Seahawks Sign Mario Edwards

CPHawk

Reaction score
So are we just rolling with a 2-5 now?

Jville

Reaction score
I'm guessing it is going to be a mix depending on down and distance.

I'd like to see them get back to a high energy rotation. Like what materialized in 2012 and led to 4 back to back years of fielding the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. No team may ever duplicate that feat. But, it's an attractive direction.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Another DE :)

If they are going to play some sort of 3-3-5 scheme, then Edwards fits the B-gap role for depth with Reed and Jones.

But yes, still missing another DT/A-gap type of player with Mone and Young the draft pick.

No way I'm comfortable going into camp with just those two, need another DT vet. Still quite a few available, including bringing Harris back. Joseph, Suh, etc. also available.

CactusJack

Reaction score
If they are going to play some sort of 3-3-5 scheme, then Edwards fits the B-gap role for depth with Reed and Jones.

But yes, still missing another DT/A-gap type of player with Mone and Young the draft pick.

No way I'm comfortable going into camp with just those two, need another DT vet. Still quite a few available, including bringing Harris back. Joseph, Suh, etc. also available.
They really need to add another 0/1-tech.

Mone is coming off that injury. I think as we get closer to camp they'll add another body.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
The team does absolutely need to add another big bodied NT to round out depth. But it feels as though it may have moved farther down the Emergency Priority List for the organization than it has for the fans.

It could just be me, but I'm pretty intrigued by what Cameron Young and Robert Cooper can bring to the table as interior run defenders/space eaters. And I think the organization is too.

Also; Mario Edwards is a low key BEAST as a run defender. He reminds a lot of a younger Shelby Harris, which is ironic because Edwards has been in the league for what seems like an eternity. Many moons ago he was the #1 DT prospect in the country and the #3 overall HS player in the country.

The talent is there. And he'll make a fine addition to the DE rotation.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Good Signing, We have a really versatile good looking 4-3 and 3-4 looks. DT's We have movable pieces that are DE and 3 tech spots. We have OLB that rush and can play DE or Leo with a hand down too.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another DE signing when they really need a NT. Edwards is a solid player but DE is not the biggest need. For a DE he lacks pass rush acumen (his best season sack wise, he accumulated 4 sacks. Jarran Reed is a more accomplished sack artist and he's a DT). I have zero confidence in Mone. Young and Cooper are rookies so expectations are not high they can contribute right away. NT is a much greater need.

Last edited:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
They have their eye on some in the camp/cap casualty I’d imagine. Didn’t we get some bigguns in udfa?

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Another DE signing when they really need a NT. Edwards is a solid player but DE is not the biggest need. For a DE he lacks pass rush acumen (his best season sack wise, he accumulated 4 sacks. Jarran Reed is a more accomplished sack artist and he's a DT). I have zero confidence in Mone. Young and Cooper are rookies so expectations are not high they can contribute right away. NT is a much greater need.
I think an amazing NT would be good, but I don't think the hawks need a NT. I still the hawks will be looking for a run stuffer DT/NT towards the end of camp.

With Reed, Jones, Young, Mone, Edwards, and Hall we have some serviceable and versatile DT/DE. These guys can play both the 3/4 DE and the 4/3 DT. Some can play the big 4/3 end while we have enough OLB's/DE's that can play with their hand down in a Leo spot 4/3 over or at the 4/3 end on obvious passing downs.

I am really liking the pick up of Jones, Reed, and Edwards with the rookies. I really am liking how this roster is turning out.

nanomoz

Reaction score
dot net would have been celebrating, bubblies would have poured, if we signed A'Shawn??
They were both realistic signings to improve run defense containment.

Run defense was a bit of a problem last year. There were stretches that it was historicaly bad. As in, in the history of the NFL.

keasley45

Reaction score
Wasn't Edwards pretty recently a practice squad guy... at year 7?

I get how 'conceptually' a guy like him can fit what they want to do, but can this really be anything more than them just kicking the tires a bit and seeing which if the options they've signed will stick?

His last season in Chicago he had something like 17 tackles in 15 games and he didnt rack up much playing time in Tennessee coming off the bench.

Mick063

Reaction score
There was a recent thread asking if the team was in "win now" mode. This looks like a "win now" type move.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete's recent comments on the D-Line scheme has me worried.

It's sounds like they are running it back, doing it the same as last year. Contrary to Sherman's comments of them going back to the old scheme.

Mario Edwards is a great fit for a Base 3-4 DE.