Switch DK Metcalf to a Running Back

Spohawks

Reaction score
Scat backs are cute and a change of pace, but if you want an All-Pro, you need a tall, meaty, athletic and crazy fast machine who wants the ball.

Derrick Henry 6'3 247 pounds. 40 yards...4.54
DK Metcalf 6'4 235 pounds. 40 yards...4.33

He is the best athlete the Seahawks have and clearly he could catch the ball out of the back field. With so much talent, he is under utilized...give the man the ball!

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":2wbcdgp5 said:
I want off this planet
HAHAHA! I get it, it's a unique idea and one the Hawks won't consider. However the Hawks love that sweep where they hand off to the WR/TE and that is pretty much a hand off. Does it work? Sometimes.

What's the down side of 15 plays a game giving your best and fastest weapon more touches?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Spohawks":3up3b646 said:
Scat backs are cute and a change of pace, but if you want an All-Pro, you need a tall, meaty, athletic and crazy fast machine who wants the ball.

He is the best athlete the Seahawks have and clearly he could catch the ball out of the back field. With so much talent, he is under utilized...give the man the ball!
May as well switch Poona Ford to QB while you're at it...

mrblitz

Reaction score
do the niners run a wr out of the backfield, 5 or 10 carries a game?

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":28j5re9v said:
Spohawks":28j5re9v said:

May as well switch Poona Ford to QB while you're at it...
Jokes on you, Ford was the backup QB in High School.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
mrblitz":2srgm7wq said:
do the niners run a wr out of the backfield, 5 or 10 carries a game?
Do they? It wouldn't shock me, giving different looks and trying to fool the defensive is a smart move.

toffee

Reaction score
Don't think DK would be willing.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Stanley

Reaction score
Spohawks":349jj8gp said:
Throwdown":349jj8gp said:
I want off this planet
HAHAHA! I get it, it's a unique idea and one the Hawks won't consider. However the Hawks love that sweep where they hand off to the WR/TE and that is pretty much a hand off. Does it work? Sometimes.

What's the down side of 15 plays a game giving your best and fastest weapon more touches?

Unique? LOL Deebo says hi. Sort of like when Seattle became a run first/defensive team, AFTER the 49ers and Harbaugh did it first. (albiet the Seahawks had better results)

sutz

Reaction score
I could see it happening from time to time, but not full time. Switching our best outside/deep threat to RB sounds kind of silly to me. I realize it is the silly season, but get real.

Oh, and Derrick Henry is a bit of an outlier. RBs still tend to be six foot tall or less and 220-240 lbs. Better to hide behind the OL and dart through the holes. :mrgreen:

seabowl

Reaction score
A 6’4” rb? Sure and let’s make Dickson a DT. :34853_doh:

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
seabowl":1kcrw835 said:
A 6’4” rb? Sure and let’s make Dickson a DT. :34853_doh:
Brandon Jacobs is 6'4 and he did fine.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
sutz":2a01n1rc said:
I could see it happening from time to time, but not full time. Switching our best outside/deep threat to RB sounds kind of silly to me. I realize it is the silly season, but get real.

Oh, and Derrick Henry is a bit of an outlier. RBs still tend to be six foot tall or less and 220-240 lbs. Better to hide behind the OL and dart through the holes. :mrgreen:
I would agree, not a full time switch but maybe 10-15 plays a game. I had no clue Deebo was already doing this. But of it works why not.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
Deebo had 59 carries for 8 touchdowns last year.
The best a rushing Seahawk could do is 6 touchdowns. And interestingly enough, DK did get 1 rush for 6 yards...that's not a bad average.

I am on to something, I now fully expect the Seahawks to see this post and make some changes :)

Seymour

Reaction score
I think the best way to get more use from DK is to make him our punter. Those long legs would be able to boom the ball 60+ with ease!! :greetingsearthling:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
RB are less valuable than WR.

But I get what you are trying to do, use him like Deebo.

The problem is that DK is not quick. He is fast. His top gear is phenomenal, but his lower gears take a bit longer.

Using him makes sense because of his size, but his speed won't be there - and without speed he isn't going to make much of an impact.

DK also is inconsistently physical. He used to be a brutally violent blocker at times, sometimes almost to drawing the flag - blocking to the whistle or sometimes beyond. But I don't see it all the time. Not enough to ask him to take the punishment of a RB, or the danger it creates.

Finally, how happy would DK be if we are using him this way instead of letting him catch passes?

Unless we find a QB, not sure it makes sense to keep him and I don't see him signing again with us unless we have a QB he can count on.

Of all the issues we have, finding more ways to use DK less as a WR doesn't seem a big priority.