Seahawks to sign WR Laviska Shenault

flv2

Reaction score
Wouldn’t an all pro be a better choice? Obviously. We are not a team with unlimited cap resources. When you have less cap to work with you low risk guys and if they don’t work out you keep looking. Even with that said, you’re still comparing apples to oranges. The return game has been turned on its head. This will be new for the NFL. This is just one guy that may or may not even be here come September. It’s not as if he’s the reason we can’t bring in some pro bowl talent.
I didn't suggest an all-pro. I suggested someone with recent experience. Someone who has been returning kicks in college, the UFL, semi-pro ball, anywhere.

...and again, if the return game is different now what does this guy have or what has he done to justify a $1.15M guarantee?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
I didn't suggest an all-pro. I suggested someone with recent experience. Someone who has been returning kicks in college, the UFL, semi-pro ball, anywhere.

...and again, if the return game is different now what does this guy have or what has he done to justify a $1.15M guarantee?

I don’t know why you say “if the return game is different”. There’s zero doubt that it will be completely different. Between the GM, the coaches, the scouts and the cap gurus they are trying to find the best available talent for our. Reds with the limited resources we have. Right now without more players we are relying on Eskridge to stay healthy. Bringing in someone the team likes to fill the role makes sense. It also makes sense to look at young talent too but we aren’t there yet.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is about Shenault, not the other names you've mentioned. Shenault was on a non-guaranteed rookie wage contract for 2 more seasons and his team said they'd accept any offer to get rid of him. If they didn't get an offer they'd cut him rather than have him in camp. He was traded to the least talented team in the NFL and he couldn't crack their top 3 at WR. Every NFL coach and QB he been around has declined to re-sign him at minimum wage. It's not luck. He's a bust that very obviously doesn't make the most of his opportunities. If he had made the most of things and was still a bust that would be the strongest reason to NOT sign him. I'd still be ok with it if the Seahawks were weak at WR, but they're supposedly the #1 in the NFL at WR ahead of the deepest WR Draft in history. If it was a contract with no guarantees and no signing bonus then see how it works out in camp for 2-3 weeks - but no! The Seahawks took money away from Lockett and guaranteed this guy $1.15M. LMAO, but i'd be furious if my team did this.

It could work out, but so could signing a player at a position of need who was on another teams PS last season. I would have preferred that they had done that instead.

Still don’t know what exactly is your argument as Shenault has been a free agent exactly one time; this season. The FO, OCs, and HC coaches that either made the investment in drafting or traded for him were removed because they sucked big time ass so it’s far from “we have to keep Dee Eskridge on the roster despite the fact he can’t stay healthy and consistently produce because we invested a 2nd round pick in him or “we have to keep LJ Collier on roster because we invested a first round pick” or “we are going to change our entire defensive scheme to put Jamal Adams in his best position because we gave up a lot of picks and money to this guy for it not to work”

Shenault didn’t stick because he proved to be a mere role player and he didn’t have a decent market because he was coming off surgery. But it doesn’t mean he’s bad and it doesn’t mean he can’t add value, if Eskridge has produced what Shenault has produced in his first 3 seasons while maintaining his special team value a lot of people here would have took that over what he did produced easily and it’s possible in that scenario that JSN wouldn’t have been drafted last year or Lockett wouldn’t be on the roster this year if they still took JSN last year.

Low cost… Floor raised.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
I don’t know why you say “if the return game is different”. There’s zero doubt that it will be completely different. Between the GM, the coaches, the scouts and the cap gurus they are trying to find the best available talent for our. Reds with the limited resources we have. Right now without more players we are relying on Eskridge to stay healthy. Bringing in someone the team likes to fill the role makes sense. It also makes sense to look at young talent too but we aren’t there yet.
I'm not disputing any of that. The question was simply why guarantee a bust player $1.15M to do the job before the contest to win the job has even begun? The team has 5 months to find kick returners.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not disputing any of that. The question was simply why guarantee a bust player $1.15M to do the job before the contest to win the job has even begun? The team has 5 months to find kick returners.

The grantee suggests a signing conviction. A conviction that the experienced player fills a defined roster role for 2024.

..........................................................................................................................................
PS Special Teams matters. Especially going into this new era. It's not an after thought.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
The grantee suggests a signing conviction. A conviction that the experienced player fills a defined roster role for 2024.

