time a defender got within two feet of him. And the refs were all too willing to oblige, especially in crucial game-swinging situations.

And let's not forget that one of the reasons it's so hard for a defensive player to make any kind of QB tackle without getting a penalty these days is because the NFL changed the rules because Brady got injured early in the 2008 season.

Excellent points.

Jville

Reaction score

You might find the following interesting ..........................

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Brady, isn’t wrong.

But a lot of it isn’t because players are bad or mediocre, a lot of it is cause the NFL, wants a “certain product” on the field.

The rules alot of the times will dictate what end results you get and if you aren’t careful when you make so many rule changes, the eventual product is going to look different.

2023 NFL football looks entirely different from 2013 NFL football…and so on and so on.

There are problems at every level of this game, not, just a diminished talent pool of players….

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I think there may be some truth and the cause may be because the league as a whole is in a lot of transition right now. There's been a lot of changes to rules, gameplay, "normal" crowds and facility regulations since the height of pandemic, new QBs making their mark, etc.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
High scoring games are a sign of mediocre defenses.

The perfect game would be a score that ended in 20-20 tie at the end of regulation and before overtime.

cymatica

Reaction score
I would like to ask Brady what he would do to improve our offense as a coach with the pieces we got

Xxx

Reaction score

Right, and who are the veteran QBs,

P mahomes
Lamar
Dak
Kirk cousins
Aaron rogers
That’s not pretty