The official airing of the grievances thread

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It just wasn't our year. Every season has 1 happy team and 31 pissed off ones.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to your opponent. The Falcons were overlooked all week on here by most posters. They're not the same soft team that couldn't win big games, they're a very formidable opponent and will be for the next several seasons.

I fully expect this offseason to be our most aggressive since.. Ironically the last time we lost in Atlanta in the playoffs.

All this window closing talk and if Bevell isn't fired then Pete can go too talk is hilarious though. Injuries ruined this season, but we're still a very talented team that is only a few pieces away from getting right back to the top of the league.

IrishNW

Reaction score
The ridiculous witch hunt of Tom Cable on these forums (I have only heard praises from former and current players about cable)

Bevel's lack of creativity and not creating match ups (I want to see creatvity and a offense that attacks a defense's weaknesses)

Wilson's inconsistent QB play (A offense starts with the QB and Wilson never gets any blame EVER)

Pete's fault of being to loyal to coaches and or players (cut the bad fruit off the tree, some players and coaches need to go)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
First thing I'll say is that save for Bennett and Avril all of the Seahawks' talent is either right in their prime (27-29) or yet to enter it, and those two guys still have good years left.

The second thing I'd say is that playing in the NFCW because the the talent they have assembled and unless the wheels completely fall off the Seahawks are basically guaranteed a playoff spot for the next two seasons minimum regardless of how poorly they play.

That said, if I were a Hawks fan there's three things I'd be looking for, although I wouldn't have my hopes up too much for them as they all require PC to adjust and he strikes me as more hedgehog than fox (really good at the one thing he's good at, but can't adjust from it. See here for the reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hed ... nd_the_Fox ).

1) PC needs to shade a little bit more over to a disciplinarian from the "everything goes" players coach. The Seahawks are seriously the least disciplined team on and off the field I've seen in awhile. From screaming matches on the sidelines to chewing out and threatening reporters to taking cheap shots on opposing players when things get down there's simply a lack of disciplinary leadership at the top, and the team pays for it with undisciplined penalties week in and week out. Some Hawks fans choose to blame the refs for all the Hawks' penalties, but the team is just incredibly undisciplined: false starts, offsides, blocks in the back, holding are different symptoms for the same basic condition that allows for sideline screaming matches and general disorganization. Unmitigated players coaches are great when teams are winning, but when things go south with them they go south very quickly and it can just descend into chaos ( for strong disciplinarians when things go south it results in mediocrity as everyone just tunes the coach out while still going about their business without creating chaos).

2) The Hawks need to adjust their draft strategy from a high risk/reward athletic ability based strategy to a more risk averse football skills based strategy. The Hawks don't need stars. They need to restock some positions with average and above average starters and role players. They should be stockpiling picks in rounds 3-5, not giving up tons up draft capital to get one guy like Lockett, or burning first round picks on super athletes who have never been particularly good at football like Ifedi. This isn't a knock on Lockett, but all of the picks they gave up for him could have been used to solidify line and secondary depth instead. As the Hawks just saw good returner play can be found on the street, and when you dump multiple picks into one player and that guy gets injured it's all for naught.

3) The Hawks need to figure or if they're going to try to be multiple on offense and defense and change what they do from week to week as based on their opponents weaknesses, or just focus on their strengths and force teams to beat them at what they're good at. They used to do the former but as the talent his thinned out they now try do some of the latter but without giving up the former, and blending the two just doesn't work. TBH I think they're way too undisciplined of a team to be multiple (like the Patriots) and just need to focus on being dominate at what they do.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Kris Richard needs to be replaced. He can win when he has superior talent. Great. Take that away and he's feckless. Zero creativity or innovative adjustments. That stack coverage against the first Julio TD was simply atrocious.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
If we draft a tackle in the early rounds and kick him inside to guard I'll lose my marbles.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1j0d28kn said:
mbtitleist":1j0d28kn said:
Smelly McUgly":1j0d28kn said:
I mean, the NFL itself was barely watchable this year, yeah. It is concerning to me that I enjoy EPL and MLS games way more at this point.

I feel you. NFL is probably #3 for me behind MLB and F1.

As for grievances, most of them have already been mentioned here.

Formula 1?!? - it's been unwatchable for years now. Mercedes is too dominant

It's funny, I actually had more typed out about how sad it is that I'd still rather watch F1 considering how predictable the races are but decided that I wouldn't bore most of the people who have no idea what I'm talking about. But yes, I would rather watch an F1 race. A few times this fall I actually recorded some of the Seahawks games just so I could watch the recorded F1 race from earlier that morning.

