Schneider on Jamal Adams

irfuben32

Reaction score
It worries me that he thinks Adams was playing well. He made some flashy plays but also gave up quite a few plays, especially third down conversions, because he couldn't cover to save his life.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Anyone who really thought that Jamal was some sort of weird solely Pete-driven decision was fooling themselves. John's got the same negatives, guys. He likes the big swing just as much.

And to be fair, he has a point. A lot of the criticism is unfair and narrative-driven. It's not a total exoneration of anyone, but he's right to defend the player he acquired. If he has learned from it, he's right to learn from it privately rather than being like "this guy, who I've had on the team for years and spent a lot to acquire, sucks. He is a mistake and I hate his ass."

John's the leader of the organization. Whattaya want, him to flagellate himself to appease the fans? That's cucky. Block out the noise and stand by your choices. That's a leader.

cymatica

Reaction score
Johns correct, the criticism shouldn't be on Adams, but rather John and the coaches for spending so much on a player that didn't fit the scheme while Pete admitted they were trying to to figure out how to use him in the middle of the season.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This quote right here further backs up my stance that Schneider is not a good GM.

Below average evaluator of talent, poor trade negotiator, below average with managing the cap. Now add refusal to accept responsibility and take blame to boot. Yikes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Adams is not the first nor likely the last player the team has/will trade for that never justified his trade value. Thing is he was pretty special year one after the trade and that play justified his deal which regrettably compounded the lack of return from the trade. Just reammber the team paid for a multiple Pro Bowl SS with a special blitzing ability when healthy. After that year he never was again. It turned out to be a very poor deal.

In result the trade PO’d lots of folks here and it just got worse as he continued to get hurt and never again played up to his once special talent. In the history of the team this trade wasn’t the worst but it was close. At least the team got one Pro Bowl season from this hybrid SS/LB, however then he got. Hurt and never truly got better as he played far before he should have played b/c he was a fierce competitor. We all know that isn’t enough and when the injuries erode physical ability it’s not enough justify a very significant contract was justified by play that wasn’t there anymore.

Feel free to call it a bad trade, but mostly it was buzzard’s luck, yet clearly quite unproductive. However, .if all the players had the desire to play that Adams has the Seahawks would be a very strong team.

Many here create narratives of negativity to support their perhaps fairly held belief in the poor outcome of this trade. JS has told the truth about Adams who could have been special but was blown up by injuries.

keasley45

Reaction score
John is right. The draft that year was 100x more a crap shoot than it typically is. So rather than valuing a 1st as a true 1st, the decided to give their pick to NY for a player who was arguably the best defensive player in the league a year prior. That years 1st meant little to them. Throwing in a 1st the next year would have been worth it were it not for injuries and failures on that side of the ball that had more to do with coaching than anything else. Glad John is addressing it. Adams never gave less that 100%. It wasn't his fault he landed in a system that was in the last years of its viability, given the coaches appointed to lead it.

seahawks08

Reaction score
JS should have been fired before Russ exit for Jamal’s trade. He executed the Russ trade well. The organization struggling after missing the 2nd Superbowl has some impact on him as well. While the team started going down hill, they managed to maintain a winning record which surprised me. In hindsight, if Pete and JS would have asked privately together now, they would admit they would have rebuilt much earlier.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anyone who really thought that Jamal was some sort of weird solely Pete-driven decision was fooling themselves. John's got the same negatives, guys. He likes the big swing just as much.

And to be fair, he has a point. A lot of the criticism is unfair and narrative-driven. It's not a total exoneration of anyone, but he's right to defend the player he acquired. If he has learned from it, he's right to learn from it privately rather than being like "this guy, who I've had on the team for years and spent a lot to acquire, sucks. He is a mistake and I hate his ass."

John's the leader of the organization. Whattaya want, him to flagellate himself to appease the fans? That's cucky. Block out the noise and stand by your choices. That's a leader.
Is it unfair though? When is the last time you've seen a safety go for two first rounders? Especially one that has a skillset that really didn't fit into the defense we were running at the time? The price and pay critiques are well placed and legitimate. The trade was dubious from the very get go. Things get worse when you consider the fact that he wasn't exactly an outstanding teammate in NY.

Jamal Adams also lacked self-awareness, which is what made him so easy for fans to hate on when you consider the price we paid to bring him here. He ran his mouth at every opportunity, he had a bravado that he didn't back up. Any time a player talks like Jamal does and doesn't back it up, ultimately puts a target on their back.

As for John, you know what he did by making that statement? He tried to appease the fans. Giving himself a flogging on TV also would have been a mistake. This is a case where the best course of action was to just shut your mouth and go about your own business. The people that need to know the details already discussed the Adams trade in private, i.e Jody and Vulcan. They surely know the details to a much greater deal than we ever will behind the Adams trade. Trying to justify the decision to the fanbase was a losing proposition the moment he decided to open his mouth.

