SuperBowl...or Bust?

HawkWow

Reaction score
I have been a diehard fan since Zorn to Largent. Every year has concluded in heartache for me. I can recall years where I was actually HAPPY the season was over (how sick is that?).

I have never been less concerned about winning the SuperBowl as I am as of this writing. That's not to say I am certain we will win it this year. I am not certain of that at all. I just suddenly don't feel the desperate need for validation as I have in the past. It's a very peculiar feeling that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing?

My theory for this is that in (all those) years past, I felt like we needed to prove we were not inferior to the elite teams. Only in 05 (and 12) did I actually feel we were the team to beat, but even then, I had reservations. Now? I know who we are and I believe (without homerism) that we are the VERY best team in the league. Really, this is all I ever wanted.

I will obviously not be happy if we don't win it all, but the best team doesn't always win the SB. The luck of a bounce (or bad officiating) isn't going to detract from the absolute elation I get watching our new Hawks....so I guess it comes down to this: What is more important to you, a ring or to be the best?
Will the season be a failure for you if we don't get that parade?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The season will be a failure for me if we do not win the Super Bowl, yes. Absolutely.

It was, last year, as well. And this team is better.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2zsldgt7 said:
The season will be a failure for me if we do not win the Super Bowl, yes. Absolutely.

Your honesty is admirable.

I was OK last year because I had few expectations going into last year (all things considered). Losing the way we did in Atlanta sucked hard but at day's end, I was stoked with what we accomplished...and more so, our future.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No.

Stuff happens.

We have already seen domination of other teams on a scale that hasn't been seen since teams like the Greatest Show on Turf.

40-50 point blowouts, multiple. This team is one of the most dominant in the past several years, SB or no.

But sometimes better teams get beat. I remember one of the best teams I ever saw, which was a stacked Houston Oiler team, a team that destroyed Dallas (who ended up winning the Super Bowl) at the beginning of the year. They had everyone, I think they won something like 10 games in a row. They even had Buddy Ryan, one of the best DCs ever, as their DC.

They lost to a 904 year old Joe Montana who was now on the Chiefs throwing to some guy named Byrd that nobody had every heard of and nobody would ever hear of again. But Joe Montana was still one of the best QBs ever and he personally beat one of the best teams many people had seen in a while.

You just cannot account for the things that can happen along the way, the odd fumble, the weird bounce of the ball. St. Louis, one of the best teams at the time it was dominant, came something like 1 yard from not winning that Super Bowl.

One of the most incredible teams I ever saw, the Gang Green Philadelphia Eagles never won anything but I will never forget how they played football and I was too young to even know the rules then. I'm betting some young kid is watching our defense fly around with same awe I felt back then.

People will remember these Seahawks. This isn't average football they play.

Last year was a rush, if this year is anything like last year, without the heartache of losing to a crappy Atlanta team (?!?!) that would be fine with me.

That said, I still hold a grudge against the NFL for jobbing us in the SuperBowl and they kind of owe us one to make it even.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The best team in the NFL did not win the superbowl last year. I think it's important to maintain that perspective. Play well ... play hard ... don't lose for stupid reasons ... I'll be fine.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
It's Superbowl or bust for me. I will be disappointed without the Lombardi. I'm not ok with being "viewd as great". I want to crush every team we play.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawaii has not yet jumped onto the Hawk bandwagon (but will soon). Today I'm standing in line at Costco and the check out guy sees my hat and comments "how good the Hawks are looking this pre-season". As I'm getting my card back, he asks me how I "think the regular season will go"? I just said...the exact same way the pre-season is going. And meant it.

As of late, I am noticing 9er fans going out of their way, to get out of my way, in public places. It's a great feeling watching them squirm while attempting to hide from the truth. ; )

Cartire

Reaction score
Sadly, in a way, the Media has kinda put Superbowl or bust on our backs.

