Surprise Cuts? And all other roster cuts!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Matt Landers impressed during preseason and has great measurables, will be interesting to see if he gets claimed. Dareke Young looked like he can't catch targets at an NFL level, but I guess he must be an ace on special teams.

toffee

Reaction score
Matt Landers impressed during preseason and has great measurables, will be interesting to see if he gets claimed. Dareke Young looked like he can't catch targets at an NFL level, but I guess he must be an ace on special teams.
I heard that Landers didn't have good hands? With his DK Metcalf like measurable, once he learn the game, watch out.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I think I heard John Schneider talking about how much he likes him. IDK
He was an interesting prospect coming out. But his resume so far isn't that great. Winston, Landers & Lindsey all outperformed him during the preseason. So why is he still here?

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
One thing I can say is that I haven't seen him play much. I'm sure he has the tangibles
To play in the league, maybe he's a late bloomer. Wasn't he hurt all last season?
Kind of a red shirt year. What if he really takes it up a couple of levels? Like I said, I
Heard Schneider really complimenting D Young when asked about players he really
Thought would be good.

At least he didn't give up 3 firsts and a 3rd for an innacurate project QB from a small school. Tee-hee

olyfan63

Reaction score
Dareke Young just looked incapable on the few targets he got this preseason. Like not at all NFL-caliber. Looked lost trying to find the ball when targeted. Contrast with Bobo, Winston, and Landers, who all made plays where they adjusted to the throw and caught the ball. Winston's deep ball catch vs the Packers, I noticed he avoided putting his hands up too early and tipping off the DB. Made catch at last moment. Just a bunch of difficult little things that NFL-caliber receivers make look easy, and Young looks lost. I sure hope he was just having a couple bad games/nursing an undisclosed injury/dealing with a flu bug that affected his balance and depth perception.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Winston is the only cut i'm bummed about. I expected Bobo to make it, but man I thought Winston looked good.

bileever

Reaction score
For those of you keeping score, all 9 drafted rookies made the final roster, along with two UDFA, Jake Bobo and Chris Stoll (long snapper). That's a total of 11 rookies. The NFL average for rookies on a team is around 6.

Scout

Reaction score
The Rams and Bucs went bonkers with the amount of drafted and undrafted players making their respective squads (eg Super Bowl cap hell). But this goes to show you that PC felt the team needed to keep adding to the current young core to sustain a competitive team long term. It is very easy to go towards vets and with cap space it is tempting but the Hawks are wisely choosing to continue to add to their young core. The added value is the Hawks are integrating more players that buy in and have more time under their belt with the offensive and defensive schemes.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Dareke Young just looked incapable on the few targets he got this preseason. Like not at all NFL-caliber. Looked lost trying to find the ball when targeted. Contrast with Bobo, Winston, and Landers, who all made plays where they adjusted to the throw and caught the ball. Winston's deep ball catch vs the Packers, I noticed he avoided putting his hands up too early and tipping off the DB. Made catch at last moment. Just a bunch of difficult little things that NFL-caliber receivers make look easy, and Young looks lost. I sure hope he was just having a couple bad games/nursing an undisclosed injury/dealing with a flu bug that affected his balance and depth perception.
My take on Dareke takes nothing away from the possibilities that Bobo brings to this offense. I like our receiver group, probably the deepest in the league in terms of quality throughout

Hawk4life

Reaction score
For those of you keeping score, all 9 drafted rookies made the final roster, along with two UDFA, Jake Bobo and Chris Stoll (long snapper). That's a total of 11 rookies. The NFL average for rookies on a team is around 6.
Actually I'm seeing 12 rookies. We have 22 players with a year or less of NFL experience. That is 41.5% of the 53 man roster. The average of team experience is 3.11 years! It is scary that we are so young but PC has an awesome track record of coaching excellence and demands a high level of professionalism. This year is going to be telling, it could be his best year to validate punching his hall of fame ticket.

Player#PosHTWTAgeExpCollege
Jake Bobo
19​
WR
4-Jun​
207​
25​
RUCLA
Anthony Bradford
70​
G
5-Jun​