Seahawks vrs Dolphins..Week 1.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Atylla made a good point that I wanted to reiterate.

He said that Miami was built to combat NE's strengths, ie: getting pressure on Brady. NE has a very special ability to change up their offense, and they've destroyed both Miami and the Colts when they've gone run heavy. They can obviously shred you in the short passing game and hitting Gronk over the top.

This is going to be an interesting litmus test for us, and it could be a barometer for the entire season. Miami looks to have a DL that has historically given us problems with pressure up the middle and good edge pressure. Can we impose our will on the ground against Miami, and if not ,do we go to a quicker passing game like the last half of last year ?

I respect the hell out of NE's game plan, and I really wish we would emulate it more. If a team loads up to stop us, instead of just beating against that brick wall, we shred them throug the air, get our 10 point lead, then be able to bludgeon them on the ground. Especially against a team like Miami that has a weak secondary. NE historically attacks a team's weaknesses. Pete historcially likes to impose his brand of football on the other team. Both work, but with our skill position players and solid defense, we can actually do both.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Djphinfan":280sqr32 said:
let me run this by y'all..do you really think rawls is that good with that 5.5 average or is this a case of wilson running the read option stuff and basically making the defenders focus on him instead of rawls, this making any back look good.?

That is really one of the million dollar questions about the Hawks going into this season. Some people here are convinced that Rawls (minus the injury) is the real deal, and I think it is hard to argue he isn't. About the only argument I can think of is that defenses really didn't have a lot of tape to prepare for the late season Seahawks offensive game plan, which left them doing some chasing. This did open things up a bit for Rawls. Perhaps adjustments to the line opened holes for Rawls that weren't there for Lynch, but it's hard to see how that argues against Rawls being a legit talent.

The question of how he has healed and rehabbed is certainly reasonable. Nobody can answer that question until we see him in action, but with Prosise and Michael being on the roster, I'm really not too worried.

I am of the opinion that it really doesn't matter who we have back there anymore (within reason). Going forward, the RB position is going to be plug and play for the Hawks, and that position will no longer take up a significant portion of our salary cap. I predict we will see a rotating stable of backs who make a name for themselves before going on to free agency financial success with another team. This will be very reminiscent of how we have run the offensive line for the last several years.

This is legitimately Russell Wilson's team now, and everything revolves around him. Until this year, there were legitimate arguments to be made about the crutches that we surrounded Wilson with. It's hard to see those arguments being made now. Going forward we have an elite quarterback, an elite defense, and top tier kickers with a supporting cast of role players filling out the team. Russell Wilson is no longer a product of the system, he is the system and the success of the players around him are a product of him. Our success or failure hinges on him. That really couldn't be said before.

Oh, and we really didn't run the read option much last year. It is a tool that Bevell/ Wilson pull out on occasion, but it really isn't a staple of our offense anymore.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Hawks46":11erbsg7 said:

He said that Miami was built to combat NE's strengths, ie: getting pressure on Brady. NE has a very special ability to change up their offense, and they've destroyed both Miami and the Colts when they've gone run heavy. They can obviously shred you in the short passing game and hitting Gronk over the top.

This is going to be an interesting litmus test for us, and it could be a barometer for the entire season. Miami looks to have a DL that has historically given us problems with pressure up the middle and good edge pressure. Can we impose our will on the ground against Miami, and if not ,do we go to a quicker passing game like the last half of last year ?

I respect the hell out of NE's game plan, and I really wish we would emulate it more. If a team loads up to stop us, instead of just beating against that brick wall, we shred them throug the air, get our 10 point lead, then be able to bludgeon them on the ground. Especially against a team like Miami that has a weak secondary. NE historically attacks a team's weaknesses. Pete historcially likes to impose his brand of football on the other team. Both work, but with our skill position players and solid defense, we can actually do both.

I don't think that the quick passing game is a good fit for Wilson, only because there are a lot of 3 and 5 step drops, height does help a bit in that Dept, and your limiting his ability to survey the field with space in front of him to maneuver and make plays, basically he's the best playmaker in the game why take that away from him?

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3b6j0qpx said:
Hawk_Nation":3b6j0qpx said:
Russ is going to pick on Maxwell all game. Book it.

This deserves a "Like" button
until I see the man play in our uniform live I cannot talk any junk..

2_0_6

Reaction score
Djphinfan":26rtymo1 said:
bigskydoc":26rtymo1 said:
Hawk_Nation":26rtymo1 said:
Russ is going to pick on Maxwell all game. Book it.

This deserves a "Like" button
until I see the man play in our uniform live I cannot talk any junk..

Oh the optimism. I remember hearing the same thing by some of us last year when we got Cary Williams..

We all know how that went.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1ihycimn said:
Djphinfan":1ihycimn said:
Hawks46":1ihycimn said:

I don't think that the quick passing game is a good fit for Wilson, only because there are a lot of 3 and 5 step drops, height does help a bit in that Dept, and your limiting his ability to survey the field with space in front of him to maneuver and make plays, basically he's the best playmaker in the game why take that away from him?

Apparently you missed the second half of last season. Moving to more 3-5 step drops and quick reads led to an offensive explosion.

dude can do it all then..

as your opponent id rather you play that game, we've beaten new england three strait years at home..

I say that because of our new defensive scheme which is gonna be all press all the time, its our best way to contain your receivers..

