The REAL last play of SB49. Play 'what if' with me.

Hawk&Awe

Reaction score
Good evening gents (and ladies),

I promise not to bring up the interception. It's been beaten and beaten again....then again......yup, one more time. But not this time.

I'd like to focus on the REAL last play of the Super Bowl and I'd like to see if anyone wants to play 'what if'?

After the play, the Pats get the ball back on the 1 or so. From what I can see, Brady has no room to kneel down.

So "What If"?

What if Bennett doesn't jump offsides? What do you see happening?

Obviously can't kneel. They take the safety and punt the ball away and give the Hawks the ball back probably around mid field, down by two with a time out. Or do they try it?

Say Brady attempts a sneak? Does he risk a fumble and Hawks recovery for game over? Does he risk not getting out of the end zone and taking the safety eating up a few precious seconds? Does he roll out, throw it away multiple times to eat up more time?

Try a running play? Risk not getting out and safety or fumble?

So again, I'd like to hear from all you fine folks about how you think the Pats would have played it?

It's crazy to think about, but while I was so mind blown about the pick, I still had a touch of hope that the Hawks might either get the safety and get the ball back or turn it over. I wasn't completely resigned to the loss until the offsides penalty.

What do you think?

OP
OP
H

Hawk&Awe

Reaction score
My sincerest apologies. I haven't been around these forums in some time. I suppose I should have searched for the previous topics. We can let the post die a natural death, or the Mod's are welcome to delete if they wish.

Carry on.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawk&Awe":20ewm821 said:
My sincerest apologies. I haven't been around these forums in some time. I suppose I should have searched for the previous topics. We can let the post die a natural death, or the Mod's are welcome to delete if they wish.

Carry on.

No, it's my bad, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything, it's not my place to.

Rocket

Reaction score
Bobblehead":25db9p4z said:
What if Baldwin doesn't poop?
I have it on good authority that Baldwin rarely poops for at least two days prior to a game.
Why do ya think he's so freakin' ANGRY... it's constipation.

Decimation

Reaction score
Good question. No idea how things would've looked if Bennett didn't jump offsides. Would've definitely been interesting how things could've played out.

Either way they're the champs and earned that title fair and square. Just happy a new season of football is coming soon!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If was obviously a very close loss. There are about a thousand things you could say "what if" about . . .

Marshawn not getting the ball at the one-yard line.

Lockette being Wilson's first read instead of a stronger receiver like Baldwin, Matthews, Willson, Helfet, Kearse, or pretty much anyone else on the roster.

Cliff Avril suffering a concussion that severely limited our pass rush, as Brady was looking like crud with Avril barreling down on him.

Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor all playing hurt.

Lane suffering a freak injury on his INT return.

Burley not being added to the game day roster.

Etc., etc., etc.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Rocket":1w333u8h said:
Bobblehead":1w333u8h said:
What if Baldwin doesn't poop?
I have it on good authority that Baldwin rarely poops for at least two days prior to a game.
Why do ya think he's so freakin' ANGRY... it's constipation.

I'm gonna call bull on this one. Ever try to run laterally with your morning glory crowning? That's a one way ticket to needing a new set of underpants.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Kudos to you for having the courage. I haven't watched the NFL network since the SB.

Attachments

• IMG_20150710_114422.jpg
    IMG_20150710_114422.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 633

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3maufmwr said:
If was obviously a very close loss. There are about a thousand things you could say "what if" about . . .

Marshawn not getting the ball at the one-yard line.

Lockette being Wilson's first read instead of a stronger receiver like Baldwin, Matthews, Willson, Helfet, Kearse, or pretty much anyone else on the roster.

Cliff Avril suffering a concussion that severely limited our pass rush, as Brady was looking like crud with Avril barreling down on him.

Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor all playing hurt.

Lane suffering a freak injury on his INT return.

Burley not being added to the game day roster.

Etc., etc., etc.

You forgot G-d wanting to test RW.

chris98251

Reaction score
As Nadine Cross said in the Stand, we can do a lot of things, that one little thing isn't such a big deal or something close.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2khd94by said:
What if they don't give up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter?
Not too many around here want to take the blame off of RW for how the last play went down, so that angle hasn't seen much, (if any) discussion, but you are absolutely right SFHawk, it DID have a bunch of sway on how the game got away from another Seahawks Championship.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Avril, a defensive end, sustained a concussion late in the third quarter and did not return. With Avril out, Brady threw two touchdowns, and completed 13 of 15 passes for 116 yards in the fourth quarter to rally the Patriots from a 10-point deficit to win, 28-24.

The memory still stings, Avril said recently in Hawkinsville, Georgia.

“It was real disappointing,” he said. “All of us are competitors; all of us want to be out there to help our team win in any kind of way. For me not to be able to finish one of the biggest games you’ll ever play in, it sucked.”

Short term, the injury hurt the Seahawks’ chances to win back-to-back Super Bowls. But the larger, and longer term, physical issue of having a concussion was too great of a risk for him to keep playing, Avril said.

“I’m glad the docs decided to not put me back in,” Avril said. “Concussions aren’t anything to play with.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/07/0 ... rylink=cpy

The Patriots exacted a lot of damage on those two INTs: the helmet to helmet on Avril, causing his concussion, and Lane's broken arm and ACL tear during his INT.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/563017479463903236[/tweet]