HawkEye

Reaction score
"Fans" who think anything less than a lombardi is a bust. :34853_doh:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkEye":1itb4n4x said:
Are "fans" who don't have a clue.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe the current offensive philosophy is flawed and needs to be re-focused to moving the chains rather than banking on explosive plays. It's like a basketball team that lives and dies by the 3pt shot. When you make them, it's awesome but once you miss...it's dire straits. In the end the commonality is they are both high risk and low percentage successes. The team had a moving the chains balance with Lynch in the past years. He was able to help move the chains. They lost that. They need to rethink their strategy. They have plenty of move the chain types on the team. We saw them utilize them on that first drive yesterday. They just didn't sustain that the rest of the way.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkEye":gi5st9cg said:

If you look at the composition of game outcomes from this season, it's hard not to call this season a bust as an opinion on how entertaining this season was relative to past seasons. You enjoyed both the away games at LA and Tampa?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Finishing in the top 1/4 of the league is never a bust. Winning a division title is never a bust. Reaching double figures in wins is never a bust.

Granted those are my standards. But I'm sure a few others around here would agree.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3sg0sfgt said:
HawkEye":3sg0sfgt said:

Am I missing something here? Are we the Cleveland Browns? Rams? Are we in rebuilding mode? What is the ultimate goal of this team? Why don't you ask the Seahawks players if they think they had a successful season. I am guessing their reaction will be similar to 90% of Seahawks fans. The season was a failure.

2013 - 13 - 3 NFC WEST WINNING % .656 Superbowl Champion
2014 - 12 - 4 NFC WEST WINNING % .578 Superbowl runner up
2015 - 10 - 6 NFC WEST WINNING % .547 one playoff win
2016 - 10 - 5- 1 NFC WEST WINNING % .371 one playoff win

Do either of you guys notice a trend? At what point do you want a change?

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
In the words of Derek Jeter, if you don't win a championship, then what's the point?

But anybody see how positive and excited Russell is on Instagram a day after losing?

Josea16

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ybjk6orw said:
Finishing in the top 1/4 of the league is never a bust. Winning a division title is never a bust. Reaching double figures in wins is never a bust.

Granted those are my standards. But I'm sure a few others around here would agree.
Nice standard if it's 1999-2008. But things change as do standards especially when a team strikes gold and acquires a franchise level quarterback. But that's just me. YMMV

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
storm74":3bx15h5g said:
Siouxhawk":3bx15h5g said:
HawkEye":3bx15h5g said:

Am I missing something here? Are we the Cleveland Browns? Rams? Are we in rebuilding mode? What is the ultimate goal of this team? Why don't you ask the Seahawks players if they think they had a successful season. I am guessing their reaction will be similar to 90% of Seahawks fans. The season was a failure.

Double digit wins 5 years in a row and 5 straight trips to the divisional round of the playoffs. And oh yes, 2 Super Bowl appearances in the last 4 years, one resulting in a championship. And you are labeling that a failure?

Of course the players have one mission. Every player in the league seeks that outcome. That's what makes winning hard and sustaining a successful program over the course of the past 5 years a huge achievement. It's what Pete has said is his No. 1 goal. Where we landed this year, with all the juggling the coaches did to compete at the same level with all the injury hits we took, might have been their best work yet.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Where do I begin to state my grievances? Too many and too painful and too soon..... Got to get through the mourning stage.... :cry:

nash72

Reaction score
HawkEye":31dvabq9 said:

Fans who are perfectly content with a season like this one -
fpalm.gif

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2iqw7ppa said:
storm74":2iqw7ppa said:
Siouxhawk":2iqw7ppa said:
HawkEye":2iqw7ppa said:

Double digit wins 5 years in a row and 5 straight trips to the divisional round of the playoffs. And oh yes, 2 Super Bowl appearances in the last 4 years, one resulting in a championship. And you are labeling that a failure?

Of course the players have one mission. Every player in the league seeks that outcome. That's what makes winning hard and sustaining a successful program over the course of the past 5 years a huge achievement. It's what Pete has said is his No. 1 goal. Where we landed this year, with all the juggling the coaches did to compete at the same level with all the injury hits we took, might have been their best work yet.

No, I am labeling this season a failure. I asked you if you noticed a trend? At what point do you change things Siouxhawk? 9-7? 8-8? 7-9?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":32esz5xf said:
storm74":32esz5xf said:
Siouxhawk":32esz5xf said:
HawkEye":32esz5xf said:

No, I am labeling this season a failure. I asked you if you noticed a trend? At what point do you change things Siouxhawk? 9-7? 8-8? 7-9?
Failing to make the playoffs is a good place to start. You have to have a chip, chair and a chance.

The injury to Earl and an offensive line that seldom gave us consistent protection were the primary road blocks in getting past the Falcons. I firmly believe that. The Falcons came together really well this season under DQ, so you certainly have to credit them too.

But as you know, each new year brings subtle differences and I just think that we are better equipped to reach the pinnacle again than most and much of that is my belief in the continuity of our coaching staff. Got a strong suspicion this is a belief Pete upholds too.

But, yeah, nowhere close to being labeled a failure as a team.