Sarlacc83

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2pculkq9 said:
Sarlacc83":2pculkq9 said:
twisted_steel2":2pculkq9 said:
Does seem things are happening behind the scenes. :th2thumbs:

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2014/2/28/5 ... eoff-baker

Isn't that what happened last time?

Stuff happening behind the scenes... so we got our hopes up, started celebrating, then Stern crushed our dreams and ripped out our hearts and then stomped on them in front of us laughing? Yea.

Dude, but this is different.... its the NHL. See?

I don't know man, I cant help myself I get excited, cant help it. I know I shouldn't until I see some rich dude in a suit on ESPN making the official announcement. Oh well. :Dunno:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see an NHL team that's a little closer than B.C. Maybe the Super Bowl win will help by showing how much the citizens of Seattle care.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's Arty boy. Probably trying to get hits to his site. Lots of speculation and guessing on his part.

Subzero717

Reaction score
↑ Realistcly building an arena for Hockey with no promise of basketball doesnt make a ton of sense. An NHL team playing at Key makes even less sense.

m0ng0

Reaction score
and playing in the Rose Garden makes perfect sense, like it always has.....

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
There's money to be made here. I hope that money moves somewhere other than SoDo. Frankly, any plan that rests on waiting for the NBA is stupid, no offense to the passion for basketball Chris Hansen has. I know if the SoDo arena ends up only housing basketball, I'll never step one foot into it as I'm not really a concert-goer type either.

Paul Allen isn't buying a hockey team unless he can lowball offer for a franchise already in trouble. I doubt he pays big expansion fees, which is what NHL owners will be looking for.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
If that's true, I'm just done having hope on this. I've wanted an NHL team here for as long as I've been alive and now it's being held up by the stooges in charge of the NBA. Screw them. I'm done caring.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Any one see after the Strbucks share holders meeting with Oprah, it looked like a Q & A after, one of the Q13 guys asked Schultz if he wanted to respond, after 'some' fans think he's the reason the Sonics left, then he asked him if he wanted apologize for the Sonics leaving...

Schultz just kept repeating he wasnt there to talk about 'that' situation or the Sonics.

At least he made him squirm a bit.

Bill Wixey afterwards was like "I wouldnt have been that nice, I think he would have run from me if he saw me coming"

Ol' Bill was pretty mad.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
twisted_steel2":30ifwu9p said:
Any one see after the Strbucks share holders meeting with Oprah, it looked like a Q & A after, one of the Q13 guys asked Schultz if he wanted to respond, after 'some' fans think he's the reason the Sonics left, then he asked him if he wanted apologize for the Sonics leaving...

Schultz just kept repeating he wasnt there to talk about 'that' situation or the Sonics.

At least he made him squirm a bit.

Bill Wixey afterwards was like "I wouldnt have been that nice, I think he would have run from me if he saw me coming"

Ol' Bill was pretty mad.

That was a good bit. Made me pissed off to see Shultz refuse to apologize like that, but loved that they pushed him about it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
IndyHawk":p3u54nmg said:
"Seattle IceHawks" got to admit it has a nice ring to it...

Never understood hockey teams putting "ice" in the name. Is our football team the grasshawks?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Kaiser":8xkdiazq said:
IndyHawk":8xkdiazq said:

Never understood hockey teams putting "ice" in the name. Is our football team the grasshawks?

Well technically, they would be the turfhawks.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Kaiser":3lhst6jr said:
IndyHawk":3lhst6jr said:

Well I like the name it sounds a lot better than some I saw..I thought it would be cool to have a name similar to the Hawks but on ice and hopefully they would win like our football team..Paul Allen could even own them if he chose to do it..Another thought I had was using the Sonics for hockey..I know that would be shot down ...Throw you come to mind on that ..I think the Sonics colors would look great on a hockey uniform..Green/yellow with a big space needle on front..These are just my ideas guys thats all ..

pinksheets

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3q3eehk2 said:
It's over. The NBA wants us to have an arena up first in the next city they move to. The best way to do that would be to amend the MOU and get hockey in here first. Hansen won't, so the NBA will go elsewhere. I get why Hansen won't, but them's the facts.
This is just kicking the dirt out of frustration that we won't get winter sports immediately. Reopening the MOU would be the most dangerous thing Hansen could do. His focus is, as it should be, on getting through the process of the EIS and having a shovel ready arena plan. If the NHL wants to come here on spec, they can. If an NHL group wants to take a huge chunk of the city's risk AND most of Hansen's risk (that he would pay back in if/when the NBA team comes), I'm sure it'd be an easy proposition, but it doesn't pencil out financially at all. All Hansen did today was reiterate what he was saying when he was pushing this arena deal initially, "Be patient. We're in this for the long haul. Let's continue to put our best foot forward. Oh, and my group has no interest in owning a hockey team."

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
pinksheets":1h04mnwt said:
Smelly McUgly":1h04mnwt said:
It's over. The NBA wants us to have an arena up first in the next city they move to. The best way to do that would be to amend the MOU and get hockey in here first. Hansen won't, so the NBA will go elsewhere. I get why Hansen won't, but them's the facts.
This is just kicking the dirt out of frustration that we won't get winter sports immediately. Reopening the MOU would be the most dangerous thing Hansen could do. His focus is, as it should be, on getting through the process of the EIS and having a shovel ready arena plan. If the NHL wants to come here on spec, they can. If an NHL group wants to take a huge chunk of the city's risk AND most of Hansen's risk (that he would pay back in if/when the NBA team comes), I'm sure it'd be an easy proposition, but it doesn't pencil out financially at all. All Hansen did today was reiterate what he was saying when he was pushing this arena deal initially, "Be patient. We're in this for the long haul. Let's continue to put our best foot forward. Oh, and my group has no interest in owning a hockey team."

But other places have arenas or are building them, like KC and Las Vegas. The latter is more attractive to the NBA, as the NBA's modus operandi is to find cities that only have them as a pro team since those cities are easier to hold hostage for a new arena. See Sacramento, moving from Seattle to Oklahoma City, the numerous teams that are alone in their cities like Sacramento, San Antonio, Orlando, OKC, etc.

The NBA wants an arena first (as does the NHL, to be fair). Other cities are doing that and we are not. I mean, this isn't a temper tantrum. I want hockey here badly, but I'm pretty sobered about the chances of that happening through the SoDo arena, which I honestly don't think will get built.

Latest posts