I surmise that John Schneider didn't like people talking badly about his friend, Pete. At the end of the day Pete is the most culpable party here. If this was Schneiders idea, Carroll had full power to veto it. Carroll also should've had a better idea coming in of how to integrate him into his system. After 2+ years admitting that you're still trying to figure out how to use him is not a vote of confidence. That is something that should have been addressed before the trigger was pulled.

Ultimately, at the end of the day that is the kicker with these failed trades. The guys we went after never really fit the identity of what we wanted to do, or in the case of Percy Harvin, fit the culture of the team. We had a habit of trading for big time players that were not a fit culturally or schematically. Yes, Schneider deserves some of the blame, but the guy in charge was Pete. He had complete control of the situation and had the power to block Schneider, Pete deserves most of the blame here.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
And honestly JS has made multiple bad trades in his time as GM. Now he can no longer act like Pete was pulling the strings.
Carroll was the one at top and it was his schemes that he tried fitting these players into. Schneider is not the one that made the final decisions in Seattle, Carroll had complete control of every facet of the situation. Schneider certainly has some culpability here, but at the end of the day, he wasn't the one making the final call.

xray

Reaction score
Adams is gone , PC is gone . It's the JS show now . The draft is coming and we will be watching to see what he does . If he swings and misses in April , it won't take long for many in here to rip him to shreds . The drama is just starting .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Is it unfair though? When is the last time you've seen a safety go for two first rounders? Especially one that has a skillset that really didn't fit into the defense we were running at the time? The price and pay critiques are well placed and legitimate. The trade was dubious from the very get go. Things get worse when you consider the fact that he wasn't exactly an outstanding teammate in NY.

Jamal Adams also lacked self-awareness, which is what made him so easy for fans to hate on when you consider the price we paid to bring him here. He ran his mouth at every opportunity, he had a bravado that he didn't back up. Any time a player talks like Jamal does and doesn't back it up, ultimately puts a target on their back.

As for John, you know what he did by making that statement? He tried to appease the fans. Giving himself a flogging on TV also would have been a mistake. This is a case where the best course of action was to just shut your mouth and go about your own business. The people that need to know the details already discussed the Adams trade in private, i.e Jody and Vulcan. They surely know the details to a much greater deal than we ever will behind the Adams trade. Trying to justify the decision to the fanbase was a losing proposition the moment he decided to open his mouth.

I surmise that John Schneider didn't like people talking badly about his friend, Pete. At the end of the day Pete is the most culpable party here. If this was Schneiders idea, Carroll had full power to veto it. Carroll also should've had a better idea coming in of how to integrate him into his system. After 2+ years admitting that you're still trying to figure out how to use him is not a vote of confidence. That is something that should have been addressed before the trigger was pulled.

Ultimately, at the end of the day that is the kicker with these failed trades. The guys we went after never really fit the identity of what we wanted to do, or in the case of Percy Harvin, fit the culture of the team. We had a habit of trading for big time players that were not a fit culturally or schematically. Yes, Schneider deserves some of the blame, but the guy in charge was Pete. He had complete control of the situation and had the power to block Schneider, Pete deserves most of the blame here.
I think calling the trade bad is fair. I mean, it was two first rounders for a safety and, shockingly, one of them ended up being what would've been our highest draft pick in 12 calendar years at the time. Sure, we did end up getting a top-10 in that draft anyway, but that's... hella capital.

I think one of the unfair parts is how Jamal's actual play, aside from injury, has been immediately written off as abysmal without further investigation by most parties. Reason being is that you really can't defend Jamal and never could after year 1 of his tenure here if you were in media or anything, because people would take it as also defending the process behind the trade and it'd be bad for your career.

Guys like Matty and Griff tell it like it largely was, and that's that he was pretty good on the field outside of when he was either out with injury or obviously playing injured. He had some silly moments because of his stone hands, but overall, he was one of the most explosive safeties in the league in the box and he COULD execute his coverage assignments decently well, just like he did in New York. They get hate for this because people view it as a defense of Adams conduct off the field and the trade, but it's just a mildly nuanced take that points out the good within the overall bad trade.

I think John is right to point out, however, that Jamal wasn't a bad player and was a tremendous talent. He did have truly incredible potential here to do it all. He just didn't hold up. He had injuries that are fairly extreme in nature, and I think the injuries were largely conflated with him just being outright bad.

I think it's also good of John to point out their rationale for making the trade. I think it's good that he's clarifying their position, the logic behind it, and I mean, I do think there was some defense for it given the context at the time of them knowing this was about to be it with Russell. They got really close to the NFCCG the previous year with a banged up roster and just needed something to bring that team to the next level. It was a misstep, but you know, I can really see what they were thinking with the upside.

At least this wasn't Percy Harvin. We did get some pretty good sustained play out of Jamal here and there at a minimum. But bottom line, while I do believe parts of the logic behind the trade were defensible at the time with Jamal being a legit coveted all-pro talent and us being a few pieces away from true championship contention the precious year, it is undeniably risky to give up two firsts and more for ANY player, and they got bit bad. Could've done quite a bit more with that capital. Gotten a Leonard Williams and more.

Last edited:

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm sure he is tired of the critiques about the compensation it took to get Adams 🤣😂