Ryan Neal

kidhawk

Reaction score
This move seems odd to me. He's a good value at the price he was extended. Makes me think that maybe his agent has had talks with teams willing to pay him but they don't want to give up the draft capital and he asked them to pay him more or let him free. Pete and John have at times done things like that to work with a player rather than against them. I don't know if that's the case but it is the only thing I can think of right now that makes any sense of this.

keasley45

Reaction score
Smells like maybe Neal isn't happy with the idea that he's going to have his play time reduced or position altered because of Love joining the team. Likely he'd rather play elsewhere for less and be on the field more than he might in Seattle.

Seattle is the type of FO that woukd grant him that opportunity rather than hold him hostage.

It's all about Love...

JerHawk81

Reaction score
This really sucks, but given our cap situation, it actually makes sense. Neal is a great player, and well worth the $3M tag. But it's one of the few moves we could make that saves on cap space.

massari

Reaction score
Was hoping for Diggs, Neal and Love, then free up $8.44M by letting Adams go post june 1

It's going to be fun when Adams is on IR and Neal is balling out elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
This move seems odd to me. He's a good value at the price he was extended. Makes me think that maybe his agent has had talks with teams willing to pay him but they don't want to give up the draft capital and he asked them to pay him more or let him free. Pete and John have at times done things like that to work with a player rather than against them. I don't know if that's the case but it is the only thing I can think of right now that makes any sense of this.
According to this article, Seattle has -5.4 million in effective cap space. This move saves the team 2.64 million.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is cap driven without question but the recent addition in FA of the safety late of the Giants seemingly makes Neal surplus to needs so this cap money might be better used elsewhere.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
With Adams getting healthy and the addition of Julian Love it made sense to cut Neal loose. Gonna miss his energy but he wasn’t the best in coverage tbh

bileever

Reaction score
This is one of those decisions that you can't evaluate unless you've watched the coach's tape, but the coaches must have determined that Julian Love is better than Ryan Neal. In fact, significantly better, to warrant paying $6 million as opposed to the $2.6 million that Neal would have cost. Let's hope that they did a good job of scouting (and self-scouting) and made the right move here.

This also shows the limitations of PFF's metrics (especially when it applies to safeties because you don't know what the player's assignment was on any given play). If Neal is really an all-pro as PFF says, and one of the highest rated safeties in the league according to their grades (4th with an 82.0 grade), then why has he not received any offers when much lower rated safetles like Taylor Rapp (13th), Juan Thornhill (20th), Jessie Bates (24th), Vonn Bell (35th), Love (44th), and Gardner-Johnson (49th) have all been signed? Maybe now that he's no longer a restricted FA, it will be interesting to see if Neal gets a decent offer from another team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hate to lose Neal.

Not many of my Salukis from Southern Illinois University are in the NFL. He's one of only five.

Last edited:

Latest posts