Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wtbu55si said:
Glasgow Seahawk":wtbu55si said:
That starting lineup was garbage, throwing away winnable points that may be needed at the end of the season for hfa. We done that at points last season and it pissed me off. Always feel you should have your strongest team for the first game. It screws the fans too.

LA weren't that great especially defensively. Vela was good for them and rossi. Good goal though.

We were unlucky second half with chances but why are guys like wolf not starting?

Just frustrated, I don't give an eff about concacaf CL and guys like wingo, alfaro and shipp aren't great. Maybe once the mexican teams care I may or they make changes to it but focus on bread and butter first. Dempsey makes too much money not to even be in the squad. Cameo role at least.

The boy who came on and hit the bar looked promising. Hope our korean signing plays soon and we don't see anymore of Alfaro.

I mostly agree, but I have mixed feelings about the CL vs league match debate.

It's the MLS, other than it being opening night, which granted is a big deal I would have done exactly what Schmetzer did, put more emphasis on these CL matches over one of 37 matches against a weak opponent.

I know we lost, but we dominated possession and chances, just bad luck we couldn't put one in.

A good portion of that bad luck was self-inflected.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Nice win for the Sounders last night. 1-0, but should have been two or three more. Header off the post, Dempsey shank from around the penalty spot, and a missed PK by the ref who apparently is okay with tripping in the box.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":168amjrp said:
Nice win for the Sounders last night. 1-0, but should have been two or three more. Header off the post, Dempsey shank from around the penalty spot, and a missed PK by the ref who apparently is okay with tripping in the box.

Yep, and I have a feeling we're going to need that extra goal or two at Chivas.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zr4g7f0 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":1zr4g7f0 said:

Yep, and I have a feeling we're going to need that extra goal or two at Chivas.

Just need an away goal and that will put Chives at a heavy disadvantage needing a 3-1 margin.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I bitched about CONCACAF but that was fun last night. We're probably gonna rue those missed chances as it will likely be a different/harder game in Mexico.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Apparently if we go through to the next round, we may need to play the home leg at Safeco field due to a Moto X thing at CLink. I think that would be...kind of cool as a one off thing apart from one side of the field being miles away from fans. Safeco has good facilities and sightlines though.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Nico Lodiero won't play in tonight's second leg of the CCL because of a foot injury. And there goes any shot Seattle had of winning.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2dxi4qqy said:
Nico Lodiero won't play in tonight's second leg of the CCL because of a foot injury. And there goes any shot Seattle had of winning.

Damn.

Quick, to the Bunker Ball Mobile!!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":24hffvgi said:

We got this. Toronto and the Red Bulls won against better teams. Chivas have been stinking the the league this year.

Only concern was not getting a second goal at home.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1ohq7juz said:

Or a 3rd goal.

Not having Lodeiro was a death blow last night, we desperately needed him to help even out the possession and distribute..........instead Chivas just ran circles around us tiring out our back line, and eventually just running past them.

I hope Kim's slow feet of stone improve, because I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ym607xg said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2ym607xg said:

Or a 3rd goal.

Not having Lodeiro was a death blow last night, we desperately needed him to help even out the possession and distribute..........instead Chivas just ran circles around us tiring out our back line, and eventually just running past them.

I hope Kim's slow feet of stone improve, because I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

I watched more of this than I should have.

That was a very poor performance from Seattle last night. Thought the set up was wrong given the circumstances. The effort was worse. The response to the 2 goals lacked any ingenuity or ambition

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2x1sc5m2 said:
Sgt. Largent":2x1sc5m2 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2x1sc5m2 said:

Or a 3rd goal.

That was a very poor performance from Seattle last night. Thought the set up was wrong given the circumstances. The effort was worse. The response to the 2 goals lacked any ingenuity or ambition

True, but typical of a tired frustrated club in the 2nd half of matches when they know they're getting whooped. We had no more energy to do anything, let along put together any sort of cohesive response....................AND we used two subs in the first half due to injuries.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
That was piss poor. We are better than that.

Should have went for the early away goal rather than put pressure on our suspect defense. We barely strung 2 passes together. Chivas are not a good team, look at their position in the table, any time we went forward they looked suspect.

Reminded me of the MLS cup final all over again.

Also why throw away points in MLS by fielding a weakened team and not playing your strongest team in the CCL. Nouhou and Leerdham were badly missed. The back up full backs were awful.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":239fl57b said:
Also why throw away points in MLS by fielding a weakened team and not playing your strongest team in the CCL. Nouhou and Leerdham were badly missed. The back up full backs were awful.

This is now the biggest failure on Schmetzer's part, he tried to split up the starters minutes between CCL and MLS, and it backfired on both........loss in CCL, and loss in the home openers AND now we have to go to Dallas Sunday needing points.

Not an easy task I understand, but if you're going to go for it in the CCL, then field your best starting 11 and go for it. It's much easier to squeak out a result in a regular season MLS match, than win a CCL series against a superior opponent.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mc856fa3 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":mc856fa3 said:

This is now the biggest failure on Schmetzer's part, he tried to split up the starters minutes between CCL and MLS, and it backfired on both........loss in CCL, and loss in the home openers AND now we have to go to Dallas Sunday needing points.

Not an easy task I understand, but if you're going to go for it in the CCL, then field your best starting 11 and go for it. It's much easier to squeak out a result in a regular season MLS match, than win a CCL series against a superior opponent.

I am starting to worry about our off season activity. The guys we signed look like squad depth rather than quality. Need that DP spot filled in the summer as a priority. Given we haven't been able to count on Morris for a year and a half, we probably need to get a speedy winger in or possibly another quality forward.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2q7i4y2q said:
Sgt. Largent":2q7i4y2q said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2q7i4y2q said:

I am starting to worry about our off season activity. The guys we signed look like squad depth rather than quality. Need that DP spot filled in the summer as a priority. Given we haven't been able to count on Morris for a year and a half, we probably need to get a speedy winger in or possibly another quality forward.

Well now all the DP's we've been scouting and putting out feelers on has changed because of Morris's injury.

But yes, this team has to find some offense in the summer transfer window, and get wider without Morris. You saw how narrow we looked last night, and even last Sunday against LA.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14lwtwvn said:
Uncle Si":14lwtwvn said:
Sgt. Largent":14lwtwvn said:
Glasgow Seahawk":14lwtwvn said:

Or a 3rd goal.

True, but typical of a tired frustrated club in the 2nd half of matches when they know they're getting whooped. We had no more energy to do anything, let along put together any sort of cohesive response....................AND we used two subs in the first half due to injuries.

Why were they tired though? I didn't understand the philosophy of chasing the back line and stretching yourselves wide. Could've stayed compact for 60-65 minutes and waited for the Chivas to get impatient.

It was just a poor set up and game mentality.

They didn't go for the away goal, but didn't seem to want to be compact either.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ac3atml said:
Why were they tired though? I didn't understand the philosophy of chasing the back line and stretching yourselves wide. Could've stayed compact for 60-65 minutes and waited for the Chivas to get impatient.

It was just a poor set up and game mentality.

They didn't go for the away goal, but didn't seem to want to be compact either.

They were tired cause they were chasing the ball the entire first half with no possession without Lodeiro, Chivas was running circles around our mids and defenders, especially the outside FB's.

That spells tired, frustrated and put a fork in any chance of a cohesive offensive push in either half.