..........................................................................................................................................
PS Special Teams matters. Especially going into this new era. It's not an after thought.
If and when it comes to Schneider's conviction...i'm in favour of it. ;)

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Obviously the team thinks they have a chance to make something of him. Guaranteeing the money was merely an enticement to get him to sign here. I also read that his contract qualifies for cap relief so it won’t even cost us what we paid in cap dollars.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Did this guy rob you or something? I feel like you're reacting pretty harshly over this signing. You do know that you personally don't pay that 1.15M right? 🤣

flv2

Reaction score
Did this guy rob you or something? I feel like you're reacting pretty harshly over this signing. You do know that you personally don't pay that 1.15M right? 🤣
No, and if he succeeds then good luck to him. When I watched him play for the Jaguars he didn't play hard and the little I saw of him at the Panthers was much the same. I was surprised members here were happy about the Seahawks signing him. I shrugged my shoulders and let it go. Someone posted that my opinion was weird and I let that go. Then multiple people liked that post indicating they're happy for Shenault to be here. That's ok too. I'm wrong about many NFL things. To quote a line from Lucky Number Slevin: "the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle". I'm genuinely curious as to what i'm missing in my 'non-trier' analysis of Shenault and why multiple people are happy about the situation. I still haven't read a solid explanation. Certain members here have vilified several Seahawks players who didn't play hard or didn't succeed on the field. Others are complaining about Howell before he even gets to the locker room. I guess I just don't understand this fan base.

SuperHawk2

Reaction score
No, and if he succeeds then good luck to him. When I watched him play for the Jaguars he didn't play hard and the little I saw of him at the Panthers was much the same. I was surprised members here were happy about the Seahawks signing him. I shrugged my shoulders and let it go. Someone posted that my opinion was weird and I let that go. Then multiple people liked that post indicating they're happy for Shenault to be here. That's ok too. I'm wrong about many NFL things. To quote a line from Lucky Number Slevin: "the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle". I'm genuinely curious as to what i'm missing in my 'non-trier' analysis of Shenault and why multiple people are happy about the situation. I still haven't read a solid explanation. Certain members here have vilified several Seahawks players who didn't play hard or didn't succeed on the field. Others are complaining about Howell before he even gets to the locker room. I guess I just don't understand this fan base.
Well you kind of jumped on him pretty hard, with the he is garbage and trash talk, came of a little harsh I think. Just a man trying to make a living, in a sport I hope he still loves. Before I saw this thread I saw a interview with JS, and he was pretty excited about using him in the new kick off format, he spoke very highly of him, which surprised me also, and saw the guaranteed money. So I took the wait and see approach. I remember a movie where is kid found a old fighting robot that nobody wanted, piece of junk in the dump...yada yada yada he became a champion. First post, been pretty much just observing for close to 25 years, since the PI days, anyways, hey there! be warned, I can't write or spell, deal with it...who knows, I may not post for another 25, if I can make it

flv2

Reaction score
Well you kind of jumped on him pretty hard, with the he is garbage and trash talk, came of a little harsh I think. Just a man trying to make a living, in a sport I hope he still loves. Before I saw this thread I saw a interview with JS, and he was pretty excited about using him in the new kick off format, he spoke very highly of him, which surprised me also, and saw the guaranteed money. So I took the wait and see approach. I remember a movie where is kid found a old fighting robot that nobody wanted, piece of junk in the dump...yada yada yada he became a champion. First post, been pretty much just observing for close to 25 years, since the PI days, anyways, hey there! be warned, I can't write or spell, deal with it...who knows, I may not post for another 25, if I can make it
Shenault has been lower profile than Chase Claypool but their career paths and problems are similar. Maybe if the Seahawks had signed Claypool and were talking to Shenault then the forum reaction would be different. The forum might be sympathetic to the new Seahawks player, (Claypool), whilst being hostile towards a prospective Seahawks player, (Shenault), who hadn't yet signed and had previously been a bust. Instead it's the other way around. I'm not 'absolutely' against giving either player a tryout opportunity, but they'd be on a short leash and no way would I give either a significant guarantee. If the team must sign a problem WR at least sign a problem WR with high-end athletic traits.

BASF

Reaction score
@SuperHawk2, welcome to the forum. You expressed your opinion clearly and without being confrontational. Much appreciated.
I think mostly there are posters here that like that he runs like a manly man as opposed to a runner like Shaun Alexander who is villified here for being a coward.

Jville

Reaction score
Although I'm primarily encouraged by what Laviska Shenault brings to Special Teams, he does reinforce and expand on what the wide receiver group makes possible.

With the exit of two experienced and very capable tight ends from the roster, we may see less in the way of 12 and 13 personnel and more 11 and 10 personnel.

Latest posts