Same analogy as last year's SB....still missing the mark

Schadie001

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone hear remembers last year leading up to the SB was how on earth is Seattle' Top Ranked D going to handle Denver's Top Ranked O. Hardly a mention of Seattle's O and against Denver's D. Well we all know what happened and how many points we hung on them.

I must be living in the twilight zone because all I've heard again this week is how on earth is Seattle's D going to stop the Packer's O. But again hardly a peep about them stopping us. So I decided to look at just some rankings from last year and this to see how we compared last year vs this year. Obviously this doesn't tell the whole story, that's why they play the game but it was interesting never the less.

2013 Regular Season Rankings

Seattle Seahawks Denver Broncos
Total Offense #18 #1
Rushing Offense #4 #15
Passing Offense #26 #1

Total Defense #1 #19
Rushing Defense #7 #15
Passing Defense #1 #27

2014 Regular Season Rankings

Seattle Seahawks Green Bay Packers
Total Offense #9 #6
Rushing Offense #1 #11
Passing Offense #27 #8

Total Defense #1 #15
Rushing Defense #3 #23
Passing Defense #1 #10

So if you look at us last year compared to this year technically we improved on all levels except dropping one spot in the passing game. So again why is no one talking about our O vs their D.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It's because everyone else besides the PNW and Seahawks fans think Beast Mode is the only offense. Like most team says stop Lynch and they will win the game, well how did that work for the Panthers. They look at our offense and see that we don't put up tons of points or tons of yardage and uses that to determine the better team. I like this, I want Doug and the Pedestrians (New band name?) to stay angry and hungry.

aawolf

Reaction score
I read a great stat here the other day: Russell Wilson is 5-0 against P. Manning, Brady, and Rodgers; the supposedly best QBs in the game. In each of these games, RW has had a better quarterback rating. Think about that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schadie001":1ylq9lv6 said:
I must be living in the twilight zone because all I've heard again this week is how on earth is Seattle's D going to stop the Packer's O. .

What shows are you watching, cause most of the shows/analysts on the NFL Network and ESPN are picking the Hawks.

I know we like to act all indignant and outraged at every morsel of negative commentary on our team, but I've seen very few media members pick the Packers this weekend.

OP
OP
S

Schadie001

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4vxsgs5t said:
Schadie001":4vxsgs5t said:
I must be living in the twilight zone because all I've heard again this week is how on earth is Seattle's D going to stop the Packer's O. .

What shows are you watching, cause most of the shows/analysts on the NFL Network and ESPN are picking the Hawks.

I know we like to act all indignant and outraged at every morsel of negative commentary on our team, but I've seen very few media members pick the Packers this weekend.

I didn't say that they weren't picking the Hawks or that I'm angry. But come on already...We BOTH have Top 10 offenses, we have the #1 Defense, but their D doesn't crack the top 10. The Real Story should be how on earth does the Packers #23 ranked Run Defense stop the Seahawks #1 ranked rushing offense led by the BEAST!!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schadie001":27okr32l said:
Sgt. Largent":27okr32l said:
Schadie001":27okr32l said:

I didn't say that they weren't picking the Hawks or that I'm angry. But come on already...We BOTH have Top 10 offenses, we have the #1 Defense, but their D doesn't crack the top 10. The Real Story should be how on earth does the Packers #23 ranked Run Defense stop the Seahawks #1 ranked rushing offense led by the BEAST!!!!

Guess I'm confused then, isn't this what analysts are suppose to discuss, the individual and team matchups going into the game?

The sexy matchup to discuss is our #1 D against Rodgers and the Packers Offense. THAT'S why it's the majority of the discussion. This isn't PBS or NPR, these shows are trying to get viewers, so they're going to talk about Sherman vs. Rodgers, and Kam vs Lacy.........not "stay tuned, we're going to talk about how is Tramon Williams going to shut down Jermaine Kearse!"

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's the new NFL. Offense rules, fantasy football makes experts out of casual fans, and most people only care about seeing points scored.

Look at most older football fans, and you'll see that most of them appreciate good defense. Younger generation usually talks about fantasy stats and how Player A is going to help his fantasy team win this week.

OP is right in that most of the talk has been about our D vs. their O. Not necessarily "how we're going to stop them" but just the matchups. A lot of this also is speculation about how healthy Rodgers is. That's the big wild card and it's a pretty big issue. If Rodgers was healthy, there would be a lot more parity in the picks going on.

I've heard a couple of times about how our O matches up on their D and every time it's been favorable for our matchup. I would honestly be surprised if we weren't able to run on them. Packers fans can say things have changed all they want, but Shady McCoy ran on them, the Cowboys ran on them....every time they've met up with a top back, he's produced. Scary thing is, that makes their #10 ranking in pass defense look more suspect; how many teams rack up running yards trying to keep Aaron Rodges off the field ? Especially when it's easy to run on them ?

Largent80

Reaction score
In the end, all the talk, even here...matters not.

We saw the result of all the talk last year and this year isn't different. I don't even watch/listen to the media.

Just play football, all the rest is like a McDonalds hamburger....all filler.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fxpbt4b said:
Schadie001":1fxpbt4b said:

Yea every body is picking us to blow out the pack . They got no chance blah blah blah
That in its self worrys me .