RW's Foundation raises millions. Less than half goes to charity

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I don't know if laws were broken with such a small percentage only used for helping others but you would think that there should be limits on usage of money donated by the public.

This may be an opportunity for the powers at large to tighten the screws on charity setups like this. Even though the officers earning (and I say that lightly) salaries will have to report and pay income taxes, the foundation itself will not. It's working more of a pass through partnershop with approximately 75% going to the "partners".

If the IRS takes a look at this, Wilson and his smarmy agent may become poster children in more ways than one. Publicity can work in both directions.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I always disliked charities (not the people they help) more in a sense of when I was the army, we HAD to give out of each check to a charity, so its like, Cool you pay us crap and you want us to give some of our money away? f that man lol.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
The best bang for your buck with charitable donations would be something like your local Lions club or giving directly to a local food bank.

Almost all charities have way too much overhead & I doubt Russ's foundation is anywhere near the top of the list as the worst. There are lots worse than this.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The fall from how one is perceived as a winner to being perceived as a loser is a steep one indeed.

But the media should treat the winners this way too.

5thgen

Reaction score
Interview on kiro with the guy who wrote the article paints Russell as a scam.

WarHawks

Reaction score
100% of it could gave gone to a charity if he wanted it to. It costs nothing, or at most a few bucks at the bank, to do a wire transfer to a cause he believes in. You don't need to hire anyone to give money away. Ridiculous.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I always disliked charities (not the people they help) more in a sense of when I was the army, we HAD to give out of each check to a charity, so its like, Cool you pay us crap and you want us to give some of our money away? f that man lol.
I had to deal with the same thing where I worked for 33 years. Every year, there was a "campaign" to get us to sign up to have money taken directly out of our pay. I did so at first, but then I decided that this was BS. I decided to keep the money and donate it locally, where I could actually see the results. Now, I volunteer my time and labor. Again, I can see the results with my own eyes. Also, it seems like half of the retail stores where one shops these days are asking for donations for one thing or another. I think that's inappropriate. You're checking out and then the cashier asks, "Would you like to donate to blah blah blah blah?" Everyone in line behind you is listening and I feel like a heel for not doing so, but I don't donate simply because I think this process is wrong.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

There are thousands of foundations. Very likely, several are worse, no source needed other than the math of probability.

Look, the metaproblem here is that Russ insists his inner circle has to be his buddy circle. That’s how he has his agent, who is also his attorney, created the Situation that USA Today spent six months investigating.

GGotskill

Reaction score
There are thousands of foundations. Very likely, several are worse, no source needed other than the math of probability.

No, with a statement like that, you need proof.

Look, the metaproblem here is that Russ insists his inner circle has to be his buddy circle. That’s how he has his agent, who is also his attorney, created the Situation that USA Today spent six months investigating.

Why are you addressing me with "look"? I don't disagree with your statement.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
No, with a statement like that, you need proof.

Why are you addressing me with "look"? I don't disagree with your statement.

Here’s a concrete example, starting with this.

I worked at an animal shelter with both “humane society” and “spca” in its name. Like most, it cut ties because both orgs do Not provide assistance from the funds raised by these Sarah MacLaughlin Arms of an Angel ads.

GGotskill

Reaction score

I worked at an animal shelter with both “humane society” and “spca” in its name. Like most, it cut ties because both orgs do Not provide assistance from the funds raised by these Sarah MacLaughlin Arms of an Angel ads.

"According to information from the organization's 2019 tax forms, $7.75 of each $19 donation went toward hands-on help with animals across the country, and $6.88 went toward public education, communication, policy, response and engagement. This includes things that include appeals for donations like telemarketing and direct mailings. Another $3.65 went toward membership development and other kinds of fundraising. The remainder, about 75 cents, was spent on management. "

So not at all what is happening with Russ' charity. Russ' charity is spending a much higher percentage on management, outside of the IRS guidelines. In your example, they are well within IRS guidelines.

I am not doubting many charities are taking advantage of their donors. I am just requesting evidence/proof that are "tons" of charities that are worse.

rcaido

Reaction score
i wonder if the writer is a scorned nfl fan.

Donn2390

Reaction score

Thanks for that info, every year I donate to several animal rescues, that may come to a halt with this knowledge..