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Djphinfan":389kyg01 said:
FlyHawksFly":389kyg01 said:
Djphinfan":389kyg01 said:
Hawks46":389kyg01 said:

Apparently you missed the second half of last season. Moving to more 3-5 step drops and quick reads led to an offensive explosion.

dude can do it all then..

as your opponent id rather you play that game, we've beaten new england three strait years at home..

I say that because of our new defensive scheme which is gonna be all press all the time, its our best way to contain your receivers..
It's not really about stopping our passing game. Miami isn't capable of it just like Carolinna wasn't, while up 31-0. It's all about the run game and a field surface you can't mess up and screw your opponent. We are going to neutralize your strength by going right at you downhill like an avalanche. Rawls isn't Lynch, nobody is but he's top tier and works with Wilson better. That isn't bragging it just fact and real game results. The guy isn't a dude looking for contact he hits the hole and runs North/South it's just that simple. Plus we have a young Fred Jackson and a for real bruiser at fullback. Looking at this makes me think they're at least as deep and good as 2013. Problem is Arizona isn't messing around and very well may match us move for move.

Luckily we have Wilson and they have Palmer and you have Tannihill think about it hard and long and then get back at me.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm glad Miami has a good DL, because it will hopefully prepare the O-line for that buzzsaw in L.A. the following week.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Djphinfan":1dtes2a3 said:

It is unlikely that there is a receiver corps in the league that is more familiar with press coverage than ours. Baldwin, Kearse, Willson (and of course Wilson) have practiced against the best press defense in the league every week for the last four plus years.

Willson particularly excels against the press coverage. Ask our friends in Arizona. If you try it, expect to see him burn you over the top on a misdirection play. He does a great job of shedding the press, then getting just behind the linebackers where Wilson drops a surgical strike and it's off to the races (IF Willson holds on to the ball)

-bsd

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
our corner situation is in dire straits no doubt, but if yall want to run against us, ill take that matchup, Jackson has lost two steps and ill take Rawls over lynch all day..

Laloosh

Reaction score
Djphinfan":2p3if70i said:
our corner situation is in dire straits no doubt, but if yall want to run against us, ill take that matchup, Jackson has lost two steps and ill take Rawls over lynch all day..

I think Niner fans said the same thing right before he put up 209 yards on them.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Djphinfan":1fjcpb8l said:

You mean defend Rawls over Lynch?

The 9ers were saying the same thing until Rawls put up 209 yards on em.

Not saying he is better than Lynch in his peak but Rawls was on track to have one hell of a season before the injury and that was not even being the starter until around game 4.

We really don't know what to think with Rawls. Tons of questions right now. Will he be his old self? Was the scheme change the reason for his success or maybe it was because teams were still game planning for Lynch and Rawls appears to hit the hole so much quicker. Will we revert to a power running scheme and potentially limit his production? Can he stay healthy?

All those questions yet for even money I would take Rawls over Lynch right now if I had to choose. That being based on Lynch's age and mileage and what we had seen from Rawls so far.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Depending on our teams health after pre season, I'm feeling confident about this matchup.

Basically everything has been covered this thread. I'll just say if our o line can keep wilson upright, we'll be alright. That dolphins d line looks incredible on paper

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Laloosh":2hepm1z0 said:
Djphinfan":2hepm1z0 said:

I think Niner fans said the same thing right before he put up 209 yards on them.
were not the niners..different players..better players.

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
Jerhawk":318xn8i7 said:
Depending on our teams health after pre season, I'm feeling confident about this matchup.

Basically everything has been covered this thread. I'll just say if our o line can keep wilson upright, we'll be alright. That dolphins d line looks incredible on paper

no'one can account for the playmaking ability of Russ Wilson, it makes it very frustrating from a matchup perspective, because we could win the matchup, and still lose..

OP
OP
D

Djphinfan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":26y1gd08 said:
Djphinfan":26y1gd08 said:

You mean defend Rawls over Lynch?

The 9ers were saying the same thing until Rawls put up 209 yards on em.

Not saying he is better than Lynch in his peak but Rawls was on track to have one hell of a season before the injury and that was not even being the starter until around game 4.

We really don't know what to think with Rawls. Tons of questions right now. Will he be his old self? Was the scheme change the reason for his success or maybe it was because teams were still game planning for Lynch and Rawls appears to hit the hole so much quicker. Will we revert to a power running scheme and potentially limit his production? Can he stay healthy?

All those questions yet for even money I would take Rawls over Lynch right now if I had to choose. That being based on Lynch's age and mileage and what we had seen from Rawls so far.

running backs coming off ankle surgery is scary...

lobohawk

Reaction score
The field definitely tilts in the Hawks favor and they should win. The only pressure point in the game is Miami's DL vs the OL. We already were guessing on how the OL will gel for the season, but now they have to go up against some big boys in the league. It'll be an interesting watch to see how they handle it.

While QB pressure may be a concern, Miami should be well suited for a stout run D also. One of Mario's positives is his run D. That said, Mario isn't a good match with Wilson when he goes mobile. Just reference the Bills' game in 2012 when he rushed for 3 TDs.

...and I can't wait to see Reed on our DL.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Djphinfan":3sw9kkl0 said:
Fred Jackson didn't just lose a step, he lost his roster spot. He's a free agent.

Mizzou's comment about having a young Fred Jackson refers to one of our rookies, likely C.J. Prosise out of Notre Dame, the #90 overall pick this year.

BTW, thanks for sharing info on your team. I've been hoping for good things from the Dolphins recent/current rebuild. Someone has to step up in that division.

Latest posts