In a lot of other fans eyes, we are still the underdogs that have more to prove. The gale us with tales of undeserved victories (wk 3) and teams being unprepared for us. They complain about the hubris that erupts from our fandom. They call us bandwagoners. They basically say that last year was a fluke, ala, 2011 detroit lions. Or, the paper champions award of equal or lesser value to the "Dream Team" Eagles.

At this point we are favorites from most people to be in the bowl, along with Denver. The toke bowl. The 420 start time.

I cant say much for Denver, but yea, were kinda at that label now whether we like it or not.

Barthawk

Reaction score
When I lived on Oahu from 95-03.. the Niner loving was out of control.. I was the only Hawks fan at the Shack in Mililani.. Hawks fans are sprouting in Texas too.

I ran into a former Hawk/Patriot at the airport in San Antonio yesterday, Larry Whigham. He saw me repping the Hawks gear and told me while he played in NE most of his career, he really wished he could've played in Seattle.. and he was drafted by Flores! He said he was on the PS and Parcells picked him up.. played 7 years in NE under Parcells/Carroll and made two pro bowls..

Back to the original Question- every year is Superbowl or bust, but this year is much like 2006-7 for me.. the expectations are through the roof.. we just gotta stay healthy and I think we should be good to go.. The 2006 team struggled late with injuries, but got healthy and should've beaten the Bears at CHI in the divisional round IMO..

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yes, SuperBowl champs or bust! The talent is there, they've figured out SF and are about to flat out dominate the NFL. I am taking he week after the SuperBowl off because I plan on celebrating he Hawks first championship by being in a week long drunken coma with a permasmile on my face!

OlyHawk

Reaction score
Lombardi Trophy in Seattle!!! I still haven't watched the second half of Superbowl XL on video, too painful.
Going to the big game is great, but I don't want the experience Buffalo Bills fans have.
Four in a row and no trophy. Great fun in the regular season and a painful ending.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
The coaching and talent are there. Now we have to rely on Lady Luck whom, let's face it, is a temperamental bitch...

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
The coaching and talent are there. Now we have to rely on Lady Luck whom, let's face it, is a temperamental bitch...

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":o6o4c074 said:

For any of the Holmgren teams, I would have thought an attitude like this would be both crazy and unhealthy. But for the current team? This team has dynasty written all over it. Every season that it doesn't win it all is a wasted opportunity. We aren't going to win the SB every year, we might win every 3rd year if we are fortunate, but we should feel like Super Bowl favorites every season for a long time.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This feels like 'the year' for me. I said that the same in 2012, that 2013 was going to be 'it', and I'm even more sure of it now. I refuse to give up that special feeling.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Barthawk":1a4n2i77 said:
When I lived on Oahu from 95-03.. the Niner loving was out of control.. I was the only Hawks fan at the Shack in Mililani.. Hawks fans are sprouting in Texas too.

I ran into a former Hawk/Patriot at the airport in San Antonio yesterday, Larry Whigham. He saw me repping the Hawks gear and told me while he played in NE most of his career, he really wished he could've played in Seattle.. and he was drafted by Flores! He said he was on the PS and Parcells picked him up.. played 7 years in NE under Parcells/Carroll and made two pro bowls..

Back to the original Question- every year is Superbowl or bust, but this year is much like 2006-7 for me.. the expectations are through the roof.. we just gotta stay healthy and I think we should be good to go.. The 2006 team struggled late with injuries, but got healthy and should've beaten the Bears at CHI in the divisional round IMO..

I've spent many a game as the only Hawk fan at the Shack (Hawaii Kai) myself! Worse is Players downtown. All kinds of madness in there and a guy in Hawk gear is about as comfortable as a haole in Kalihi. You know all about 49er mania here...but I do believe that's changing. Everybody loves a winner. ; )

Crash123go

Reaction score
I think as long as the GM continues to be one of the better FO in the league and The coaching staff continues to develop young talent the window will remain open. Too much is made of a "super bowl window" when you a have a top personel department who continues to influx the team with talent